ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #61
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Oddometer: 391
The Spot 2 is ten minutes. I read the new Spot 3 can be changed to 2 minutes.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #62
Rally_West
Central Scrutinizer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
The smallest Tracking interval is 10min. But your assessment of Im002e's observation is correct. Net, go for a longer ride.
I thought I read somewhere that 1 minute was the shortest interval. Looking for that info now...but I am sure I read it.

AND...I'm wrong, so status quo...http://support.delorme.com/questions.php?questionid=218
Old 06-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #63
lm002e
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally_West View Post
I thought I read somewhere that 1 minute was the shortest interval. Looking for that info now...but I am sure I read it.

AND...I'm wrong, so status quo...http://support.delorme.com/questions.php?questionid=218

Is it possible that the tracking interval could be shortened with future firmware updates? I realize that a shorter interval reduces battery life but with the possibility of a powered mount in the future this would be a non issue.
2010 KTM 690 Enduro R
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
lm002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #64
davidmc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Delorme has an Aviation plan that will allow for 1 minute tracking intervals. I don't believe it is listed on the Delorme website. See below for some more info:

http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/delorme.htm
davidmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #65
Mtl_Biker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Just received, charged up and activated my new inReach SE, and I have a couple of questions for anyone who's been there and done that...

The manual says that after activation (which appears to have been successful) DeLorme sends a welcome message for testing the inReach. And that we can reply to it to test it further. Well, I haven't gotten ANY message yet, and it's been about an hour. Is there a way for me to initiate that test sequence? The manual also says you're allowed five free test messages per month, yet I cannot find any way to send a test message.

Is there any difference in cost between a Preset Message, Quick Text and regular messages? Or is it simply a question of convenience? I see that Preset Messages can be sent to multiple addresses... is there extra cost when using more than one address?

How are you guys liking the inReach SE? I got mine because I'm often riding in an area with no cell service and if something happens, well, I feel better about being able to summon help. Plus I don't have a cell roaming package for when I travel in the States, and the inReach SE would actually serve my limited text messages quite well for that, and at a lower cost than roaming charges on my cell.

Cheers!
#6 2011 BMW K1300GT (sold)
#7 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 (sold)
#8 2013 BMW F800GS Kalamata Metallic
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #66
Mtl_Biker
Gnarly Adventurer

It's working (although still no test message received from DeLorme) as I was able to send myself a message.

But going onto the explore.delorme.com website and clicking on the map tab shows that I'm somewhere in the ocean off the coast of Africa, rather than here in Montreal. Weird. I hope I make a trip report from Africa! :)
Old 07-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #67
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl_Biker View Post
It's working (although still no test message received from DeLorme) as I was able to send myself a message.

But going onto the explore.delorme.com website and clicking on the map tab shows that I'm somewhere in the ocean off the coast of Africa, rather than here in Montreal. Weird. I hope I make a trip report from Africa! :)
Your location is 0deg Lat and 0deg Lon until the GPS has time to find itself on the face of the earth. Did you place the inReach where it had a clear view of the sky and wait 30min?

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #68
Mtl_Biker
Gnarly Adventurer

It's been a couple of hours now... and the inReach is clipped on my bike and the bike is out in the middle of the parking lot with a clear sky view in all directions. Other than not having received the welcome test message from DeLorme everything else seems to be working. I can send and receive messages with other people, so the unit has got to be communicating with the satellites. I just checked the map again on explore.delorme and it still shows me as being out in the ocean off South Africa.

Good thing I don't need to send an SOS!

(My Garmin GPS's show my location just fine here.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Your location is 0deg Lat and 0deg Lon until the GPS has time to find itself on the face of the earth. Did you place the inReach where it had a clear view of the sky and wait 30min?
Old 07-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #69
Dirt2Oil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
inReach SE Service Plans

I just got the inReach SE today from an American retailer. Is it possible for a Canadian to register the unit under an American address to access the US service plans, or would my credit card address have to match the mailing address used to create the Delorme account? Just a thought, or am I waisting my time. I selected the US for the country and it allowed my to progress to the next step of putting in my mailing address, but I stopped at that step to give it some more thought. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Insanity is hereditary; you get it from your children. ~Sam Levenson
Dirt2Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:21 PM   #70
Dirt2Oil
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt2Oil View Post
I just got the inReach SE today from an American retailer. Is it possible for a Canadian to register the unit under an American address to access the US service plans, or would my credit card address have to match the mailing address used to create the Delorme account? Just a thought, or am I waisting my time. I selected the US for the country and it allowed my to progress to the next step of putting in my mailing address, but I stopped at that step to give it some more thought. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Just realized the country is preset as Canada and I can not change this in the registration. I guess they lock the shipping address to each unit. Disregard above post.
Thanks

Old 07-04-2013, 03:05 AM   #71
Dirt2Oil
Adventurer

Well I set up my account at explore.delorme.com & got an email confirmation. Tried activating the unit outside but keeps getting held up on the waiting for confirmation step. Then when I tried to login to my account said "user account suspended". What the F#%K. Also, when I set up my second emergency contact the additional number I entered kept changing to my own home number. Setup seems to be a little glitchy. Waiting now for a call back from Tech support. I hope it's not as glitchy once setup. Not a good start.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:33 AM   #72
Mtl_Biker
Gnarly Adventurer

There's not anywhere near enough documentation with this inReach SE or with the EarthMate app for iPhone. I've downloaded the full manual from DeLorme's site, but it doesn't answer my questions. Frustration!

On the inReach SE itself, in the top status bar sometimes I see "3D" and sometimes there is nothing there. Not mentioned in the manual.

If I log onto the explore.delorme site and look at the map, it shows this:

Again, no explanation of this. I'm in Montreal, but it shows that I appear to be in the ocean off the coast of Africa. And what's that line going to what my actual location is? And that little icon that looks like a text box (with nothing in it)?

Does tracking on the SE need to be turned ON for this to work? I haven't turned it on because all the tracking points cost money and no one else will be following my track. I'm just trying to understand how all this works. If it needs to be on in order for my location to show on the map at explore.delorme, I can live without it because I don't want to be paying for tracks needlessly. Again, I'm just trying to understand how it all works.

And with the EarthMate app (for iPhone) again there isn't enough documentation. For example, do Location Services on the iPhone for the EarthMate app need to be turned ON? If ON, then isn't it using the iPhone's internal gps and cellular to determine location? With location services OFF at the bottom left of the status bar, it *mostly* indicates "GPS Off", and on the right it says "inReach Connected". But some of the time the bottom left status bar reports "Acquiring GPS", and that appears for a LONG time (hours) and then it's back to GPS Off. There is also no "locate me" icon nor does my location appear on the map in EarthMate. So it would appear that location services on the iPhone for the EarthMate app need to be on. I thought this would work without needing to use cellular and/or WiFi connections. Anyone know more about how this works?

I rode home last night with location services turned on and the inReach connected to the iPhone and my location DID appear on the map. I just wonder what would happen if I'm in an area without cell service, or I'm in the States where I do NOT want to be hit with roaming/data charges on the phone.

Thanks for any help understanding this.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:45 AM   #73
Mtl_Biker
Gnarly Adventurer

Sort of answered part of my own questions... I turned on tracking and sent only one tracking point (then turned it off) and the map on explore.delorme.com updated to show my current position.

The map on the EarthMate app also updated with a yellow dot place marker corresponding to my current position.

But the other questions remain: EarthMate doesn't show my position (other than that one-time yellow dot) as I move, unless I have location services turned on. If that's needed, how does it work when you either don't want to be using cellular services or you're in an area without service? And why does it say "Acquiring GPS" if location services are turned off?
Old 07-04-2013, 07:18 AM   #74
Dirt2Oil
Adventurer

I just spoke with Tech Support and they said they were having trouble with activations on their end? Should be fix today or tomorrow. F#$K sakes I have only been waiting for this unit since April, whats another few day I guess.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:00 AM   #75
Blueshark
Coastal Castaway

Oddometer: 131
"You can always tell the pioneers by the arrows in their backs."

Following this thread with interest, and hope you pioneers get these issues worked out. Appreciate your updates, thank you!