Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #16
Cos
Re-Greekified

Oddometer: 10,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Man View Post
I have an '06 Tiger 955i; not sure if the Daytona suffers the same maladies but the charging system on the Tiger sucked and was easily upgraded. Good info on the Triumph forums.

Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #17
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos View Post
I like option 1

I'm in Cyprus, so i'm out of options for the foreseeable future.

I'm not even sure i should spend the money on springs, but i feel it'd finish the farkling...well, for now anyway.
I have a little more land to deal with, my mom lives 12Km away, and she is my closest immediate family member.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #18
VFR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
I'm glad to see this thread!! I just bought an '05 Daytona--haven't even picked it up yet. The bar position reminded me of my Blackbird--those bars came off quick! I tried to get Heli-Bars but they don't sell those anymore & didn't offer to make me a set. I found a set of Cycle Cat bars on eBay. Those should be here about time I get the bike.

This one has a aftermarket pipe on it--no cat--& is hard starting + seems very lean. I have Tune ECU & the cable for my Tiger 1050 but have no clue as to what map to use. The Tiger forum had a complete list of maps & were very helpful. I joined RAT & have been very disappointed--not much help & locked out of many of the threads.

Anyway, I'll be following along on this thread.

If it ain't fun, I don't do it!!!

Stuff - I need more Stuff....
VFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #19
Cos
Re-Greekified

I disabled SAI and loaded the A/F Warren tune.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:45 PM   #20
Datan556 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
so here we go

Bought some 30A fuses and a 35A just for a test. Battery is on charge and will see how it turns out. I don't have an owners manual so everything is off diagrams personal help and of course the forums. My fuse is blown because of a short somewhere. The lightning picture on fuse box blows out because of that. Read up its because of faulty rectifiers/regulators on these triumphs. Any suggestions, as I do not know yet if its the rec/reg that's causing the short.

Any help or advice wil be valued throw in some marriage advice as to deal with wife nagging about yet another bike that needs fixing inside the house!
Old 04-26-2013, 10:51 PM   #21
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR View Post
I'm glad to see this thread!! I just bought an '05 Daytona--haven't even picked it up yet. The bar position reminded me of my Blackbird--those bars came off quick! I tried to get Heli-Bars but they don't sell those anymore & didn't offer to make me a set. I found a set of Cycle Cat bars on eBay. Those should be here about time I get the bike.

This one has a aftermarket pipe on it--no cat--& is hard starting + seems very lean. I have Tune ECU & the cable for my Tiger 1050 but have no clue as to what map to use. The Tiger forum had a complete list of maps & were very helpful. I joined RAT & have been very disappointed--not much help & locked out of many of the threads.

Anyway, I'll be following along on this thread.
Just run a TOR tune to start with. That bike may not have had a cat to start with, so don't worry about that terribly.

...check out thespeedtriple.com, there are a pile of maps on there as well, and a number of guys that were running 955is back in the day.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:37 AM   #22
Datan556 OP
Adventurer

cheers

thanks for the help so far. will do all the fluids all round. Guess what the country is at a standstill today with all the rain happening. Well its the first time in 3 years. Its like England coming to an absolute standstill when it snows

now chaps a slight problem, the guy told me there is a short somewhere when i bought it, well i hooked it up today and the km on clock said 12 399km. almost fell on my back! thats not too bad innit?

anyway, didnt want to turn over, instead a trrrrrrrrrrrr sound came from the bottom left. My thought its side stand sensor that is shorting out. Fuses still intact after a couple of trrrrrrr starts. I will add that I used my Dodge Ram battery on it cause the original battery was shot. Might that be problem? I hope to God that its not the stator, but that cant be, its only done 12k on the clock. hahahaha pardon my ignorance, I know somewhere somebody will cringe when they read about hooking a pick ups battery to it!

Can not get anything done today, roads are flooded and most of the shops are closed.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #23
Datan556 OP
Adventurer

hold on hold on, first of all im yet again a massive idiot, can not be the side stand sensor. its the selenoid ticking over fast. used the pick up battery, so ill just have to be patient and get a new one when shops are open again.

cant bloody wait though, guess il go and farkle the KTM instead whilst im waiting for weather to clear up!
Old 04-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #24
Cos
Re-Greekified

Was the truck running when you used it to jump the bike?
Old 04-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #25
Datan556 OP
Adventurer

Nope, I used my old clothes iron's wire to extend the battery on the floor to the terminals on the bike, battery too big to put on the body of bike and connect terminals.

Didnt use jumper cables
Old 04-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #26
VFR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Just run a TOR tune to start with. That bike may not have had a cat to start with, so don't worry about that terribly.

...check out thespeedtriple.com, there are a pile of maps on there as well, and a number of guys that were running 955is back in the day.

Thanks, I'll check that out. I just looked at my list of maps I got with TuneECU & find that it lists maps for all Triumph models. So, it seems I have some to try. I am hoping the cable that works on my Tiger 1050 will also work on the Daytona.

The factory service manual came in the mail Friday and I have been reading that. I should have the bike next week so I will pull the tank & check for an aftermarket air filter, although the tunes don't differentiate between stock & aftermarket filters like the Tiger tunes do

I am also thinking of buying another ecu. A check on eBay shows several that look the same except for the last numbers. Hoping the only difference is the tune, which I will change anyway. I did that on the Tiger JIC....

If it ain't fun, I don't do it!!!

Stuff - I need more Stuff....
VFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:27 PM   #27
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR View Post
Thanks, I'll check that out. I just looked at my list of maps I got with TuneECU & find that it lists maps for all Triumph models. So, it seems I have some to try. I am hoping the cable that works on my Tiger 1050 will also work on the Daytona.

The factory service manual came in the mail Friday and I have been reading that. I should have the bike next week so I will pull the tank & check for an aftermarket air filter, although the tunes don't differentiate between stock & aftermarket filters like the Tiger tunes do

I am also thinking of buying another ecu. A check on eBay shows several that look the same except for the last numbers. Hoping the only difference is the tune, which I will change anyway. I did that on the Tiger JIC....
The cable should be fine on either bike, usually the biggest technical hurdle with TuneECU is getting the USB driver to work. On a 2005 unless it was a very late run of that model year you should have a Sagem ECU, not the Klelien that the 2006+ 955Is and all of the 675s and 1050s use
Old 05-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #28
Datan556 OP
Adventurer

OK ladies and gents. All of my stress was in vein. It was only the battery. I found that you can not use a clothes iron's wire to jump start a Triumph or any other machine for that matter.

The battery was the correct fix and my earlier worries of frying the bike has now passed.

A 12v 12ah battery is the key. The short I found under seat and now she purs like a kitten. Went for a ride every morning since Thursday. It as been a joyous occasion to hear those three cylinders kick up.

Starting up there is no need for throttle twist. Idling is a bit low when hot but no big problem. I have been very cautious with my right hand, she stood for a year and a half under a cover so easing her in I think is key to longer living engine. Any thoughts on that or can I now yank the sh*t out the bike on the back highways of the city?

https://twitter.com/datan556/status/...902080/photo/1
Old 05-04-2013, 01:55 AM   #29
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datan556 View Post
OK ladies and gents. All of my stress was in vein. It was only the battery. I found that you can not use a clothes iron's wire to jump start a Triumph or any other machine for that matter.

The battery was the correct fix and my earlier worries of frying the bike has now passed.

A 12v 12ah battery is the key. The short I found under seat and now she purs like a kitten. Went for a ride every morning since Thursday. It as been a joyous occasion to hear those three cylinders kick up.

Starting up there is no need for throttle twist. Idling is a bit low when hot but no big problem. I have been very cautious with my right hand, she stood for a year and a half under a cover so easing her in I think is key to longer living engine. Any thoughts on that or can I now yank the sh*t out the bike on the back highways of the city?

https://twitter.com/datan556/status/...902080/photo/1
Break in was already done.

I might get a bit of oil and send it off to get analyzed, seafom run it around for 15-20 miles change that oil out (do NOT run with seafoam in your oil for over 100 miles) and then just let her rip.

Those 955is at full long sound amazing.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #30
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datan556 View Post
OK ladies and gents. All of my stress was in vain [fixed].
Unless, of course, your blood pressure was up too high!

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote