Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #16
the_sandman_454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
I would say put a ton of miles on the 250 for now, and then once you've purchased the new bike, maybe plan to stick around the area for a bit (or find a less populated area) and spend a few hours getting familiar with the handling of the bike, friction zone of the clutch, throttle response, etc.

After that, I don't see a problem provided you take a route that doesn't involve slab. Interstates are not a terribly fun place to be for a dualsport type bike, given the potentially heavy traffic traveling at high speeds. Interstate highway type speeds are probably not the best for running in a new engine either. I would plan a route involving back roads, and take your time on the way home. May as well explore a little while you're already away from home.

Pack light since you don't want to have to figure out how to secure a ton of crap on the bike for this.

Do a ride report, that sounds like it'll be an interesting trip.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #17
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,790
Its doable; but it will not be fun. Wrong bike for that trip and if you do it, the trip will take longer than you think.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #18
bymbie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
The bike is an excellent choice and the trip is a no-brainer: DO IT Make sure you decide on a break-in procedure in advance, have a plan in place and carry the necessary stuff to do an oil change (or get it done, but I would still carry the oil filter)... Other than that, have fun.
bymbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #19
azrunner OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I'm really appreciating all the advice and recommendations. I hadn't thought about taking my Camelback but I can see where that would be helpful. I also hadn't thought about doing an oil change along the way. I definitely want to break in the engine correctly.
I like traveling light. Fortunately, I have a self cleaning body. It always amazes my wife how many days I get away with wearing the same clothes on weekends.
I've actually riden a bicycle 180 miles in one day through the Colorado Rockies. I've done a century in under 5 hours without getting off the bicycle. The thought of covering 100-300 miles daily at my leisure through senic country excites me.
azrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:41 PM   #20
ybracing
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Bad Idea!

That being said, it is clear that you have already decided to do it.

Things to think about:

Drink plenty of water! Yes, buy a camelback backpack for the water and snacks.
Practice on your friends bike doing long distances (200+miles) for several days in a row.
Buy a good waterproof riding jacket and pants and waterproof boots. The other option is buy a cheap set of waterproof outerwear (http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...orcycle-Jacket). The weather can change in a heart beat. Also a good pair of gloves.
The information in this link will help you on your journey:
http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aowprintout.cfm
Have a route planned out (however loose you want), mainly for fuel stops, food and lodging.

The bike:

Bike seat comfort- the Husky seat is not comfortable after a couple of hours of slab. Plan on stopping every 100 miles or so and get off of the bike to rub your ass and stretch your legs. You will probably need fuel by then anyways. It's not the same as a bicycle.
Riding a new bike down the interstate for an extended period of time is not a good way to break it in. You need to increase and decrease the rpm constantly during the break in period. This can be done on the interstate if you concentrate on it.
Research bike shops along your route so you know where you can pick up motor oil (use only oil specifically for motorcycles).
Carry an oil filter with you. You can stop at the 99 cent store and pick up a gallon of water (water for the camelback) plastic container to use for disposal of the waste oil, a disposable aluminum turkey baking pan and a roll of paper towels.
Drain the oil into the turkey baking pan then pour it into the gallon container. Use the paper towels to soak up any spilled oil and wipe out the turkey pan when finished. Use the plastic bag from the 99 cent store to put the old filter, used paper towels and the turkey pan in and through in dumpster (I know, not the proper disposal of the filter). Drop the used oil off at the closest auto parts store (they will usually keep the container if you ask them to).
Call the dealer and make sure the new bike comes with a tool kit with everything you need to change the oil. If not find out what additional tools are needed.
Check the air pressure in the tires prior to starting your ride. The dealers seem to forget this in their bike prep.
Check youtube for a video on how to change the oil on that bike.
Carry a front inner tube (can be used in rear if needed) an air pump and at least 2 tire irons. You might want to practice replacing the tube on your friends bike. It's not the same as a bicycle.

Ok, all that being said,

Relax and enjoy the first of hopefully many wonderful adventures on your new bike.

Remember: This is how truly great adventures start!

ybracing screwed with this post 04-28-2013 at 11:48 PM
ybracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:45 AM   #21
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,810
Yup, you're crazy. With your road bicycle experience, though, you can do it.

Pick up[ the bike early in the day, and put 50 miles on it around town. If anything is not right, you can go right back to the dealer same day. If the first 50 goes well, head for home, varying speed around the lower side of traffic flow. Change your oil at the end of the second day, which will be earlier than recommended. Considering how many miles you're putting on it right out of the box, the small cost of an extra oil change will be worth it. By the time you get home, the bike will be pretty much broken in, ready for it's second oil change, after which you will be good to go for many happy miles.

I personally think the interstate is the safest place to ride (and most boring) as long as you stay aware of blind spots and unexpected lane changes. The only issue would be having to travel so fast on the new bike. Given the Husky's top speed, however, I don't think 70 mph is asking too much.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #22
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrunner View Post
I'm thinking about doing a "fly and ride" from Salem, OR to Tucson, AZ about a month from now.
why are you going all the way to Oregon? If you do not ride now, that is a ROUGH way to learn. You wont learn much about riding long distance by hoping on your friends bike a couple of times.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:53 AM   #23
100mpg
This sentance intent

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Its doable; but it will not be fun. Wrong bike for that trip and if you do it, the trip will take longer than you think.
bingo. You will be surprised at how much harder 150 miles is on a small bike is then in a car.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:14 AM   #24
phoenixdoglover
Where to next?

Oddometer: 110
Yes

If you are an avid cyclist, and would think nothing of cycling 50 miles or more in a day, then I think this is entirely doable. I say this as a cyclist converted to motorcycling. Here is why:

- you already have 2 wheel riding abilities; lot's of that still applies
- you know how to put in long miles and stay focused and alive on the road
- your butt can take abuse already
- you know how to plan, dress for the conditions and pace yourself
- you know how to eat to maintain your energy
- you know about proper air pressure in the tires and a well oiled chain

So what's to learn?

- E=m v-squared ... the motorcycle is heavier and the energy involved is greater, so slowing and stopping needs to be prudent
- the stupid thing can run out of fuel
- your ego will be confused, as you will be able to pass other vehicles at high speed; best to have a little father-son talk with yourself
- bugs hurt when they hit your face

Enjoy!
phoenixdoglover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:21 AM   #25
B.C.Biker
mighty fine

Oddometer: 614
Doubt you'd be surprised but 150 paved miles on a motorcycle is sooo much easier than 150 miles on a bicycle. Bullshit your girlfriends not other bikers!
Old 04-29-2013, 08:49 AM   #26
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
All true gents, and I admit his biking experience is a bit of a plus. It is also something that he will have to unlearn. There are NO motorbike lanes, and traffic does not seek to avoid motorcycles. He can't manhandle it as it is not a bike with a little motor attached, it is a different animal alltogether.

He'd be best served by riding in the neighborhood of his hotel on the first day to hopefully become aware of the difference.

Other than that he might be ok, at least on backroads he'd at least be going down the road at his selected pace as opposed to having city or highway set it for him.
rufusswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #27
azrunner OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
The voices of reason have spoken louder then the calls for adventure. I'll cool my jets for awhile, buy my friends Yamaha WR250R and get some miles under my belt before planning a multiday ride. Maybe Husqvarna will keep making the TR650 or some other bike will capture my interest in a few months. By then hopefully, I'll have developed some riding skills and gained more knowledge. My wife will be relieved, at least for a liitle while. I appreciate all the input. I'll defintely put it to use in the hopefully not so distant future.
azrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:18 PM   #28
100mpg
This sentance intent

Quote:
The voices of reason have spoken louder then the calls for adventure. I'll cool my jets for awhile, buy my friends Yamaha WR250R and get some miles under my belt before planning a multiday ride. Maybe Husqvarna will keep making the TR650 or some other bike will capture my interest in a few months. By then hopefully, I'll have developed some riding skills and gained more knowledge. My wife will be relieved, at least for a liitle while. I appreciate all the input. I'll defintely put it to use in the hopefully not so distant future.
smart move. You will see that while riding around town you will find things that IF they happened a few hundred miles away would REALLY suck bad. You will probably end up with different choice for a bike also.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:36 PM   #29
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,292
Quote:
I appreciate the words of encouragement and of caution. I definitely plan to travel light and take it easy staying at motels along the way. I plan on packing no more then I can put in a carry on bag (tail bag such as Wolfman) and the gear I'll wear on the plane. Part of the fun in planning will be deciding on riding gear. I hadn't considered taking the interstates as being safer. I suspect the Husky will cruise fine at 65-75. I'd enjoy riding some of the costal routes but would avoid tackling the winding mountain pass routes to get to them.
I appreciate further recommendations or cautions.
Take every winding mountain pass route you can find. You'll be fine. Take your time and enjoy the ride. You never know what the future will bring. Saludos, JIm
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:26 PM   #30
ddennis669
Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
The voices of reason have spoken louder then the calls for adventure.
That's us. The ReasonRider.com guys! We sit at home and read about Adventures.

I don't think I would go that far for a Husky, but I have ridden those roads and it's a great ride.
ddennis669 is offline   Reply With Quote