Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 01:35 AM   #31
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddennis669 View Post
That's us. The ReasonRider.com guys! We sit at home and read about Adventures.

I don't think I would go that far for a Husky, but I have ridden those roads and it's a great ride.
I dont understand why everyone on here thinks everyone should just run out and follow through with every single thought that pops into their head. this ain't stupidrider.com.
Every one knows about the dangers even the most skilled riders face out on the highways on a bike, yet they want to send a first time rider out on a multi state tour? its fucking stupid.
If you want to make many long trips, wait.
If you want to try to see if you make it home, leave yesterday.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:45 AM   #32
the_sandman_454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
I dont understand why everyone on here thinks everyone should just run out and follow through with every single thought that pops into their head. this ain't stupidrider.com.
Every one knows about the dangers even the most skilled riders face out on the highways on a bike, yet they want to send a first time rider out on a multi state tour? its fucking stupid.
If you want to make many long trips, wait.
If you want to try to see if you make it home, leave yesterday.
I don't know. The guy isn't a stranger to two wheels or long days on an even worse saddle than the worst motorcycle I've ever ridden. He has faced all of the same dangers motorcyclists do, but did so while riding a pedal bike, which coincidentally, I consider more dangerous than a motorcycle since that vehicle can't generally keep up with the flow of traffic. He was going to put (hopefully) a bunch of miles around home on a 250 in the month prior to the trip.

I think if any newbie would've been able to make it a successful trip this guy seems as likely a candidate as any I can think of. It probably is a good choice for him to hold off, but I still think his odds of survival wouldn't have been much, if any, worse than those of us with more miles under us.

the_sandman_454 screwed with this post 04-30-2013 at 02:53 AM
the_sandman_454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:04 AM   #33
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,711
i cant quite beleive this is adv rider....ride the world... not.What a bunch of wowsers.
Do the build up on your friends bike.Make sure your gear is comfortable and you try some riding in less than ideal conditions.Make sure the first few days are panned quite conservativley,while you get used to the bike and break it in.Do not sit for long periods at the same speed.Be ready to stop often .But do it.Enjoy the whole trip.Take the back roads.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:31 AM   #34
ybracing
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrunner View Post
The voices of reason have spoken louder then the calls for adventure. I'll cool my jets for awhile, buy my friends Yamaha WR250R and get some miles under my belt before planning a multiday ride. Maybe Husqvarna will keep making the TR650 or some other bike will capture my interest in a few months. By then hopefully, I'll have developed some riding skills and gained more knowledge. My wife will be relieved, at least for a liitle while. I appreciate all the input. I'll defintely put it to use in the hopefully not so distant future.
Just think, your adventure has just started.
It starts with the decision to have an adventure.
Good luck and ride safe.
ybracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:56 AM   #35
WildAnCrazymtl
Political Prisonor

Oddometer: 6,209
You would be crazy not to do this!

Bring a cell phone, a visa card and ride within your comfort zone.

The stuff you over packed, mail home. The stuff you need, visa!

You will figure out the rest for yourself!

Have fun!

Then tell us about it when you get back!

And don't forget to have fun!

Old 04-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #36
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,614
go for it. life is too short to wait or say another day.

ride your friends bike every second you can and get those bike skills down fast.
like others have said, pack real light as extra weight is hard for anyone.
bring a small duffel with 1 pair of long wearing casual clothes and strap it down (rox straps) to the rear seat/rack.
move it closer to center as possible. carry it on with you on the plane and wear your riding gear on the plane with you.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:08 PM   #37
Wdwrkr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,739
Do it. By the time you get home you'll be a much better rider then you were when you left. Just don't get cocky and you will be fine. We all took a first trip at one point, and we are all here to tell about it.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:03 AM   #38
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrunner View Post
The voices of reason have spoken louder then the calls for adventure. I'll cool my jets for awhile, buy my friends Yamaha WR250R and get some miles under my belt before planning a multiday ride. Maybe Husqvarna will keep making the TR650 or some other bike will capture my interest in a few months. By then hopefully, I'll have developed some riding skills and gained more knowledge. My wife will be relieved, at least for a liitle while. I appreciate all the input. I'll defintely put it to use in the hopefully not so distant future.
I was afraid this would happen. I hadn't checked this thread for a few days and am sorry this was your decision, but I certainly understand it. It takes a lot to learn a whole new sport especially when we get older. My wife worries for me too when I do adventurous stuff, but she's generally very supportive.

I like your idea of buying the WR250R; I have really enjoyed mine. It's a very dirt-oriented dual-sport, more so than the 650's I've owned because of the weight difference and suspension, and is a very capable little bike. It's been my experience that buying a used small DS bike won't cost you a lot in resale - after the initial depreciation they seem to hold their value quite well. When you're ready you can sell it for what you've got in it and go get the next bike. It won't be your last!

Doug