Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #16
rdcamp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Make sure to practice with the bike loaded how you will have it on your trip.

Make sure all the tie downs work, etc.

If you have new camping gear, make sure you are proficient in setting up your kit in both light and the dark.

I'm assuming money isn't an issue, get stuff that is easy to set up that you can do fatigued and tired, and sore in the dark and or the rain.

Make sure you can check the oil in the dark, etc

I'm in the process of planning my own long distance trip.... so thanks to everyone who gave advice on this one.
rdcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #17
glwestcott
surfnturf

Oddometer: 10
I do a trip or two like that every year. I did buy a TPM tire pressure monitor after twice having to plug flats in the middle of nowhere, but other than that its throw some extra clothes on the bike, get a leg over, hit the starter and go. You'll have fun. For me the best part is just the total freedom.
glwestcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:24 PM   #18
the_sandman_454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Knock out any maintenance that would be set to come due within the planned trip mileage window if possible. That way, there's no worrying about that while you're on the trip, including but not limited to trying to find somewhere to allow you to work on it or finding a reputable shop to get necessary maintenance done at. Go over the bike pretty carefully to try heading off issues you should've been able to forsee/correct.

Plenty of rest, plenty of hydration, and get up to stretch more frequently than you think you need (in my case this is generally well before I'm ever starting to think of needing fuel).

Slab is convenient to get to where you're going sooner, and/or allow for more time actually exploring your destination. It also allows you to spend more time "out" before you need to think about heading home. I sure wouldn't want to do a whole trip on the slab, but have no problem jumping on it for a while to make up some time here and there.

If camping, make sure to test your gear before getting on the road to make sure you can set it up effectively and even just to make sure all the necessary parts were included by the manufacturer.

Trips to me are/can be more relaxing if you don't have an absolute schedule set for distances and destinations. These things can cause you to push too hard sometimes and that leads to trouble. Until you learn your personal comfort zone, stay on the conservative side of the distance spectrum.

Ear plugs are your friend. Use them anytime you're riding for long periods, particularly at higher speeds. You may not realize it but the constant wind noise can be a source of fatigue.

That's all I've got for now other than suggesting you write a ride report, as this could be interesting.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #19
Yeti Man OP
Yep, I'm that guy

Oddometer: 1,124
Thanks

Guys

Thanks for all the good input, getting the gps, lights, backrest, and saddles sorted out, then an oil change and fresh rubber and I am off.

And yes, ride report will follow.

Yetters
Old 04-29-2013, 04:06 PM   #20
QED
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
No big problems

The only difference between what your planning and what you probably do every weekend, is that you spend the night then keep going the same direction the next day. Make sure your maintenance is good for the trip.

You didn't say how you planned to do the trip; Hotels, camp, eat out and camp, etc..

Lets us know, and you might get more help.

I do a lot of solo long distance trips and, for me, playing it by ear suits me best.
QED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #21
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 966
Solo riding

I do solo long rides every year. Usually Atlanta to Montana and Idaho.

Not mechanically inclined so I have a list of Beemer dealers handy. Only issue I've ever had was finding the right size tires in Wyoming. Took 3 days to get a rear tire bused in, and 3 days in a motel waiting.

I do 500-600 miles a day but bike, weather, camping, being tired changes that quickly. I don't like drinking water but force myself in hot summer weather. Being dehydrated is a no no on long rides. On the road I simply stay away from booze.

On long trips (4,000+ miles)...take a day or half day off, just to rest/wash clothes.

See the sights...if I see something of real interest I might only do a 100 mile day. It is about the trip and sights..not the miles.

Been to a number of the distillery factory tours..hands down. Jack Daniels distillary is the most impressive. Probably 3 hr tour. South of Nashville. Highly recommend. So close to Nashville, I'd do a few miles of the Natchez Trace would be worth it.

Air fare is relatively cheap today. On long, long rides and tired I have on a number of trips put bike and gear in a mini-storage for a month, fly home, to return and pick up where I left off.

Finally - I'm uncomfortable solo without my Glock.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:57 PM   #22
Gimme 2
Team slo ass

Oddometer: 1,904
take as little as possible. let the adventure begin
Old 04-29-2013, 05:05 PM   #23
QED
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Damn right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme 2 View Post
biggest mistake people make is figuring out what they might possible need and taking it. There are stores along the way. If you find you need something, you can always buy it on the road.
QED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #24
Yeti Man OP
Yep, I'm that guy

yep

Yes indeed!

If it dont ft in one of the tree saddlebags, it aint going!

Besides, I need room for bourbon to bring home!

Yetters
Old 04-30-2013, 11:12 PM   #25
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti Man View Post
Wi

Agreed on all counts, but i do love regional foods so i might have to break that rule on a few occasions.

What was your first solo ride over 500 miles?

Yetters
Oh, absolutely, gotta try the local foods. I meant it in the context of big meals at McDonalds and other chains. Best to stay away from sugars that will have you crash 1/2 hour later as well...

When I started riding, I explored a lot on my own. My first 500 mile ride was probably wondering around West Virginia somewhere. (I'm in DC.) But now, 500 mile rides are pretty standard for guys in this area. 400-ish mile day rides is what it takes to get to the top roads and sights from DC...
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #26
Rider351
Dude not Dud

Oddometer: 130
Cool2 Careful in the small towns....

I am in AZ...
Did my first long ride 3 years ago and was tracked closely by the local sheriff and chased by hillbillys.

No booze on the trip and as others have said - find the hotel when you are about 1 hr from it. My wife operates as my command center and finds me the best deals on TripAdvisor. I call when I am about 1 hr from the desired spot.

I am doing MI to West Virgina and back to AZ in Sept amd am wondering which backroads to mix in with the slab. SEND IDEAS ....Nashville a must.

Another good note was hit the slab in late afternoon and get off the country roads. I learned that via the deer fear factor....had a few fly past me.

Good tips gang

Tom
MOA #150128
http://www.ownthemind.com
Rider351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #27
cb1313
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Arkansas ?

Will you be riding through Arkansas ? cb
cb1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:50 PM   #28
Yeti Man OP
Yep, I'm that guy

Dont know

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1313 View Post
Will you be riding through Arkansas ? cb

CB

My route takes me south of Little Rock and then up the slab to Memphis, Nashville and into KY.

Got some cool sights to check out?

Yetters
Old 05-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #29
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Yea, he's saying that if you slab thru Arkansas (the Ozark mountains) you have missed it.
rufusswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #30
Yeti Man OP
Yep, I'm that guy

Dood!

Rufus

School me bro!

Whats the best route to see the good stuff?

Yetters