ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #31
DYNOBOB
lucky dog

Oddometer: 837
Yes, the Safety Plan. So it drops a track point at user specified intervals or just when you tell it to do so, maybe at the end of each day? The track piont is what a relative would see on the internet?

DYNOBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #32
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNOBOB View Post
Yes, the Safety Plan. So it drops a track point at user specified intervals or just when you tell it to do so, maybe at the end of each day? The track piont is what a relative would see on the internet?

Currently you can choose:
  1. One point every 10min
  2. One point every 30min
  3. One Point every 1hr
  4. One point every 4hr.
If you want to do one point per day, just turn the Tracking On and wait for it to send the first point then turn Tracking Off. I don't believe that you can select to have Tracking send a single point and then terminate Tracking automatically. My SE shows up tomorrow so if someone who has theirs sees something else that can be done let us know.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #33
DYNOBOB
lucky dog

Oddometer: 837
Thanks Dan!
DYNOBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:34 PM   #34
Moto Mikey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Mini Delorme InReach SE review

I got my InReach SE a few days ago and finally took it out for a half day ride today.

A few observations:
  • Battery life is really good. Did about 6 hours of tracking today and hardly used any battery life
  • The ability to charge via the USB input is great. With a motorbike, never have to worry about the battery
  • No issues with tracking/plotting points. All my points dropped right on schedule (every 10 minutes)
  • It automatically pauses dropping points after you've stopped which is nice and starts back up again when riding again (such as stopping for lunch)
  • The preset messages is a nice feature. Easy to send a simple messages and they're free. I plan to send a message every night when I get to my hotel/hostel to check in.
  • Initial setup wasn't too hard but took me about an hour or so. Requires a firmware update.
  • The Mapshare website is great but still under construction. Easy to use. You can ping your device from the website and get an instant location update. You can also send a text message to the device instantly. Very nice!
  • The plans are a bit pricey ($25/month) and they get you for a $20 initial setup fee
  • The InReach App is very nice. Can download Topo maps on it and send GPS text messages from your phone. Easier than sending a text message from the inreach device.
  • The device has a 'data use' page so you can keep track of how many messages you've sent as well as points dropped.
  • You're limited to only 3 preset message templates (these preset messages do not count against your monthly limit)
  • It has a mini built in speaker so you can hear messages that you've received
  • With the InReach App, you can pretty much put the device away permanently and only use the phone application to control everything
  • You can send and receive a message to your mapshare page, a cell phone number, an email address or another inreach device

Any questions, ask away.

Moto Mikey screwed with this post 06-16-2013 at 08:20 PM
Moto Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #35
Moto Mikey
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Currently you can choose:
  1. One point every 10min
  2. One point every 30min
  3. One Point every 1hr
  4. One point every 4hr.
If you want to do one point per day, just turn the Tracking On and wait for it to send the first point then turn Tracking Off. I don't believe that you can select to have Tracking send a single point and then terminate Tracking automatically. My SE shows up tomorrow so if someone who has theirs sees something else that can be done let us know.
This is correct. I don't think there's a way to send just a single point and stop. Just enable tracking, send the point and turn off tracking.

Also, another note I didn't make above. Enable the password on your MapShare page and only give it to friends/family and tell them not to message you unless it's important. Every message sent from the MapShare page to your device counts towards your monthly limit. I plan on giving the MapShare password/page to my family so they can track/message me. I setup a SpotWalla page for everyone else to follow my trip. The SpotWalla page will display tracking points and messages but not be able to request real time updates or send messages to the device.

Moto Mikey screwed with this post 06-16-2013 at 07:44 PM
Old 06-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #36
Moto Mikey
Gnarly Adventurer

InReach SE Pics

Some pics:

On the back of the device are 4 electrical contact points:

This leads me to believe that Delorme are coming out with a powered base mount which would be really nice for motos/vehicles. When riding, simply pop it into the mount and it will automatically start charging; no need to plug it in. When stopping, take it out and it changes over to battery mode. I haven't read anything offical about this, but it would be my guess why they're there.

I had planned to mount mine on the handlebar with the (unreleased) RAM mount kinda like this:

But I have since found a better spot inside my tank bag:

It's out of sight and still easy to access. I already have a USB power outlet inside my tank bag and plan to run a wire to the top compartment to power the device full-time.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #37
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

I missed a couple of Tracking options in my previous post:

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #38
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,457
InReach for smartphones,not the SE,does not appear to transmit when placed inside my Micatech panniers.

Yes,I know the better view of the sky,the better the function for InReach andSPOT.

Took a jaunt Sat.,had no tankbag and tried it as a test in the panniers,no tracking points recorded.
Worked fine the next day in the RKA tankbag that has an aluminum top stiffener(InCharge model)

That was my first use of the unit after starting the service and doing firmware up grade,so some operator error may have been present,but power and tracking lights were on,so I doubt it.
Did not check signal strength light while in the Micatechs,I'll check this later.

Will try this again later,anyone with similar findings?

Might have to get the RAM mount for the times I go without a tankbag.

My prior gen 1 and 2 SPOTS also had no trouble with the same tankbag,never tried them in the panniers.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #39
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNOBOB View Post
How do you charge the batteries? Can it be hardwired into the bike for constant charging?

Regarding the charges for tracking, is it $.25 per breadcrumb dropped on the basic plan?

InReach can take rechargables,the even sell the GoalZero solar chargers on their site.
InReach(not SE) has an optional 12v adapter for direct to bike or vehicle power,it replaces the battery compartment door,but is $$.
Some say that you can mod the RAM mount to fit the InReach with power supply.

I bought the seasonal Recreation plan,will be suspended when I don't use it in the late fall/winter and early spring.
It will average out at or below SPOT pricing for my riding season and provide improved function.

JR356
Old 06-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #40
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR356 View Post
InReach for smartphones,not the SE,does not appear to transmit when placed inside my Micatech panniers.

Yes,I know the better view of the sky,the better the function for InReach andSPOT.

Took a jaunt Sat.,had no tankbag and tried it as a test in the panniers,no tracking points recorded.
Worked fine the next day in the RKA tankbag that has an aluminum top stiffener(InCharge model)

That was my first use of the unit after starting the service and doing firmware up grade,so some operator error may have been present,but power and tracking lights were on,so I doubt it.
Did not check signal strength light while in the Micatechs,I'll check this later.

Will try this again later,anyone with similar findings?

Might have to get the RAM mount for the times I go without a tankbag.

My prior gen 1 and 2 SPOTS also had no trouble with the same tankbag,never tried them in the panniers.

JR356
I would expect the inReach's to work inside a tank bag or a pack if they were not surrounded by metal. Which brings us to your Pannier experiment. Of course you know that Delorme say's they must have a "clear view of the sky" or don't expect it to transmit/receive signals. But, the more interesting question is, why would you place one of these devices in your pannier?

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #41
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR356 View Post
InReach can take rechargables,the even sell the GoalZero solar chargers on their site.
InReach(not SE) has an optional 12v adapter for direct to bike or vehicle power,it replaces the battery compartment door,but is $$.
Some say that you can mod the RAM mount to fit the InReach with power supply.

I bought the seasonal Recreation plan,will be suspended when I don't use it in the late fall/winter and early spring.
It will average out at or below SPOT pricing for my riding season and provide improved function.

JR356
I used the RAM mount for my inReach for Smartphone and it needed no modification to accept the 12vdc Power Adapter.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #42
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

inReach SE

I had some time to check out the new SE today. Here are a few of my reasons for "upgrading" to the SE over the Smartphone edition:
  1. You can select the Tracking interval on the unit - no need to take out the iPhone/iPad to set it.
  2. On the SE you can "pull" your messages where on the Smartphone edition you had to wait for an update (up to 20min) or turn the unit off and back on.

3. Easy selction of Preset Messages - although they still don't allow you to give each message a Name that can be Sync'ed with the the inReach SE. Hopefully when "Sync" is enabled from the inReach Explore website you will have this option. From the inReach SE site: Once the sync function is ready, inReach SE will display the full message text and recipients.

4. I tested out the "Keyboard" input and it's just like any other "predictive" Keypad on an old non-smartphone. It will store up you key words the more you use it so writing a text should become a bit quicker over time. I found it easy enough to use considering you only get 160 characters anyway.
  5. Button Lock is a welcome addition. My SE will live in my waist pack or in my Badlands Pants pocket when I'm off-roading and most likely on a bar mount when touring.

As Moto Mikey pointed out, there are Pin Pads on the back of the SE that hopefully indicate that a Powered Mount will be forthcoming.

The inReach is a simple tool with easy to use features. If you're new to inReach I do recommend reading over the documentation just to familiarize yourself - then, go ride!

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 07:05 PM
Old 06-17-2013, 07:44 PM   #43
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,598
Quote:
On the SE you can "pull" your messages where on the Smartphone edition you had to wait for an update (up to 20min) or turn the unit off and back on.
Do you mean that after you send a text to a friend/family member, you can push to see if you received a reply vs. having to wait the 20mins that the smartphone version waits?
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #44
Moto Mikey
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
Do you mean that after you send a text to a friend/family member, you can push to see if you received a reply vs. having to wait the 20mins that the smartphone version waits?
yes, it forces the device to refresh (check for messages). It checks every 20 minutes for new messages but there's the option to make it check on command.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:00 AM   #45
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I would expect the inReach's to work inside a tank bag or a pack if they were not surrounded by metal. Which brings us to your Pannier experiment. Of course you know that Delorme say's they must have a "clear view of the sky" or don't expect it to transmit/receive signals. But, the more interesting question is, why would you place one of these devices in your pannier?
Did not have tankbag with me,was just an experiment.
If it worked in the cases,it would be a more secure way to carry expensive electronic gear.The panniers are always on the bike,the tankbag,less so.

As I said in my post,I'm aware of signal requirements with these devices,having owned two previous SPOTS.

What is interesting to me,is that I can get great transmission thru the aluminum plate in the tankbag and several layers of maps and the map case,but the slightly thicker aluminum and powder coating of the panniers will not allow the transmission.

Anyone know if powder coating affects electronics transmission/reception?

JR356