User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
Harcomo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Gaerne Balance Oiled Boots----chomping into my ankle bones

I ordered a pair of Gaerne Balance Oiled boots online and have worn them around the house some and they are about to kill my ankle bones. They must not be the latest versions as they don't have the black material sewn into the ankle bend gusset area on the outside of the ankle. They just have the 3 rows of stitching sewn in that area. Every time I take a step, the leather in that area takes a weird fold and bites into my ankle and makes it painful to walk at all in them.

Here is what mine look like:

Here is the one that I believe to be the newer version with the black material in the gusset area:

I bought these because of the good reviews that I've read about them being as comfortable to walk in as to ride in and they are comfortable if I don't have to move my ankle as in walking or shifting or braking. But if I can't do that, what are they good for? They are too expensive to sit around the house and watch TV in them! I don't get it because people say they are as comfortable out of the box as a pair of hikers. Are the ones with the black gusset in them more comfortable? The ones I have might break in after some time but I don't know if I can wear them long enough to break them in......and if they don't break in, I'm stuck with $300+ boots that I won't want to wear. BTW, I tried the Gaerne Pro Tech's first and they didn't have a gusset in that area either and they were even more uncomfortable than the oiled boots. So I returned them and got these. The picture on the website showed the lower pictured boot but I received the boots pictured at the top. So I'm at a crossroad of what to do.......return them and try to get the other style elsewhere or take my chances on them breaking in before they break me down. What's your experience and/or thoughts?
Harcomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #2
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Oddometer: 5,075
I have the Oiled (top style-no "gusset") and the Pro-Tech's. Oiled took a short time to break in and now they are as comfortable as slippers. The Pro-Tech's hurt my ankle in the beginning stages but now I could easily take a short hike with no problems. Break 'em in a little at a time.

Give them some time and they will serve you well for many years.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
mookybird
Gramps

Oddometer: 213
I also have a pair without the black in that area, I can't remember having any significant breakin issues and I'm as comfortable in these as any shoes I own. Mine folds in that area but the fold is out away from my ankle and I don't feel anything at all from it. Hope things work out.
mookybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #4
folknride
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
I have the same style as yours, and one boot bit me for a while in that spot - but it's fine now. I guess I would decide based on how serious the rub is - raw and bleeding - send 'em back - "new shoe" irritation - they will most likely get as comfortable as mine are now.
My only complaint with them is that the inner sole moves sometimes when I put them on - have to take the boot off and adjust.
folknride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
Harcomo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Well, upon further review, now I believe that the boot without the gussett (top photo) is the newest style. Can someone confirm this? I suppose I will keep them and give them a chance to break in.......soooo many people rave about this boot......it will undoubtedly get more comfortable as they are worn. I hope anyway cause I really do like them otherwise!
Harcomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #6
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,277
I have "typical" feet in size 12. I bought the 11's first time around because they supposedly run a tad to the big side, however they were too tight, so I had to return them and get 12's.

The 12's took about 1 hour of riding to break in, now they're as comfy as a pair of hiking boots - I really like them. Something doesn't sound right with yours from what you're saying. Are your feet "atypical"? Are the boots too tight because you were recommended to go a size smaller than you usually do? Possibly you got a bad pair?

I would either return them for a new pair, or if your feet are "atypical" perhaps take them to a Cobbler if you can find one. If it just needs a bit of stretching in the ankle area, a Cobbler may be able to do that in just a few minutes. In either case, I'm with you - they are way too expensive to not be able to use so I wouldn't just put up with it and hope for the best.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #7
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,277
Oh, and mine are the first pair without the gussets as well.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Oiled

Mine can bite me every once on a while....usually as simple as undoing the buckles & re-adjusting a bit & off I go...these boots are great IMHO and only will get better. I walked our golden a few times when mine were new and it seemed to help.
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:56 PM   #9
Wingboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
I have had the kind with the black gusset since last fall.Same problem.Tape a golfball with hockey tape to a paint stir stick and shove it down so that the ball pushes out the offending leather.When you have it in the right spot,fill the boot as tight as you can with newspaper.Treating the leather with "Fiebings Aussie leather conditioner" will also soften it a bit and help it conform better.Mine are like cozy slippers now.They hurt like bejeebuz at first.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #10
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,816
Mine do not have the black gusset. Bought March 2012, so 1 full season on them. They are very comfortable.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:27 PM   #11
Element_6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I have a pair without the black gusset and I have worn them for about 8 months without ever encountering a problem. I think you need to find a way to encourage the leather to pinch outwards when it folds rather than in if that is possible...
Element_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:16 AM   #12
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,569
i had a new pair of flight boots once, courtesy of US NAVY. right after breakfast, the DI ran us down to the water and made us swim out a ways and out in the water. then we marched around all day, ending up with dry and BROKE IN boots. those were the most comfortable boots i've ever owned. several good spit shines later, they were more or less waterproof. so my point is, get them soaked and walk/ride/walk/ride until dry.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:50 AM   #13
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harcomo View Post
So I'm at a crossroad of what to do.......return them and try to get the other style elsewhere or take my chances on them breaking in before they break me down. What's your experience and/or thoughts?
Well, the reality is, everyones body is shaped different and everything doesn't fit the same. If you are having that much difficulty I'd return them while you still can and find something else. That's a lot of money to spend on something that MAY eventually feel OK.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:58 AM   #14
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
Is it possible the boots just need to break in your ankles? I've had some boots, not just motorcycle boots, that have had some awesome pressure points into them (but otherwise fit well). Just some areas in general that seemingly rub holes in your feet when walking long distances. After a while the area toughens up for me, and it's like I never had a problem.

I know that sounds like a horrible process that is not medically sound, but I have pretty healthy ankles and feet overall. I would also try some decent long wool socks. They are usually good padding and abrasion protection while being breathable, with anti-microbial properties.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:24 AM   #15
Davi5678
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Mine did this too, especially the left. I spent some time working the leather, did the soaking and drying thing stuffed with newspaper, lots of leather nourishing cream, and folded and pinched them with a clamp so they reconformed. The break in can take a while. They're comfy now.
Mine aren't waterproof either, but It's not something that bothers me. No boot is once you wade in deep enough.
Davi5678 is offline   Reply With Quote