Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #46
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Kraven, very poetic, you should try riding one of the fast ones, those old 900s aren't the fast ones. The 4valvers are a whole 'nuther nut altogether.

CR500s. I've had 2. 65hp. 220 lbs or so, claimed. You guys either didn't try very hard, or you didn't practice enough. I rode short track, TTs, hare scrambles and an Enduro on mine. You learn throttle control. You shift earlier. They aren't bad to ride at all. They are not explosive. They aren't pipe or peaky at all. They can be a bitch to start. They are extremely reliable. I'm going to buy another one, we'll see if I can still start one.

OK, must owns. Well, I've got a CT-70. I've had Kawasaki Triples. The thought of owning them is actually more pleasant than really owning them. They sound cool though. Had a Sportster. Another bike that the thought of owning is much better than actually owning. Piece of junk. Old Z1, had a couple of those, I like them. Ninja 250? Someone gave me one once. Pure beginner bike, nothing more. Gave it to a beginner. Old Triumph twins. If you don't know how to work on a bike, you soon will. Had a couple of those. I'd get another. Now I'm looking at an old TT500. As for other old bikes, I've had a bunch, not really sure what else I want, maybe an RD and a Tuono V4. And an RC51.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #47
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,171
Does it matter to name a specific bike? Somewhere in the above listings (and I've ridden or owned many or several of them) are the kernels of truth, such as "truth" is; A small tiddler for a newbie, a monstrously over powered under handling ill braking beast. Such bikes exercise the parameters of learning and refine the aesthetics of riding taste. Ultimately, the the monstrous ones, the ones that don't kill or maim us, they send us elsewhere, towards something more fitting for our needs and abilities. As bad or awe inspiring as they are/were, they are of a high value and yet little utility. Sometime, sooner or later, we generally end up riding and owning in the middle of the bell-curve - i.e. what suits us best. There are a few on the outskirts of the bell curve, a 62 year old riding an R1 at 8-9/10's and getting away with it, or someone on the other end, riding a 100cc enduro as their only bike - those are notable exceptions. But, having the experience is invaluable, and sometimes riding or owning a turbo Z1 for a once in a while lark ride is fine - you know what its all about and wisely choose when to apply its thrills.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:58 AM   #48
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
Kraven, very poetic, you should try riding one of the fast ones, those old 900s aren't the fast ones. The 4valvers are a whole 'nuther nut altogether.
If anyone wants to let me pilot a Pani' I'm down.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #49
DanVFR
Continent Crusher

Oddometer: 141
Ducati
DanVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #50
Badjuju
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
I readily admit to never having ridden a CR500, but I did a lot of riding, mostly trail, on a buddy's YZ490. I assume it can't be far from the CR legend, tho. The YZ would make a full-grown bad-ass weep uncontrollably before it even started, unless you were wearing an MX boot on your right foot. I saw it easily break the shinbone of a 20-something kid who thought he was a big enough boy to start it with his running shoes on. I think the bike had a diabolical agenda--it would cleverly wear you down to a frazzle with the starting routine, reduce the expectant rider to quivering mass of frayed nerves and worn muscle, and then take you far enough into the woods where no one could hear you scream....and then try to kill you. But "Boy Howdy!" that was sure a fun bike to ride.
Some people will tell you that slow is good, and it may be on some days, but I am here to tell you that fast is better... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #51
Jamming
Desert RAT

Oddometer: 2,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post

The CR500 is nothing but a harm to yourself and your friends. Everyone should own one until they finally have had enough and sell it to the next poor sumbitch. It is death on a stick. Sweet brap ring-a-ding death on a stick.
Owned one, raced one for three years. I still have the screws in my shoulder and a plate in my tibia to show for it. She was my Waterloo
I loved every second on that bike.
Jamming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:36 PM   #52
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 542
Any airhead.
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #53
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badjuju View Post
I readily admit to never having ridden a CR500, but I did a lot of riding, mostly trail, on a buddy's YZ490. I assume it can't be far from the CR legend, tho. The YZ would make a full-grown bad-ass weep uncontrollably before it even started, unless you were wearing an MX boot on your right foot. I saw it easily break the shinbone of a 20-something kid who thought he was a big enough boy to start it with his running shoes on. I think the bike had a diabolical agenda--it would cleverly wear you down to a frazzle with the starting routine, reduce the expectant rider to quivering mass of frayed nerves and worn muscle, and then take you far enough into the woods where no one could hear you scream....and then try to kill you. But "Boy Howdy!" that was sure a fun bike to ride.
I had YZ490s and YZ465s also. Not the same as a CR500. The YZs are very soft. Slower response, less throttle response. CRs have immediate throttle response. The CRs are harder to ride, well, maybe not harder, but a different riding style. About 10 more horsepower, at least.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #54
Guano11
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
CRs have immediate throttle response. The CRs are harder to ride. About 10 more horsepower, at least.
A lot argued the CR500 was overpowered, so one of the moto-mags put a sensor on Ricky Johnson's (Honda's fastest rider in the 80's) throttle to see how often he used all of it. Turns out only once or twice around the track, and even only about 1/4sec at a time. Or so I recall from pouring over those dirt bike mags.....

Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #55
sailer
trained Cirus Bear

Oddometer: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK View Post
I raced a CR500 in 86/87 and had no such problems riding it.

Quote:
Honda CR500....so that you can prove to yourself two things: 1) the CR250 really is plenty fast, after all, and 2). There are better motorcycles to own if you prefer riding without casts on any of your limbs, which were caused by an unpredictable wall of shrieking, hateful power
last statement is so true

when I was a kid (16-20) I though I was a hot shot on my 250 untill i got one, crazy power, just a beast.

for my 2 cent

KTM 300
RT so smooth
Busa , Never ending power ! only bike i have even rode the pulls in 6th gear I mean really pulls
early 70 era Truimph, just a classic ride and sound.

sailer screwed with this post 04-28-2013 at 07:21 PM
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:10 AM   #56
willis 2000
neo-quixote

Oddometer: 2,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by acap650 View Post
Any airhead.
so true
a bike responsive to mild input
does what its told