Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 07:24 AM   #31
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 959
The 'scenic' routes may not be on the way to where you are going !

Check out the Ozark Region here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozarks

The thru route to the south is OKC, Little Rock amd Memphis. The thru route to the north is OKC, Tulsa, Springfield MO and Sikeston. Both are 4 lane boring and avoid the mountains in NW Ark.

If you have the time, go somewhere in between, it may be slow but it makes for great riding. You can go to Tulsa and hook south a bit on 69 and enter at Ft Smith Ark or just turn left and explore your way across. Both states are about 300 miles wide.

Hwy 62 crosses in north Ark until you hit bayou country, then you can go to Jonesboro, then Memphis. Unless you turn north up to Sikeston.

On the MO side you can take 160 and skirt the state line or 76 and catty-wampus your way east.

Plan on at least one day to get in and one to get out. Here are the Ark scenic stuff: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkansas_Scenic_Byways
rufusswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #32
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 959

The thru route to the south is OKC, Little Rock amd Memphis. The thru route to the north is OKC, Tulsa, Springfield MO and Sikeston. Both are 4 lane boring and avoid the mountains in NW Ark.

If you have the time, go somewhere in between, it may be slow but it makes for great riding. You can go to Tulsa and hook south a bit on 69 and enter at Ft Smith Ark or just turn left and explore your way across. Both states are about 300 miles wide.

Hwy 62 crosses in north Ark until you hit bayou country, then you can go to Jonesboro, then Memphis. Unless you turn north up to Sikeston.

On the MO side you can take 160 and skirt the state line or 76 and catty-wampus your way east.

Plan on at least one day to get in and one to get out. Here are the Ark scenic stuff: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkansas_Scenic_Byways
rufusswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #33
gharnden
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Rain Gear and Tools

Get the best rain gear you can afford
More tools than basic kit
Tubes, tire irons, tube plug kit, and portable air compressor
Having said that, do not take more than you need. I always seem to
over pack. It adds unnecessary weight causeing the bike to not handle as
good. As already suggested, you can always buy things on the road as
needed.
Get a great tank bag
Your bike has great wind protection which is one of the most important things
to me. You can go for many extra miles with great wind protection. A
good frame mounted fairing/windshield is worth its weight in gold. I have
an Aeroflow on my R1200GS and my bike is as good as my RT on the
highway.
Eat a decent breakfast, light at lunch, and what ever you want at night.
gharnden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #34
Mr_Gone
Innocent Culprit

Oddometer: 3,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusswan View Post

+1 on riding through the Ozarks (northwestern Arkansas and southern Missouri). Much better than anything north or south.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #35
cb1313
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Arkansas

I am in North Central Arkansas about 15 miles from the Missiour border. Route 62 travel through my town ( Mountain Home).
Google M/H and blow it up untill you have Tulsa to the left, Springfiel. MO in the north , Little Rock to the south and Memphis to the east.
THERE ARE NO MAJOR roads except route 62 so the means EVERYTHING travels on 62. It's a nice ride but can be a headach due to lack of passing and small town cops. I have about 40,000 mile in 10 years of back road riding here and you CAN NOT be in a hurry. There is a north-south road from Little Rock to Springfield the can save some time but I don't think you are going that from North.
Most any "B" roads between Springfield and little Rock are great back roads BUT you can expect to only travel 35-45 miles in a hour. There ARE small areas the have 4 lanes but they only last for a few miles.
I have traveled from Little Rock to Memphis and it's flat and full of Cottons fields, Highway 40. Nothing to see and can be dusty and windy. Also full of 18 wheelers.
Between Oklahoma City and Little Rock there is a toll road with a very high speed limit 80 mph ( I could be wrong , it has been a few years ago). Doesn't cost much and it was nice to be able to blast down the road for a while (car). Not much to see either.

Cb
cb1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:49 AM   #36
Yeti Man OP
Yep, I'm that guy

Oddometer: 1,124
Thanks

CB

Thanks for the tips, will plug them into BaseCamp for Garmin and see where i can go!

Yetters
Old 05-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #37
Ironheadziggy76
What the hell?

Oddometer: 470
I don't know how old you are, but I'm a fat old fart with a bad back, knee, shoulder, etc. Get gas before you need it, and walk around a bit at each stop to keep the joints from getting stiff. Hit the can, grab a bottle of water or something to stay hydrated with.

I always pack way too many clothes. Just take what you really need for rain and temp changes. As others have said, you can always pick up what you forgot along the way.

I have extra 12 volt outlets on all my bikes so I can charge batteries, phone, what have you.

The main thing is to relax and enjoy the trip! I'm sure you've probably already checked out this site, but just in case.

http://kybourbontrail.com/

Living in Western Kentucky I think you will find most everyone friendly for the most part. If you tour the Jack Daniels distillery and then head north on I-65 toward the Bourbon Trail, and you like Corvettes, stop in Bowling Green, KY. The National Corvette Museum is there as well as the Corvette plant, the museum normally has at least one of every year Vette on display.
Ironheadziggy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #38
Yeti Man OP
Yep, I'm that guy

Oddometer: 1,124
well

Zig

Well I feel like an old fart (49) but try to act younger as often as i can. But all of your input is well received and I will work it into my plans.

And yes, the bourbon trail website is saved on my computer.

Yetters