Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #1
Yeti Man OP
Yep, I'm that guy

Oddometer: 1,124
Planing my first big solo ride

OK,

I am trying to screw up the hutzpah to make my first solo ride, Phoenix, AZ to Nashville, TN, about 1700 miles each way. Any suggestions on what to try to plan for? I know the usual things, rain, heat, spares, BMW MOA book etc.

But any suggestions on what else to plan for?, any advice for the first time riding solo for multi days?

I am on a 2008 BMW LT so comfort is not a question, but any advice for the first timer would be great.

Yetters
Old 04-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #2
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
I haven't done trips over very long distances like that, but I'm planning one and have heard a lot about having a set amount of miles a day. If you are doing highway, they will probably be longer than backroads, but one you go over that comfortable amount of daily miles, you could risk discomfort the next day or the rest of the trip.

On my R1, I am planning on doing 125-150 mile mornings and 75-125 afternoons. Maybe 250 at one shot, but not much more than that. If I do go over, I will cut it short the following day to recover.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:02 AM   #3
Yeti Man OP
Yep, I'm that guy

thanks

Rico

Yes, I have that on the list, i was going to ride 500-600 miles a day, over an 8 hour day.

The plan is to ride from 7am to 3pm and get off the road long before dark and to get a good nights rest each day.

I am going to Nashville to see a guitar builder and maybe take the backroads to Kentucky and check out some bourbon distilleries.

Yetters
Old 04-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Get towing service, just in case.

Electric pump+tire kit.

Avoid big greasy meals. They will make riding afterwards more painful.

Personally, I can't stand highways. You just zone out into boredom and fatigue. On the highways, I'm tired after 60 miles. On the backroads, I can ride 400-600 miles and may get sore and exhausted, but I'm happy. I feel like highway riding just drains my soul and there is no point to it. I would rather just drive in a car than ride on a highway.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #5
Yeti Man OP
Yep, I'm that guy

yep

Wi

Agreed on all counts, but i do love regional foods so i might have to break that rule on a few occasions.

What was your first solo ride over 500 miles?

Yetters
Old 04-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #6
tjt94
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
I recommend that you fill up with gas. Be sure your tire pressure is good too. Otherwise, easy ride. I will be taking off early June to ride to Mississippi via Montana. After that I will continue up the east coast, across Canada, back into the US, back to Montana, Oregon, then home. 7 weeks, 10K miles. I expect only fuel and one oil change.
tjt94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:57 PM   #7
Gerg
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,272
I rode from California to just south of Springfield Il and back a few years ago. Best advice I can give you is not to plan, just ride.

Try to get the first 100 miles in the book before breakfast. EAT RIGHT!!! A screwed up system makes riding a hassle.

And as a side note, a GPS that shows weather is a plus.

Sleep ride eat repeat enjoy

BOOF 160, AMA, RA, MOA, HOG
Live life like you stole it!
Your $5 off SMUGMUG Coupon is
hESgLtqESqM1Q

Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #8
Yeti Man OP
Yep, I'm that guy

Yep

Gerg

Yep to all.

Got my 665 getting wired up so i will have XM as well as traffic and weather. And I agree I am thinking too much and riding too little.

Thanks for the 100 mile tip, I will give that a shot!

I will have to drop into Memphis for some good Q, and with KY and bourbon country being 220 miles away, I might have to make a side trip.

Yetters
Old 04-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #9
StriderJim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Hello Yeti,
I've done a fair amount of riding long distance, and have found that--including stops--I average 50mph or a little more, when just riding point-to-point on main highways.

Some folks like to plan for distance, or for hours per day. I've found just riding till I'm ready to stop works. Don't know what you ride, but on a big touring bike, if the weather's decent, I can start at 8AM and ride to 6PM, with stops. That's going to get me about 500 miles.

Don't plan more than you have to. That's my suggestion.

striderJim
North Carolina
'12 Harley Road Glide Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti Man View Post
Rico

Yes, I have that on the list, i was going to ride 500-600 miles a day, over an 8 hour day.

The plan is to ride from 7am to 3pm and get off the road long before dark and to get a good nights rest each day.

I am going to Nashville to see a guitar builder and maybe take the backroads to Kentucky and check out some bourbon distilleries.

Yetters
StriderJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #10
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
I plan a route more or less, but then I just ride each day until I feel like stopping. I've done 600-700 miles in a day and that's way too much. Around 400 is better for a slab trip. Or even less. You want to stop now and then and smell the roses. No way will you cover 500-600 in an 8 hr day unless you are hauling ass on the interstate without stopping. That would be a dawn to dusk day. For 1700 miles on pavement I would give myself 4-5 days and then just hit the road and figure it out along the way. Al
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:04 PM   #11
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALinUTAH View Post
I plan a route more or less, but then I just ride each day until I feel like stopping. I've done 600-700 miles in a day and that's way too much. Around 400 is better for a slab trip. Or even less. You want to stop now and then and smell the roses. No way will you cover 500-600 in an 8 hr day unless you are hauling ass on the interstate without stopping. That would be a dawn to dusk day. For 1700 miles on pavement I would give myself 4-5 days and then just hit the road and figure it out along the way. Al
It is hard to do more than 600 miles in a day. You have stops for gas, lunch, and you need to stop early enough to find a room. Plus you will have construction to slow you down and other things.

Take an airplane if you are just going to ride and not enjoy the trip.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:52 AM   #12
jeffygs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
distance

Ive done many long distance rides. average is only around 35-37 mph on other than highway, if you hit the slab you might hit 50mph pending eating habits. I do not make planned mileage days, to much stress to meet goals, if you fail to meet the first day goal your chasing with long days into nighttime just to make up mileage. My theory. Rise early, eat good with no rushing through a meal, try to stay off the secondary roads after sunset(deer, dogs, and cows), speed limit +5 unless in a town, use a GPS, stop before your tired, stop early if moteling to ensure you get a room at first stop, or when less than an an hour away make a call for reservation(iPhone), carry energy bars (clif) and water for a quick snack, let someone know your route and where you are each evening, I have AAA for that breakdown(hasn't happened yet), keep helmet locked or with you(I have had a helmet stolen at a bike rally(I will never return)). Just my .02
jeffygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:03 AM   #13
cb1313
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Riding through Arkansas

If you look at Arkansas there is only one major expressway going west to east and EVERY thing from 18 wheels to travel trailers on using that road, it can get very busy.
If you take small highways expect to travel about 35-40 miles in an hour. It is wonderful riding the "B" roads but you just do not go very far very fast.
GET GAS before you need it.... the map may show a town but a lot of towns have disappeared with small town gas stationed closed.
Food.... eat where the farmers eat... if there are farm trucks in the parking lot it's a go bet the food is good. ALSO.... bring a tupperwear bowl in the resturant to carry leftovers.... styrofoam does not travel well on a bike. Start picking up little iteams from fast food stores... plactic knife, fork, salt and little packets of everything. Pack in ziplock bag in case something leaks. Napkins to use as toilet paper, take with you everytime you go to a bathroom.
If you stop at motels take the sampoo and stuff, they are light and pack well.

Cb
cb1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #14
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
I'm with CB. There's only two speeds you can tour, as fast as possible and the other one, no matter what bike your riding. I've been all over on a 150cc scooter and still averaged 37 miles Per Road Mile.

I carry a wine bota for water, will stop often for gas or a cig, and always have nuts plus dried fruit to snack on.

You can watch shit go by or participate in the event you are having, take your pick.
rufusswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #15
Yeti Man OP
Yep, I'm that guy

yep

Guys

Thanks for all the good information.

I am planning to be off the slab on on the two laners as much as i can. I am taking 14 days for the whole trip so if i have to go slow, no worries.

Now its just getting the guts to throw my leg over and click those first 100 miles off and to realize the only thing i am scared of is enjoying it too much.

Yetters