Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 07:18 AM   #31
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,793
The Ducati 900SS (That's Hunter S. Thompson pictured with his famous review of it)

There's a lot of downside, to hear modern Duc owners and people who have never owned a Duc talk about the old stuff. Desmo is weird. Wimpy frame. blahbittyblahbitty-blah. Hold me, I'm scared.

I had one in the early-mid nineties. I sold it in 97' after 2 years of ownership. I still have dreams about it.

I fought with the carbs. I fought with the motor. I sucked as a mechanic back then, and probably still do (I've managed to control the compulsion for disassembling things to "see what's in there").

This is a bike built for triple digits and speedways. It's not a commuter. It's not a grocery getter. It's gloriously purpose built and reminiscent of that time when makers were feeling their way along in the sportbike market while Ducati was delivering what you needed to win races and hung a license plate frame on it.

If you will ever understand the mystique and draw of Ducati, you can most assuredly do it peeking over the gauges of this bike while doing triple digits.

People who have only ridden modern bikes or Japanese L4 bikes kind of stand back afterward like the Grinch looking down on Whoville Christmas morning muttering "but it did it without traction control. It did it without a map. It did it without Ohlins, multi-valves, or CAD." And then your heart will grow two sizes bigger, and you will never be the same again.

Every time I walk up on one of these things now, it's like a metal version of the Hallelujah chorus plays while a 20 year old Sophia Loren stands waiting for me in a slinky dress and rolling her eyes like she knew I'd be back sooner or later.
That crazy ex you can't help but think about in the wee hours, that's what this bike is. It's a ticket to awesome town, and I think everyone should ride/own this Italian bird at least once. Whether she loves you back or not, you'll have a hard time not understanding the appeal.

kraven screwed with this post 04-27-2013 at 07:44 AM
kraven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:20 AM   #32
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Dreaming a little here. Ducati Desmosedici , Honda NR.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:00 AM   #33
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
Zx14.
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:10 AM   #34
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Yamaha RD350.

XR Sportster (750, 1000, 1200... doesn't matter)

Triumph Triple. (2000 or newer) (675, 800, 955, 1050, 1200 doesn't matter)

KTM XCW (250, 300, 450, 500 doesn't matter (just varying degrees of how fast you realize you will die if you keep riding it)

DR 650 Nothing exciting... it just works. (and they hold up much better in crashing than their more popular KLR cousin)

And for the: "At least ride a loaner through a tunnel" catagory a Moto Guzzi and/or a V-Rod with a good sounding set of pipes. (You WILL turn around and ride back through the tunnel!)
Old 04-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #35
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,471
The ones that have shaped me.
Honda 50 Step-thru. My first bike and the bike I started racing trains on. Beleive me , when you have your head down and the throttle pinned, 45 mph on the #2 gravel that makes up the service road beside the track and the train is swaying right beside you, well that's pretty exiting for a 13 year old.

Honda 350 G. The first time I was leagal on the road. !0,000 miles in a year and my first out of state trip, 7 states in 2 weeks on $115.00. Had to love the 70's.

Suzuki TM 400. The bike no train could keep up with.

Kawasaki Z-1B. I rode this bike so much that if I saw someone I knew while I wasn't riding, they'd say "Where's your motorcycle? You don't look right without it. "

Ducati 860. Bought used in '79. Changed a lot of my ideas of what a motorcycle should do for you.

Ducati 250 Scrambler. Much modified, Desmo head, 36 mm Del'orto , meagaphone and clip-ons. Raced to an AHRMA national championship in 1988.

Ducati 900 SS 1991. My first "modern" bike. In that it had 17" wheels , triple discs and Radial tires. Still an air-cooled 2 valve motor though.

Can-Am Sonic 500 Ridden on hills and trails where walking would be difficult.

'92 KLR 650. Just ride it .Everywhere.

There are more, but this gives you the main idea.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #36
vicster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,012
I've owned/had in the family garage a lot of the bikes listed here;
250 Ninja
'97 Speed Triple
DR
Rocket III (2 of 'em)
750 Honda K1
'54 Panhead (all original)
'70 BSA Lightining
etc. etc.

I've got to get a Ducati in there somewhere.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #37
mwood7800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
I had a cr500 for 3 yr. just wanted one before they stopped production. I managed to wreck in front of everyone I rode with, usually the bike was 100 ft ahead of me. The one time I stayed with it was going through a barbed wire fence. I would like to find a shifter cart with that motor.
mwood7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #38
0ldhippie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
This would be my short list. I'm not sure ya need to own them but ya should experience them?

Triumph 650 Bonneville - Good enough for Marlon Brando, Steve McQueen and a generation.

Honda cb350 - Realize how bad motorcycles were.

Suzuki SV650- All a motorcycle needs to be

Ducati 916 - Sexy!!!

Kawasaki zx10r - Ya don't know fast...

Harley Electraglide - If I have to explain ya wouldn't understand
Old 04-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #39
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worroll View Post
Zx14.

This. If you REALLY like riding motorcycles, you owe it to yourself to at least get a ride on one.
BigIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #40
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,758
Yamaha YZ80!

I think the fear and loathing of the CR500 is from anybody that has ridden that Satan in the woods. Grab a little too much throttle and you will eat a tree face first. Dunes are what it does best.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #41
jersey jim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,056
Yamaha V-Max, love that v4. I bought an 86 after a friend bought one, I had to have v-boost in my life. Scary in corners of you pushed it too hard, but god what an engine. I had a 4-1 pipe on mine, awesome soundtrack too.

13 HD Ultra Limited, 03 Yamaha Road Star Warrior ( for sale! )
jersey jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #42
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 6,024
Must ride list:

HD Shovelhead for reasons posted earlier. You can run faster than it, you can stop a fully loaded locomotive faster than it actuates its cable operated drum brakes, but it rumbles and thumps like nothing else.

Honda Trail 70, 90 or 110. Pure cycling bliss at its most pure.

Any Ducati superbike. Riding one is like getting your nervous system jacked like Neo in the Matrix, with the side effect of the dual pulsing exhaust notes raising into a scream as the revs rise. Avoid owning one, they become crazy fickle after a short time and like most Latin things, require needless coddling and attention in the garage.

BMW GS. Similar to the Honda Trail 70, 90, 110. Despite the overload of sensors, electrical systems on most modern GS bikes, it is a pleasure to ride, makes you remember why you started throwing a leg over something with two wheels again.

Big Bore four stroke motocross bikes (as a general category). Whether you set them up for dual sport, motard or MX, get ready to have your arms stretched. Torque aplenty and grins every time on 'em.

ROKON. Need I say more?

Kawasaki H1, H2. The frame that hinged in the middle, slung with an engine that delivered power like a lightswitch. Fun. Seriously scary. Like sex and a car crash rolled into one, you won't know how to fathom the experience.

BMW HP2 of any variety. If you think the Boxer variety motor is only able to deploy sub 150hp, you haven't ridden wave after effortless wave of torque coming from the German god of opposed cylinders. Built like no other bike, rare, and exceeding all expectations. Bikes that don't measure up well on paper but convince you with a little seat time.

Honda Hawk (89-91) proving it's not the arrow, it's the Indian. Finesse and smooth movements are rewarded with this wee little Honda. Pity they didn't carry on the recipe. Suzuki did, however and the SVs are also as much fun.

Aprilia RS250. Wind the piss out of it to get it on the pipe. But keeping it there isn't always easy and it's no commuter. Light, light, light and loved corner speed.

1996 M900, 2012 GS 2008 Megamoto 2008 S2R
2006 HP2e
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #43
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,620
IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #44
Akronorka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Gs500
Cbr1000rr
Akronorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:00 PM   #45
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 19,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
The Ducati 900SS (That's Hunter S. Thompson pictured with his famous review of it)

There's a lot of downside, to hear modern Duc owners and people who have never owned a Duc talk about the old stuff. Desmo is weird. Wimpy frame. blahbittyblahbitty-blah. Hold me, I'm scared.

I had one in the early-mid nineties. I sold it in 97' after 2 years of ownership. I still have dreams about it.

I fought with the carbs. I fought with the motor. I sucked as a mechanic back then, and probably still do (I've managed to control the compulsion for disassembling things to "see what's in there").

This is a bike built for triple digits and speedways. It's not a commuter. It's not a grocery getter. It's gloriously purpose built and reminiscent of that time when makers were feeling their way along in the sportbike market while Ducati was delivering what you needed to win races and hung a license plate frame on it.

If you will ever understand the mystique and draw of Ducati, you can most assuredly do it peeking over the gauges of this bike while doing triple digits.

People who have only ridden modern bikes or Japanese L4 bikes kind of stand back afterward like the Grinch looking down on Whoville Christmas morning muttering "but it did it without traction control. It did it without a map. It did it without Ohlins, multi-valves, or CAD." And then your heart will grow two sizes bigger, and you will never be the same again.

Every time I walk up on one of these things now, it's like a metal version of the Hallelujah chorus plays while a 20 year old Sophia Loren stands waiting for me in a slinky dress and rolling her eyes like she knew I'd be back sooner or later.
That crazy ex you can't help but think about in the wee hours, that's what this bike is. It's a ticket to awesome town, and I think everyone should ride/own this Italian bird at least once. Whether she loves you back or not, you'll have a hard time not understanding the appeal.
Got one of those sitting in my shop at this very minute. It no longer belongs to me. My 25 year old nephew now owns it and I doubt he'll ever sell it. Whenever I hear that bike, from any distance, I know what bike it is. It makes the most beautiful noise any bike has ever made.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote