ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Mapping & Navigation
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-17-2015, 05:29 PM   #1
Hesaid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,516
So, no more Google Maps Classic?

I knew it was coming, but I had hoped otherwise:

Notice

So... How's Bing looking these days? I just want a simple, functioning map. Is that too much to ask for?

MV
Old 04-18-2015, 03:39 AM   #2
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesaid View Post

Notice

So... How's Bing looking these days? I just want a simple, functioning map. Is that too much to ask for?

MV
To be fair, since I've been using the new Google maps. I don't think it's all that bad. I to liked the classic look, but I think some of my aversion to the new maps was just an aversion to learning a new thing.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:42 AM   #3
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,944
Quote:

Notice

MV
its not too bad really.I resisted a long time before switching.Its less intuitive and more focused on recreation and or business ,not so much just simple maps/searches.Sorry i cant be more specific.I still have all my maps and searches
Old 04-18-2015, 04:00 AM   #4
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,105
Quote:

Notice

MV
wellll, google does that pretty alright with it's mapping stuffs.

if you want route planning, good lord no, don't use google maps. use furkot, gpsies, gpsvisualizer, or anything else that makes sense to use, and will automagically export the GPX as you would expect it to. you can use the same map DATA, the same IMAGES, even the same routing services (google/graphopper/etc), but the file processed for you is wayyyyy easier to redistribute.

if you want to embed maps.... i dunno. so many forums have screwy security policies that won't allow some-odd-thing so you won't be able to embed it anyway... just make a GPX and attach it to a post ?

and for the love of god, don't use ANYTHING that has proprietary file formats. i don't care now nice the handheld/software/app/whatever is, please kill the proprietary crap !

oops, i ranted. sorry about the mess. :)
Old 04-18-2015, 04:49 AM   #5
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataract2 View Post
To be fair, since I've been using the new Google maps. I don't think it's all that bad. I to liked the classic look, but I think some of my aversion to the new maps was just an aversion to learning a new thing.
I'm going to really miss the "measure" tool...

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 12:17 PM   #6
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
I'm going to really miss the "measure" tool...

ac
https://support.google.com/maps/answer/1628031?hl=en

Quote:
Measure and calculate distance

You can measure the distance between two or more points on the map using Google Maps. For example, you can measure the distance between two cities. Measure distance between points

To see the distance between points in the new Google Maps, use the right-click menu.
  1. Open Google Maps, and click in the search box to start with a clean map.
  2. Right-click on your starting point.
  3. Click Measure distance. If you don't see the Measure distance option, go to the alternate instructions at the bottom of this page.
  4. Click anywhere on the map to create a path you want to measure. Click to add additional measuring points.
  5. [Optional] Drag a point to move it, or click a point to remove it.
  6. Look under the search box for the total distance in both miles (mi) and kilometers (km).
When done, click the in the card under the search box or right-click on the map and select Clear measurement.
This what you were looking for?
Old 04-18-2015, 01:54 PM   #7
worwig
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,300
I have a slow internet connection, and the 'new maps' is painfully slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
I still have all my maps and searches
And I sort of 'lost' all of my maps in the switch. It was my own fault indirectly. I didn't realize that the new version of 'my maps' keeps your maps stored on the Google Drive. I started using a different cloud drive and 'wiped' all of my Google Drive files when I switched to prevent duplication. I didn't realize at the time that I had just wiped 'my maps'. Luckily, my important maps were also saved off as KML files on my PC.

Google giveth, Google taketh away.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:26 PM   #8
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataract2 View Post

YES!!!

THANK YOU!

I don't know why I didn't think to Google Google.

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:27 AM   #9
atarijedi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Google Maps classic is still available.

I just used it yesterday as the new Google Maps only allows 10 destinations, whereas classic allows any amount, or at least I haven't hit the limit yet.

Just go here > https://support.google.com/maps/answ...=en&authuser=1 and click Use Classic Maps.

Once I have created a route, I click the Link button, beside the printer button, copy the URL from the top box, and put it into GPS Visualizer > http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input

(i.e. Select GPX, paste the URL copied from above into the box that says "Or provide a URL...", click convert, voila!)

It will create a GPX file, or a KML file. I'll also note that Google Earth Pro is free now. So if you make a KML version, you can view it in GEP. GEP also has a distance tool.
atarijedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:41 PM   #10
Hesaid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Classic is available for right now, but there is a little fine print tag that pops up letting you know it won't be for long. I'm bummed, and I don't even do anything fancy with the maps. I never save, or export anything, I just like to look at maps and plan areas to explore. Occasionally I'll look up an address in another city or town, if I'm going to be travelling there. Since this announcement, I've been playing with new Google Maps to get a better feel for it, and it just isn't as good. Slower, clunkier, I'll keep trying, but I'll be trying others also.

MV
Old 04-20-2015, 12:53 PM   #11
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,135
I use to jump through all of those hoops to plan a ride(s). No more. I just use Furkot.com. If I want Distance I can get it in a mouse-over popup as I move along a route segment. I can set it to show Distance from Start or Between All Stops or between Overnight Stops. It also shows your travel time based upon your departure plan - although that is only good for some what-if planning.

One stop planning.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:58 PM   #12
Hesaid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Furkot is one of the ones I'm playing with. It has some neat features, but so far has been very glitchy for me. I'll be spending time this week messing about with options. And reading through the Furkot thread as well.

MV
Old 04-20-2015, 01:47 PM   #13
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,135
I have a Furkot Pro Tips Playlist on YouTube if you're interested.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:19 AM   #14
chrisjk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
After Dan's evangelism, I persisted with Furkot and now like it, especially for multi-day trips. However for a simpler, less cluttered planning tool I still like and frequently use this one http://www.motoplaner.de/ The site's in German but depending on your browser, you'll get an offer to translate ( Chrome and Opera work well) although it's so easy you probably won't even need that.

The site will export routes or tracks in more formats than you probably knew existed and you can adjust the number of points to be added to suit your device or purpose.

You can also use a variety of map types, including Google and you can plan mixed (on road, off road routes). For the off-road sections, the routing is direct, that is you construct a set of straight line sections.

chrisjk screwed with this post 04-21-2015 at 12:30 AM
chrisjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 06:49 AM   #15
worwig
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjk View Post
After Dan's evangelism, I persisted with Furkot and now like it, especially for multi-day trips. However for a simpler, less cluttered planning tool I still like and frequently use this one http://www.motoplaner.de/ The site's in German but depending on your browser, you'll get an offer to translate ( Chrome and Opera work well) although it's so easy you probably won't even need that.
I tried Furkot a number of times. I have so many trip planners that are SO much easier, I wasn't able to stick it out and learn Furkot.