ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #76
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl_Biker View Post
There's not anywhere near enough documentation with this inReach SE or with the EarthMate app for iPhone. I've downloaded the full manual from DeLorme's site, but it doesn't answer my questions. Frustration!

On the inReach SE itself, in the top status bar sometimes I see "3D" and sometimes there is nothing there. Not mentioned in the manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN
You didn't look at the inReach's HELP text: Help->Getting Started->Status Bar; 3D = highest GPS quality
If I log onto the explore.delorme site and look at the map, it shows this:

Again, no explanation of this. I'm in Montreal, but it shows that I appear to be in the ocean off the coast of Africa. And what's that line going to what my actual location is? And that little icon that looks like a text box (with nothing in it)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN
As I noted earlier, the first point is set by the factory. Just delete it and you will have your current location set.
Does tracking on the SE need to be turned ON for this to work? I haven't turned it on because all the tracking points cost money and no one else will be following my track. I'm just trying to understand how all this works. If it needs to be on in order for my location to show on the map at explore.delorme, I can live without it because I don't want to be paying for tracks needlessly. Again, I'm just trying to understand how it all works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN
You do not need Tracking turned on to see your location - just send a message (which has your location in it). Your current location IS showing on the map. It's the message you sent - which is why you see a "message" icon on the Map.
And with the EarthMate app (for iPhone) again there isn't enough documentation. For example, do Location Services on the iPhone for the EarthMate app need to be turned ON? If ON, then isn't it using the iPhone's internal gps and cellular to determine location? With location services OFF at the bottom left of the status bar, it *mostly* indicates "GPS Off", and on the right it says "inReach Connected". But some of the time the bottom left status bar reports "Acquiring GPS", and that appears for a LONG time (hours) and then it's back to GPS Off. There is also no "locate me" icon nor does my location appear on the map in EarthMate. So it would appear that location services on the iPhone for the EarthMate app need to be on. I thought this would work without needing to use cellular and/or WiFi connections. Anyone know more about how this works?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN
Read the Earthmate HELP text. You do not need Location Service ON. The status you see is the status of the inReach.
I rode home last night with location services turned on and the inReach connected to the iPhone and my location DID appear on the map. I just wonder what would happen if I'm in an area without cell service, or I'm in the States where I do NOT want to be hit with roaming/data charges on the phone.

Thanks for any help understanding this.
Let's see if I can help you out here...Replies inline

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #77
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Okay, spoke to tech support (here in Canada they answered right away... no waiting!) and got a few things cleared up.

At the top of the display on the inReach SE, in the status bar, to the right of the time display, SOMETIMES there is a "3D" displayed and sometimes there is nothing. (Not mentioned in any manual.) The 3D means you're getting the best satellite connection possible, and the nothing just means it's NOT the best. No idea how lack of service would be displayed. SHRUG

On the map display in explore.delorme.com, your position will NOT display unless you turn on send tracking on the inReach SE. With tracking on or off, sometimes there is an icon which looks like a text box, and you cannot click it or move it. That simply shows your approximate position when you have sent a text message from the inReach SE. (Again not explained anywhere.)

(If you don't need to display your position to others on the map and you don't need it yourself, don't turn on the tracking on the inReach SE, or you will be paying for each track point sent, depending on the plan you have.)

About EarthMate on an iPhone, you MUST enable location services in order for your position to display on the map (and the map is actually quite good I think). They claim that even with location services ON, the phone is NOT using any cellular data, so if you're roaming in another country or in an area without service, not to worry, the inReach SE is supplying all the position data to the phone.

They don't know why I wasn't sent the welcome message to the inReach, but I found a button to click on the explore.delorme.com site to initiate that test message sending. I clicked it ONE time, and ended up with THREE identical messages, all time-stamped the same. And since you're only allowed five free test messages per month, I'm reluctant to try it again as if again three messages are sent, I'll be one over the five limit. The technician I spoke to said that if this happens, just to call and they'll reverse the overage charge.

So other than for the skimpy documentation, I think I'm going to be happy with this new gadget.

Now all I need is a RAM mount for it! (DeLorme is taking pre-orders for it, at $50 a piece. Shipping to Canada is ANOTHER $50!!!!!!!!!!!! So I'm not ordering it. GPSCity.ca says that once it becomes available, they will certainly also be offering it, and their shipping rates are much more fair.)
#6 2011 BMW K1300GT (sold)
#7 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 (sold)
#8 2013 BMW F800GS Kalamata Metallic
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #78
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Dan.... THANKS!!!

(Your way of adding your comments within my original message makes it just about impossible for me to quote your message, but I'll just mention a few things...)

inReach SE's HELP text??? Until you mentioned it, I hadn't even seen there was one. Nor did I realize there was a second page of icons. Thanks very much for pointing that out! And you're completely correct... the help file addresses those status icons. (But they SHOULD be in the Quick Start manual and certainly in the full manual you can download - but they're NOT.)

You mention just deleting that first point... I didn't see any way to delete it. There's no right-click menu on it, nor is there any delete button on the screen. Nor any way to select it. But your position will not display on that map (the one on explore.delorme.com we're talking about) UNLESS you enable tracking and send at least one tracking point. And if it's only for you and not others to view, there's not much point in sending tracking points as each one costs money.

Seeing your location on that map is also possible if you send a message, as you said (and tech support confirmed). But again that should be in one of the manuals (didn't see that in the unit's help file either).

You said to read the Earthmate HELP text and that you do not need Location Services ON. Well, I've read every single page of it and don't see location services mentioned at all. Can you point me to where you saw that? The tech support guy I spoke with at DeLorme said you DO need to turn location services ON in order to see your position on the EarthMate map. And indeed, my own testing now seems to show that.

Thanks very much for your help, Dan. Much appreciated!
#6 2011 BMW K1300GT (sold)
#7 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 (sold)
#8 2013 BMW F800GS Kalamata Metallic
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #79
Dirt2Oil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Getting Happy now with the inReach SE

Well I did get an email from Tech Support today saying the inReach has been activated. Went outside and the activation was completed in a few minutes. I have been able to send/receive messages and track points appear on the map. . It was a little buggy getting setup but hope things will be OK from here.

Insanity is hereditary; you get it from your children. ~Sam Levenson
Dirt2Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #80
Dirt2Oil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Dan.... THANKS!!!

inReach SE's HELP text??? Until you mentioned it, I hadn't even seen there was one. Nor did I realize there was a second page of icons.
Totally missed that as well. Thanks Guys

Insanity is hereditary; you get it from your children. ~Sam Levenson
Dirt2Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #81
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Dan.... THANKS!!!

You said to read the Earthmate HELP text and that you do not need Location Services ON. Well, I've read every single page of it and don't see location services mentioned at all. Can you point me to where you saw that? The tech support guy I spoke with at DeLorme said you DO need to turn location services ON in order to see your position on the EarthMate map. And indeed, my own testing now seems to show that.

Thanks very much for your help, Dan. Much appreciated!
There are two maps in Earthmate. One is called MAP and the other is TRACKING. If you want to see your location on MAP you need location Services ON. If you want to see your TRACKING or MESSAGE position use the TRACKING map - it does not require Location Services as it gets your position from the inReach.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 07-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #82
Miles Prower
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thumb 6-day ride to Ontario and back with inReach SE

I just finished a 6-day ride to the Ontario Highlands and back with an inReach SE mounted to the handlebar of my MTS 1200. I spent much of the time out of cellphone reception.

In short, the inReach SE worked as expected, and my family was very happy that they could keep track of my position, knowing that I was safe, throughout the trip.

Having signed up for the service plan that allows for unlimited tracking as well as unlimited preset messages, most of my messaging was via the presets. I set up the three available preset slots to broadcast to my various followers (via email and SMS) the following messages: On the road; Taking a break; Staying the night. And throughout each day, I sent off the messages appropriately.

Even my Mom (who is not at all tech-savvy) was able to follow me on the map and via the messages, and she messaged me back several times. Each of my messages (preset and custom) was delivered with a location link that could be clicked on for a map, and there was a separate link that I sent everyone before my trip that displayed all of the tracking points.

Preset messages were easy enough to send using the inReach's D-pad and buttons, but most of my custom replies were typed in using my Galaxy Nexus (Android running the latest JB build) connected via Bluetooth to the inReach SE. Bluetooth on Android being what it is -- well, let's just say that I wasn't expecting it to work every time, and sure enough, this experience was very buggy. More often than not, the Earthmate Android app would not update after my message was sent. The inReach SE itself would show a successful transmission, while the Android app would show the "spinning wheel" as if the message hadn't been sent. No worries here, since I always checked the inReach itself for any messaging status.

GPS lock on the inReach comes VERY slowly and isn't all that reliable. But again, that's what I was expecting having read on other forums that the GPS capability of the inReach kinda sucks. My Garmin eTrex (also mounted on my bars) always had lock, while the inReach SE would be searching... and searching... and searching for lock, even when the tree cover was very minimal. My guess is that the inReach saves battery power by turning off its GPS in between tracking-point or message transmissions.

Would I trust the inReach for emergencies? Not by itself. It really needs a person (family member or close friend) "on the other end" following you to really serve as an emergency aid. Given that its GPS sucks, sending an SOS signal might not deliver a location to the responder, and I think you'd really want someone who is following you (and therefore knowing better where you might be and what activity you might have been doing) to speak to an emergency responder.

But given all that... yes, my not-so-high expectations were met, and ultimately, I'm happy with my purchase. The inReach SE serves a specific purpose, and it performs well enough that I will continue using it in the future.
Miles Prower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #83
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,677
Mine's been working great for the last week I've been riding the GDT. Tracking works 100% better than my spot, but it has turned off twice while its been in my tank bag. I think getting knocked around with other stuff inside has been doing that. I guess the RAM mount will solve the problem.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:57 PM   #84
Miles Prower
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
[...] but it has turned off twice while its been in my tank bag. I think getting knocked around with other stuff inside has been doing that. I guess the RAM mount will solve the problem.
Are you locking the buttons when you place it in your tank bag... and still experiencing the accidental disabling of tracking?

I'm waiting for the RAM mount too. The DeLorme website as of yesterday shows the RAM mount kit for sale -- with cradle, arm, and u-bolt clamp. (Two days ago, you could pre-order this kit, but now it's supposedly in-stock.) I don't want the whole kit; I just want the cradle. I checked with GPSCity yesterday, and they said that the RAM cradle isn't yet available from RAM Mount, and GPSCity didn't even think that the whole kit that's on DeLorme's website is available yet.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #85
Miles Prower
n00b

While I await the availability of the RAM cradle for the SE, I'm mounting my SE on a RAM Mount "platform" that I fashioned for myself. It's a RAM ball that replaces one of the bar-clamp bolts with a RAM arm attached to it. On the upper end of the arm is a RAM ball/diamond onto which I bolted a thick "platform" of PTFE sheet that I cut to smartphone size. The side of the PTFE facing me is covered in Velcro hook material. I have a waterproof smartphone softcase that has a bottom made of loop material. The SE goes partway into that softcase (the softcase acts as a semi-rigid pocket for the SE), and then the softcase Velcros onto my homemade "platform." It works fine, but I think the official RAM cradle for the SE will be the best solution.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:10 PM   #86
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Prower View Post
Are you locking the buttons when you place it in your tank bag... and still experiencing the accidental disabling of tracking?

I'm waiting for the RAM mount too. The DeLorme website as of yesterday shows the RAM mount kit for sale -- with cradle, arm, and u-bolt clamp. (Two days ago, you could pre-order this kit, but now it's supposedly in-stock.) I don't want the whole kit; I just want the cradle. I checked with GPSCity yesterday, and they said that the RAM cradle isn't yet available from RAM Mount, and GPSCity didn't even think that the whole kit that's on DeLorme's website is available yet.
No, I didn't know you could lock them. I'll have to read the manual. That's funny, because I was thinking that's a feature they should add
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #87
willcasp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
switched!

I just switched to the Inreach SE from the Spot II. I have noticed that the Inreach SE gets signal where the Spot II would not.
The tracking feature lets you know how many messages have been sent, when the next one will be sent, and confirms that the messages have been received. Nice features in trade off for that battery sucking screen.

Now, if the RAM mount would just ship.. and some way to power it directly from the bike would appear....
IBA #47287
AMA Lifer, BRC, NMA
2008 KTM 530 EXC-R
2008 KTM 200 XC-W
2006 BMW 1200GS Adventure
willcasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #88
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by willcasp View Post
I just switched to the Inreach SE from the Spot II. I have noticed that the Inreach SE gets signal where the Spot II would not.
The tracking feature lets you know how many messages have been sent, when the next one will be sent, and confirms that the messages have been received. Nice features in trade off for that battery sucking screen.

Now, if the RAM mount would just ship.. and some way to power it directly from the bike would appear....
You can also decide how long the screen is backlit, at what level it is backlit and how intense the colors are. I've had mine on Tracking at 10min interval on a single charge for over 70hrs continuous. If you're not moving, it will pause Tracking to save battery. This is actually the one device I have that I don't worry about the battery.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 08-14-2013, 04:02 PM   #89
willcasp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
One of my applications is multiday rallies, where 70 hrs won't cut it. With the Spot, I could just throw in a new set of batteries as needed. I will need bike power for this thing to get through a 10 day! USB is currently my only option.
IBA #47287
AMA Lifer, BRC, NMA
2008 KTM 530 EXC-R
2008 KTM 200 XC-W
2006 BMW 1200GS Adventure
willcasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #90
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by willcasp View Post
One of my applications is multiday rallies, where 70 hrs won't cut it. With the Spot, I could just throw in a new set of batteries as needed. I will need bike power for this thing to get through a 10 day! USB is currently my only option.
So, 10hrs/day x 10 days = 100hrs. You might be surprised as how long this battery lasts given the right power saving settings. You can also reduce the number of Track messages/hr which would greatly reduce draw on the battery.

Never the less, we get your concern so there are all sorts of power options out there as auxiliary power to charge your inReach back up over night. I don't recommend mounting the inReach (or SPOT) on the bike. If you should go down hard you and your bike will part company most likely and if you can't move you might want to have the inReach on YOU.

Dan
All Things GPS