User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 06:31 AM   #16
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,062
oiled boots

Mine were bought last year and did not have the black on side, I found mine great and never cut in on the ankle. I just had mine warrantied because the velcro little strap on the top of the boot came apart and they sent me a new pair.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #17
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkey Cat View Post
Mine were bought last year and did not have the black on side, I found mine great and never cut in on the ankle. I just had mine warrantied because the velcro little strap on the top of the boot came apart and they sent me a new pair.
wow! That's really great customer service! I keep thinking about buying some extra plastic straps so that when the ones they came with wear out I'll have new ones. I keep worrying i'm going to end up owning these long enough that Gaerne will either go out of business or end up with a new style that doesn't use the same straps.....

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:52 PM   #18
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
mine are the same way, the top of that big stupid oval shaped plate is right under my ankle and every time I put my foot down on the bike it folds and digs into my ankle. Rarely happens when walking but sometimes happens when sitting in a chair and leaning the leg a certain way. And it's downright painful.

I checked out a bunch of brand new in the box pairs at a shop, and because of the way they were packed at the factory they all came with a crease in that exact spot.

If I wear thick socks they do not do that are are comfy as heck.

I wore them for 3 straight weeks (as walking boots) in Black Rock city, 120 degrees during the day, 30 at night. I made sure to wear thick wool socks.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:53 PM   #19
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 910
Mine (no gusset) will be a year old in June. Most comfortable boots I own. I treat them with Lexoil, then wipe them down with a beeswax-based conditioner.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:31 PM   #20
Razzeaux
Lost Wanderer

Oddometer: 59
I bought a pair and had the exact same issue. When I wore them the cut into my ankle. The first day I had them I wore them almost all day and I couldn't believe how they hurt my ankle. Then for several days I wore then inside with heavy socks for a couple hours to try to break them in, but they never stopped hurting.

I ended up getting rid of them and now I have Sidi Gortex Adventure. The Sidis were perfect. They were comfortable and kept my foot dry.
Razzeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #21
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Oddometer: 1,140
I bought some this week and mine were also very painful on my outer ankle bones. I cut some blocks of foam with an exacto knife into squares a little bigger than my ankles, then scooped out a circular area for the ankle to rest in. They stayed put and alleviated the pain. My foam was somewhere between soft & medium, and I made them about 1.5 inches thick. With a denser foam, about an inch thick should work.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #22
Harcomo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Update on the Balance Oiled Boots

I thought I should reply again after giving these boots a chance. I managed to break them in over a couple of weeks by utilizing a couple of new rolls of duct tape still covered with the plastic. I used them as boot stretchers by stuffing them sideways down into the ankle area of the boots. This seemed to stretch out the ankle area and alleviated the painful chomp into my ankle bones every time I took a step. I wore them on the bike for the first time the other day and they were very comfortable, both on the bike and off. I think they will only get better with age also. I figured I would post the happy outcome so this thread wouldn't scare off potential buyers of this boot. They may be stiff initially, but can be broken in with a little effort.
Harcomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #23
RonSJC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
I've had my eye on these boots for awhile. I have some Alpinestars Tech 6 that I ride in now but I was looking for something a bit more waterproof, a bit more comfortable for walking, but still protective. How do you feel the ankle protection is in these boots? Also, my feet sweat like crazy. How hot are they?
I bought some cheap Cyclegear Adventure boots for this past winter. They are waterproof, but my feet sweat so much it's like I just dipped them in the nearest creek, plus they have no support at all.
Thanks,
Ron
RonSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #24
jimbeauxk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSJC View Post
I've had my eye on these boots for awhile. I have some Alpinestars Tech 6 that I ride in now but I was looking for something a bit more waterproof, a bit more comfortable for walking, but still protective. How do you feel the ankle protection is in these boots? Also, my feet sweat like crazy. How hot are they?
I bought some cheap Cyclegear Adventure boots for this past winter. They are waterproof, but my feet sweat so much it's like I just dipped them in the nearest creek, plus they have no support at all.
Thanks,
Ron
Ron, I have the Gaerne boots, and to answer your question, they can get warm. They are made of thick leather with an internal lining, and that's a recipe for warm feet no matter what boot you go with. However, the lining may wick the sweat from your feet, someone else may want to chime in on that one, I've never really taken note. I can't answer for the waterproofness of them since mine are fairly new and haven't seen any rain. They are fine for walking in, actually really comfortable in that department.

One issue I have found, albeit a minor one, is I had to adjust the gear shift lever up. Surrounding the toe area is a protective cap that doesn't leave much tactile feeling for the lever. Raising the shift lever is not a big deal until I swap to a lowered toe boot for commuting, etc., at which time I have to overcompensate my up-shifting. I find them comfortable but overkill for an interstate commute, my workmates ask if I've gone skiing when I take them off at work, and I don't want to wear full-length boots all day at my desk job.

If commuting is what you're getting these for, there might be better choices. Also, I find longer tube socks work best with these unless you like the boot hugging bare skin on the upper leg. But, again, I don't wear tube socks daily. My solution was to get some 3/4 height boots for everyday wear that protect the ankles and allow for standard socks.

That's a long-winded answer to your question, but you might want to pencil out what your reasons for the Gaerne's will be before dropping $300 on them.
jimbeauxk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:40 PM   #25
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,888
Giving this old thread a bump because I'm wondering if it's easy to wear straight legged jeans over these, or do they have to be tucked in.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:27 AM   #26
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Giving this old thread a bump because I'm wondering if it's easy to wear straight legged jeans over these, or do they have to be tucked in.
yes
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:49 AM   #27
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
yes
Yes to wearing straight legged jeans over them?
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:16 PM   #28
botso
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Gaerne ankle biters

I have the same boot, it is about half used up and still bitting me. My solution was to take a pair of real heavy socks, cut out the toe area and were them over my reg. socks kinda like the old basball oversocks. Still a good boot though, I ride a 35 year old bike so i need something I can walk in. lol
botso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:01 PM   #29
botso
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Gaerne balanced boots new cure for the ankle bite.

I have a lot of different shoe inoles,, I took a thick half type insole about 3/8" thick put it under the orig insole, problem solved.

It raises the ankle up enough where the oval buckle base and the pinch point are below the ankle. I have been wearing mine in my shop all afternoon, haven't noticed it a bit, forgot I was even wearing them.
Elden Krause
botso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:07 PM   #30
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Yes to wearing straight legged jeans over them?
YES, my jeans legs pull over them just fine.