User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 06:02 AM   #61
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
Quote:
early 70 era Truimph, just a classic ride and sound.
Yeah, it's a real treat to ride an old Triumph/BSA that's in a good state of tune. They float down the road like an old Cadillac.
Definitely an experience everyone should have or own at least once.

I'm sort of anti-airhead since I owned an R100RS years ago that was a pain in the arse. I don't feel like they bring a lot to the table, but I allow that a tonne of people like them and I cut my teeth on Japanese L4's like the 650 and 750 Nighthawks, Radians, and even the Jap V4 stuff, as well as my love/hate Ducati.
So, pay my eye rolling at the airhead no mind. It's a fine motorcycle and probably is requisite for someone to own and ride at least once.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #62
chippertheripper
motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 1,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongolia View Post
This guy is 52 and 5'6"
Yeah, but there's not a tree or a rock in sight. Just soft, pillowy sand and sunshine.
Anybody can twist it and go straight.

My only must have (again) bike is the lc4 400.
I did everything with that little slut, and it's the only bike I regret selling.

The sv650 is pretty just right. Especially with some suspension help.
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Life is too short to crash on a bike you don't respect
chippertheripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #63
Jimmy the Heater OP
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
Ninja 250? Someone gave me one once. Pure beginner bike, nothing more. Gave it to a beginner.
Gonna have to disagree on that one. I've put 17k on mine and will pick it over my Ninja 500, BMW K1200, and SV1000 for the smiles that it puts on my face.

Every time I ride it, I'm constantly amazed that it can do what it does.

Commute, sure. Did a 3500 mile trip on mine, did fine. 2 up, yes it doesn't like it, but it does it. Want to race? They have a 250 class at most tracks and this dominates.

A beginner bike and nothing more to me says that an advanced rider will find no use for this bike whatsoever. Any bike that can accomplish the above is far from beginner only.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:56 AM   #64
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Man 60 some posts and not even a mention for a kawasaki ke100?!?! I would put that above the honda 70-110 category, even though i learned to ride on a xl75, i like my ke100 much more... Its a real fun little bike, great on trails, albiet less powerful than most bikes, that makes it much easier to handle...
bogieboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #65
mmod
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
83 GS 1100E for me. I have had it since 1987 and although it wont keep up with the super bikes of today it still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up with over 40,000 on her. At 53 years old I think it's time to get out of the power thing and get a 650 v Strom for more laid back rides with the wife. If I sell it I'm sure I will miss it.
mmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #66
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,483
While we're talking big bore 2 strokes, I think the KTM550 is a real sweet ride. Much nicer than the CR500 or YZ490. I've had all 3 of them. The 550 is the one I won't/haven't sold.

And a +1 to the KE100! The next step up from that is a Yami DT200 - if you can find one.

Edit: Since we're in Road Warriors; lets add the RZ350.

dirtydeeds screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 07:10 PM
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:35 PM   #67
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
Gonna have to disagree on that one. I've put 17k on mine and will pick it over my Ninja 500, BMW K1200, and SV1000 for the smiles that it puts on my face.

Every time I ride it, I'm constantly amazed that it can do what it does.

Commute, sure. Did a 3500 mile trip on mine, did fine. 2 up, yes it doesn't like it, but it does it. Want to race? They have a 250 class at most tracks and this dominates.

A beginner bike and nothing more to me says that an advanced rider will find no use for this bike whatsoever. Any bike that can accomplish the above is far from beginner only.
I suspect this is spot on, i've never ridden one but I strongly suspect they'd be great fun as would a Honda CBR250R. This is especially on my mind as I just picked up a WR250R and that thing is a blast, it's a different tool than my GS but it is lots and lots of fun.

How 'bout the Honda ATC, has it been mentioned? That's the first "motorcycle" type contraption I rode and it put a big grin on my face.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:45 PM   #68
caryder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Falls into must ride category since difficult to obtain. Suzuki gamma 500 or RD500.

A tuned ported chambered RZ350 can be a substitute but not a replacement.

KTM RC8, I think as iconic as any modern Ducati, but any 916 on up as well.

Modern GSXR750. Falls into the "just right" category for most of us mortals as a track day bike.

Any Moto Guzzi sport model.

Any Triton.

Maico 501. Pre long travel suspension, CR500 like power.

Really any open class 2-stroke.

A Buell XB or tube frame.

Honda CBX.
2003 Kawasaki KDX220R
1976 Yamaha RD400C

caryder screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 07:52 PM
caryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:02 PM   #69
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
How 'bout the Honda ATC, has it been mentioned? That's the first "motorcycle" type contraption I rode and it put a big grin on my face.
Oh yeah!
I keep an old 350X around for giggles!
The 250R was fun as well. They took a bit of work to ride, though.
I have a Big Red on my cousins farm, too. That's where they belong. Or skidding the odd deer out of the bush.

dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:11 PM   #70
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by caryder View Post
Falls into must ride category since difficult to obtain. Suzuki gamma 500 or RD500.

A tuned ported chambered RZ350 can be a substitute but not a replacement
I'll add the final iteration of the air-cooled RDs. I had a '79 Daytona Special and it was GLORIOUS. Within the first two blocks of ownership, it tried to wheelie me over backwards and I ended up dragging my toes along the ground for a good 20-30 metres before the hand of God pushed the bars down and enabled me to climb back on the bike without crashing.

We got off to that crazy start and it just got better and better. What a ride. Twenty-plus years later, I still feel like a 'tard for selling it. Paying rent is so overrated.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #71
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,377
a pain in the as$ to own but so much fun to ride...an Aprilia SXV 550

oalvarez screwed with this post 04-30-2013 at 09:11 PM
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:27 AM   #72
Mountain Cruiser
Banned

Oddometer: 1,204
HD Road King. Everyone should own a Road King at least once.

Mountain Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:30 AM   #73
Domromer
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Everyone must own a klr, only then will you be taught the secret handshake.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:50 AM   #74
Moonshiner
aka "B-dog"

Oddometer: 183
2 stroke street bike, like an RD250/RD350/RD400 or one of the Kawi triples. It's quite an experience, and one everyone should have once.

2 stroke enduro, i.e. something from the Yamaha DT line, or perhaps a Honda Elsinore. Great fun.

I have, and ride almost daily, a '77 BMW R100RS. BMW airheads are a unique experience, for sure, and I love mine, but "must own"? I dunno, back in the day, I never really thought I'd ever want one. You need to be the right person for an airhead, IMHO, but just about anybody could have fun on the other bikes I mentioned above.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #75
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,214
Honda 305 Superhawk, the biggest, baddest Japanese bike at the time. Basically put the Brit bike industry out of business. Electric start, leak free, reliable, and would do the ton.

Airhead, just puts highway miles beneath you like a never ending carpet. The valves clicking are the only noise you'll hear.

Kaw H-3 2-sroke 750 triple. Because it's fun to watch your life pass before your very eyes.

H-D Shovelhead XLCR Cafe Sportster. Fast, handled (for a Harley), first with triple discs. The pieces falling off this bike are of the finest American quality.

Suzuki SV650, probably the best balance of engine, handling, etc. ever. I'd buy another first gen in a second.

Kaw W650, everything you ever wanted in a classic Brit bike with none of the hassles.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote