User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
One Lung Wonder OP
Banned

Oddometer: 30
Fuel Burn

Last year on a road trip my buddy and I took off on a minor excursion with one passenger each. I am on one of those chit house garden variety C90T Suzuki 1500s (no mods) and he was on the Cow 900...both bikes V twins.

Our fuel burns were almost identical. Have any of you guys noticed that? I woulda thunk my fuel bill would have been much higher than his because I was riding a significantly larger bike...
One Lung Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,289
I think generally a smaller engine will tend to get better mileage, but that's by no means a hard rule. I get better mileage in similar riding conditions with my ZRX than I do with my GL1000, though I do get about 20 mpg more than the ZRX when riding the DR.

Compared to other friends' bikes, it's kind of a crapshoot - my dad's GL1500 gets slightly better mileage than the ZRX when we go on trips, I'm about even with a couple of older CBs.

I think sometimes a bigger engine can be more efficient under certain conditions - I notice almost no difference in mileage on my bigger bikes when riding at high speed, whereas the little engine in the DR suffers (also a product of the dirtbike aerodynamics, I'm sure). The bigger, more powerful engine can usually turn lower RPMs to maintain the same speed, which can sometimes lead to better fuel efficiency, depending on the engine.
SloMo228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:07 AM   #3
Hoodcounty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
The C90 has a gear box well matched to the engine output so it's a very efficient bike.
When I let folks ride mine I can't convince them it's only producing 67hp.

Did you track your milage? Mine runs 41 mpg at 75mph and 43 at 65 mph.

Hoodcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:28 AM   #4
Scott of the Sahara
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
This is a contest I have every time I go on a long ride. My friend with the Harley Road King usually gets just a bit worse mileage than my Moto Guzzi Norge. 2.75 Gallons to 2.8. The guys with the really Big bikes VX1800 and Stratoliner 1900 are drinking much more fuel. 3.25 Gallons.
Scott of the Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote