User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
Rick G OP
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,987
Positive Bike Selling / Buying Experiences

There have been numerous threads about the crazy shit that happens when you are looking to buy or sell a bike. So how about a few positive stories to even things out?

OK, I'll start.

Today I just completed the sale of my much loved 1150GS to Sean (he found my bike on the MOA site) from Baltimore who did a fly and ride. The negotiation was a little screwy with him first by getting me to come down a couple hundred on the price, which was OK as I priced it to allow for a little dickery. The price we settled on I felt was fair for both of us as my bike came with a lot of extras but did have almost 80,000 miles. I agreed to pick him up at the airport and to make sure the bike was worthy for the 400 mile ride back to Baltimore. We agreed on the following weekend. Then the fun began.

He calls me 2 days after we entered into a verbal agreement telling me his Credit Union is giving him grief over a loan for a 9 year old bike with 80,000 miles and that he is sorry that he might not be able to complete the sale. I say, no problem I have other interest, I know the bike will sale, thanks anyway. I then start to talk to potential out of town buyer #2 who had expressed interest but hadn't made an offer yet. He tells me not to worry that if he offers to buy he has cash and will let me know in a day or two. Still no deal.

Not 15 minutes after exchanging emails with #2, I get an email from Sean tellig me that the CU relented and gave him the loan so the sale is on again. He also PayPal's me $500 for good faith. I send an email to #2 to let him know and he is good about it.

Now I had asked #1 to bring cash for the balance as he is out of state and my bank wouldn't immediately cash the check but put a hold on it. He agrees and all is well untill I get his phone call 2 days before his arrival to tell me that his CU is an electronic bank only and doesn't have cash on hand. WTF??? I think about it for a few minutes, and tell him that I have trust that he is not going to screw me and to just bring a cashiers check from his CU. All is well again.

This morning I pick him up at the airport, bring him to my home to see the bike for the first time (other than pics) and he is elated, telling me it is much nicer it is with even more goodies than he expected. I then show him a few things that were not included in the sale and he wants to buy my AStitch Tank Panniers for my $50 asking price. He doesn't have enough cash and asks if he can just write a check? I say sure, as by now we have gotten to know each other and I trust him. He proceeds to write me the check and when I look at it, it is for a couple hundred more than the panniers. He then tells me that I have been so good about everything and the bike is better than expected so he wanted to give me my original asking price. WOW! That has never happened before. Usually the buyer finds a little defect and tries to get an extra hundred knocked off, not the opposite! I told him if I knew he was going to do that I would have just given him the panniers.

So we head to the DMV to sign the title over and for him to get a temp tag to ride home with. I make a nice gesture back by picking up the $20 tag cost and then on the way home I stopped at the ATM to pick up a little cash as I was going to ride with him a bit till lunch and I needed cash. He then asks me how much the tolls are on the turnpike as he forgot to hit the bank up before leaving Baltimore and only has $20 cash, his checkbook + credit cards. So I give him $40 back so he will have some cash for the ride home and we rode together for a bit as he headed home. When we split, he had the most humongous shit eating grin on his face, he thanked me again and off he went.

So, have you ever had someone insist on paying you more for a bike you were selling him?

Lets hear about those positive bike buying / selling experieces!

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
surly357
Cochetopa dreamin'

Oddometer: 541
i've sold my last 3 craigslist bikes to the first/only person that's contacted me, they've shown up with cash and on time.

it CAN happen!

surly357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
bbagwell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Buying my TW200 went pretty well. My friend alerted me of the ad at around 9 PM on a Thursday night. I called and talked to the owner and everything sounded good. He was a 3 hour drive from me. He owned a muffler shop and had the bike at the shop and said he was there all day. I told him I would be there around noon Friday. I called Friday morning to confirm he still had it. He laughed and said yes it was still there.

Me and my buddy showed up, the bike looked great. I didn't have my endorsement yet so my buddy took it for a test ride. I rode it around the parking lot. He was selling because he bought a newer t-dub from one of his friends.

I asked how firm he was on the price, he laughed and said the ad had been up less then 24 hours he was pretty firm. I told him I wanted to go have lunch and I would get back to him. He told us about a good pizza place and off we went. We came back and he asked if I wanted to make an offer. I offered $50 less then he was asking he accepted.

I was excited my first motorcycle! He handed me a workbook from the Team Oregon class and said I should take the class to get my endorsement. I told him I planned on doing that.

I got a good deal, and he was a great guy and easy to deal with. Same buddy and I just took another road trip to get him a Husky SM610, it was another good experience. It always seems like the good deals are far from home!
Old 04-27-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
nukemm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
When I bought my KLR650 the original owner had all of the service records, the manual, the tool kit, a cover and he knocked a bit off the price when he saw my DOD decals and we shot the breeze for a good half hour as we went over all of the paperwork to make sure everything was right. The bike was better than listed and had another 18 months of warranty on it, and only had 2000 miles on it, too. The older guy who had it wanted to get his feet wet into adventure touring but couldn't handle the seat height and bought another Goldwing.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:26 AM   #5
Gonzoso
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
In fall of 2007 my buddy was riding around a 2001 Suzuki Marauder 800cc cruiser.

I've known him since I was about 4-5 years old.

In February 2008 he said he wanted to sell it, 10k on the odometer.

The next day I paid 2k cash and got a bike. Put 14k miles on it, crashed it once at 15 mph on cinders in may 2008, superficial scratches on the bar end and peg.

Sold it 3/13 w/ 24k miles for 1,800.

In all my craigslist/autotrader transactions I've found if you read between the lines you can get great smooth deals. 3/12 I got an 04 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 5 speed, 91k miles, in almost perfect condition for 5,300.
Gonzoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #6
Sox Fan
SoxFan

Oddometer: 897
[QUOTE=Gonzoso;21284425

In all my craigslist/autotrader transactions I've found if you read between the lines you can get great smooth deals. [/QUOTE]

This.

From reading the ad and a quick phone call, you can usually filter out most clowns. I have purchased a couple of bikes on Craigslist and one from the Flea Market 2000 miles away sight unseen and all sellers were fine to work with.

Don't buy from or sell to idiots. Life is too short.
1989 911
Sox Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #7
Gonzoso
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox Fan View Post
This.

From reading the ad and a quick phone call, you can usually filter out most clowns. I have purchased a couple of bikes on Craigslist and one from the Flea Market 2000 miles away sight unseen and all sellers were fine to work with.

Stupid people are stupid, and shady people are usually not the sharpest.

The kind of person I would like to buy a bike from is the kind of person who can operate a camera and take okay pictures of their item.

The kind of person I want to buy a bike from is someone who knows the basics of grammar and can spell at least at a sixth grade level, and writes in sentences.

If someone can't figure out how to communicate in our written language I don't want a machine they took care of.
Gonzoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #8
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,515
I'm a lot better at buying bikes than selling them.

I must be a Craig's List Asshat Magnet. I've been trying to sell a Ninja 650 recently. I bought it cheap - it was crashed and had a lot of deferred maintenance. I did all the maintenance and put new tires on it, added luggage, and rode it for a year. I'm selling it cheap, too.

The worst one of all was a little Chinese girl (I asked, not generalizing), she couldn't have been more than 5' tall, and couldn't lift it off the sidestand. But she kept dickering aggressively, offering less than half what I had advertised it for. She kept saying it was too heavy, and then low-balling me. WTF? I finally had to tell her that I wan't going to sell it to her at all.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #9
davethegoat
bahhh....bah...

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzoso View Post
stupid people are stupid, and shady people are usually not the sharpest.

The kind of person i would like to buy a bike from is the kind of person who can operate a camera and take okay pictures of their item.

The kind of person i want to buy a bike from is someone who knows the basics of grammar and can spell at least at a sixth grade level, and writes in sentences.

If someone can't figure out how to communicate in our written language i don't want a machine they took care of.

+1
Old 04-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #10
Rick G OP
Ranger Rick

OP here.

We are getting a bit off track. This thread is about POSITIVE experieces. We have enough threads about wackos.

Rick G
Old 04-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #11
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox Fan View Post
Pretty much this, it takes about 1.5 strikes before I call off the deal either buying or selling and haven't had a bad experience yet. I also only deal with cash, no financing on either end.

I purchased me first bike, a drz400, off craigslist and rode the wheels off it.

I also got my 640ADV off an inmate, drove three hours tooled around a parking lot and paid cash for it. Took it to Baja a month later.

Also got my XS1100 off craigslist which I turned into a brat bike

I was selling my 2000 RM250 named "earth muffin" that I rode as a trail bike through college. It was pretty clapped out when I got it, and I sunk an obscene amount of money into it trying to turn a Japanese MX bike into a European trail bike. It eventually blew up on me, I rebuilt it, threw more money at it and smashed a radiator first time out. I bought an actual European trail bike in the mean time (well traded my 640 Adventure for one stupid me) and so it sat until I got a new radiator, fixed that rode it twice and the bolt that holds the main gear to the crankshaft backed out of the case. (This happened once before to myself and at least once to the PO but I didn't pick up on it when I bought it. It was torqued properly and lock tighted under my watch) So I cleaned out the trans once again, tack welded the bolt onto the main gear so it couldn't back out, put it all back together and threw it up on the Craigslist for parts. Some Brotocrosser was interested and had the money so I met him in the highschool parking lot, he had a broken arm from wadding his last bike, his wife was driving him since he was in a sling and was about to have a baby on the spot. I rode it around for him, made sure he knew it was a timebomb and loaded it into the truck for him. Done deal.

I Sold the Husky I traded my adventure for to an inmate who drove three hours to a localish riding area and I met him there about an hour from me. We did a 20 mile single track loop together and he took it home. I put the cash in my camel back and went and rode an other 40 miles.

I just bought a 950Adv off craigslist, ad was up for less than an hour but when buying adventures I usually have ten or so sell out from under me before i can get to them so I told the guy I'd be there the next morning with cash. Drove nine hours, rode it around a little bit, and loaded it into the truck. If i'm doing that I assume if it blows up it's all part of the fun.

trust your gut and it's pretty straight forward, if someone starts giving you a hard time pass on them. someone else will be interested in your deal.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots screwed with this post 04-28-2013 at 08:20 PM
VxZeroKnots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #12
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,576
Just got this from a gent here in Texas the Friday of MotoGP in Austin. We hauled it around in the bed of my buddy's pickup the entire weekend.

As we drove up I could see it was pristine, looking at how well kept the seller's house, property, shop and other bikes were and after conversation I was ready to just hand over the cash. My buddy suggested I ride it first so I did, for about 100 yards.

Pic from it's first run with me. 'Gonna put a lot more miles on it than the 1,600 it had.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #13
bigalsmith101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Bought my bike from an inmate here

In October or November of 2011(can't remember now), I sent a $500 deposit via paypal to ADVBilly to secure the purchase of his outrageously farkled 2009 DR650 that he had listed in the fleamarket. The bike had been on the market for a little while, with interest but no sale. Billy didn't try to dicker with me on the price, he simply offered me a deal on the bike I couldn't turn down. Turns out, he had read my ride report, got inspired, and then decided he needed a DR650 with all the goodies. So he bought one, farkled it out, and then promptly bought an F650GS. Selling it to me was better than selling it to someone else he said!

This is while I was holed up in Azogues, Ecuador, 80% done with an 8 month trip from Seattle to Argentina on my then current 2007 DR650.

A month and a half later I flew home to the Seattle area from Buenos Aires, Argentina where I had just sold my '07DR650 to a 24yr old Australia. Then a full month later flew down to Alabama after a work contract to pick up the new bike. It was everything he said it was going to be and then some. He picked me up at the airport, and took me out to his hunting cabin where I met his father in law and several of his friends. We stayed out at the cabin (by cabin, I mean lake house...) and drank beer and Billy fed me with the southern hospitality that is common to the area. I.E. Steak and Shrimp Gumbo and more food then I needed, all while taking me on two different 100mi day trips around the area before on a solid sunny morning, I took off and road across the country to get my new to me bike back home to the homestead just north of Seattle, WA.

Not only did Billy hold the bike on a simple $500 deposit, he sent the second set of wheels that came with it to my house. The wheels were worth more than the deposit. I could have left it there and came out ahead. But no. He stored the bike, for nearly 3 months until I was able to come get it. He then accepted a check for the bike, as there wasn't a local Key Bank branch in Alabama. He then packed up my extra shit and mailed it home for me, while I rode home on the bike.

Best buying experience that I've ever had.

This is how it looks now.

bigalsmith101 screwed with this post 04-28-2013 at 11:29 PM
bigalsmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #14
Tom48
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
I brought a 2009 Honda 230l from a guy in Ma. It had 1200 miles on it and the engine ran well. I provided 3350 for it and am happy with it.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #15
Rick G OP
Ranger Rick

Now that is what I am talking about. Great story!! (two posts above)

Rick G