Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
lacofdfireman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 733
What used bike would you pick out of these 2? (Pics inside)

I have a few GSA's that I am choosing from and was wondering what your opinions are on the bikes. I realize you can't actually see them in person but I will throw out some specs and a couple pics at ya. Keep in mind both bikes are $11k.

2008 GSA 25k miles. ESA, ASC, Enduro Trans, TPM, ABS and side panniers. Seat Concepts front seat. No top case

2009 GSA 47k miles, Stock Suspension (No ESA) ASC, Enduro trans, TPMS, ABS Full Akro Race exhaust. Bill Mayer Custom front and rear seat. Both of us are the same weight but realize our butts may not be shaped the same. haha

Never seen a double can like this on a GSA. Is this something new? Would this be excessively loud? I don't care for loud..

So what's your opinion.
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:41 PM   #2
Marki_GSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
It's just a shotgun Akro, not that uncommon and not new. How loud depends on if the street baffles are in or not but they meet EU noise regulations with them in.
I don't like all the electronic gadgets so I probably wouldn't have either of these. Personally if I had to get one of these it would be the 08 because of its lower miles. Both of them at their core are the same bike so no more or less reliable than each other. This assumes they are in equally good condition?
Marki_GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:47 PM   #3
motocrotts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
08 for sure, less miles, aftermarket seat, which you'll need. Electric suspension, which is great. Make sure all recalls have been done and fuel gage works. Plus loud bikes SUCK!
14 Sherco 2.9
few other oldies
motocrotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:54 PM   #4
lacofdfireman OP
Studly Adventurer

The 08 is the one I am leaning towards. It's only 100 miles away compared to over 600 on the other. Both have aftermarket seats. The 08 has a Seat Concepts drivers seat and the 09 has Dual Bill Mayer seats.

I will have to spend $500 on a top box for the 08 but yes it does have ESC and lower miles. It's a hard decision for me right now. Seller of the 09 says he would meet me half way and has stock exhaust. I could probably sell the Akro for $5-600 to add some farkles to it. GPS etc... But it does have almost double the miles even though it's a year newer..
Old 08-09-2014, 04:19 PM   #5
diabolik37
Push Dumb C***

Oddometer: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacofdfireman View Post
The 08 is the one I am leaning towards. It's only 100 miles away compared to over 600 on the other. Both have aftermarket seats. The 08 has a Seat Concepts drivers seat and the 09 has Dual Bill Mayer seats.

I will have to spend $500 on a top box for the 08 but yes it does have ESC and lower miles. It's a hard decision for me right now. Seller of the 09 says he would meet me half way and has stock exhaust. I could probably sell the Akro for $5-600 to add some farkles to it. GPS etc... But it does have almost double the miles even though it's a year newer..
Unless you like Red... They always said red is faster....

I'm with Marki_GSA on this: too much electronics on both...
Old 08-09-2014, 04:21 PM   #6
lacofdfireman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolik37 View Post
Unless you like Red...
Of course I like "RED" I'm a Fireman...
Old 08-09-2014, 04:29 PM   #7
diabolik37
Push Dumb C***

Quote:
Of course I like "RED" I'm a Fireman...

Red it is then.... Other than the mileage, it does look a lot better and I think you'll have more fun with it. Gray is old and boring...

Go with your heart not your brain on this one...
Old 08-09-2014, 04:37 PM   #8
lacofdfireman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolik37 View Post
Red it is then.... Other than the mileage, it does look a lot better and I think you'll have more fun with it. Gray is old and boring...

Go with your heart not your brain on this one...
The only thing holding me back on the Red one is mileage and no ESC. I had ESC on my last GSA and loved it. Being 260lbs it was nice because most bikes stock suspension is for guys like 175lbs which I am nowhere near...
And yes I think the Red looks better
Old 08-09-2014, 04:45 PM   #9
diabolik37
Push Dumb C***

Quote:
The only thing holding me back on the Red one is mileage and no ESC. I had ESC on my last GSA and loved it. Being 260lbs it was nice because most bikes stock suspension is for guys like 175lbs which I am nowhere near...
And yes I think the Red looks better
The mileage is not really that much. My engine did started to go better at around 50K. And I like the fact that the previous owner had already started to go in the right direction with the exhaust system. You also get the top box that the other one doesn't have. All you have to do is put a nice set of shocks design for your weight and you will smile all day on a bike that also has the right color....

What you think?
Old 08-09-2014, 04:52 PM   #10
la-motor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:

Get the 2008...If the spotless garage behind it is any indication, it's a lot cleaner and better maintained...no further discussion is necessary.
la-motor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:19 PM   #11
apleschu
Chief Cat Herder

Oddometer: 205
Miles are not a problem if the records are there that the bike has been kept up and the maintenance done. 47k is no mileage for that engine, it's just broken in. I do not agree with the Luddites here that there is too much electronics on the bikes. The missing ESA can be a positive or negative at the same time, and that depends mostly on your riding situation. If your load changes very often, the ESA is worth its weight inn gold, if your load does not change very often, ESA becomes just another gadget. I have the seat concepts seat, because it came highly recommended and I will sell it again and get me another seat (Rick Mayer) in my case. So the Bill Mayer seat is definitely worth more than the seat concepts, which I again do not like at all. Just doesn't fit my ass.

The louder exhaust would turn me off, but if he has the original can, you always switch it back. Having the top case already mounted is a definite plus.

I guess if I would be riding all the time with the same load and weight, I personally would choose the 09, if my load changes all the time I'd go for the 08. I put a high value on the ESA, having experienced and used it.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:31 PM   #12
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,766
Get the '09. ESA is going to be an expensive fix later on down the road (or sooner) if you get the '08. You can always flog the Akro pipes here and put on a cheap used stock one.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:39 PM   #13
lacofdfireman OP
Studly Adventurer

Here is a link to the 09 that I am considering. http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/4570230899.html

The 08 is in the flea market here under Las Vegas GSA
Old 08-09-2014, 05:44 PM   #14
Coma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Anything above 40k miles and I'd price in a drive shaft and a clutch. Unless you can confirm they are good, maybe brakes, too. Tires? The exhaust is a no add. Topcase is easy to pick up used. Red is faster, however.

Never take your bike someplace your head hasn't already been.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:50 PM   #15
bobbybob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
I always buy with an eye towards resale, and miles are awfully important--witnessed here by your willingness to pay $11K for either an '08 or an '09! In other words, the '08 is worth the same as an '09 because of the low miles. Or maybe more!

In another 20K miles the '08 will still be marketable at a fair price. The other will not fare as well.

bobbybob screwed with this post 08-09-2014 at 05:59 PM
bobbybob is offline   Reply With Quote