User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #61
Travex OP
Lost is found

Oddometer: 134
My brand new replacement came complete with mount. I'll look it over to see if there are any differences between it and the one on the bike and update.

2012 Super Tenere For Sale in "The Flea Market"

Travex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:30 AM   #62
Jantan
n00b

Oddometer: 5
My new replacement device came too in a box with all the mounts in it. I did install the new device in to the old mount. I start to believe too that it is the MOUNT that causes freezing.

I took a small carpet-knife and cut out tiny slice from the small separating piece of plastic that is between studs. Let's see if thats the reason!
Jantan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:55 AM   #63
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
But if the problem is really on the stand, sending new machines will not solve it either.
Correct, but when Garmin sees the expense of sending people new units all the time, they will work harder to figure out the problem and make a real fix.
Smugmug Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:45 AM   #64
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travex View Post
My brand new replacement came complete with mount. I'll look it over to see if there are any differences between it and the one on the bike and update.
I would assume they are the same, as Garmin doesn't appear to be informed of this (if this is really the issue).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantan View Post
My new replacement device came too in a box with all the mounts in it. I did install the new device in to the old mount. I start to believe too that it is the MOUNT that causes freezing.

I took a small carpet-knife and cut out tiny slice from the small separating piece of plastic that is between studs. Let's see if thats the reason!
Please keep us posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Correct, but when Garmin sees the expense of sending people new units all the time, they will work harder to figure out the problem and make a real fix.
Well, the easiest and least expensive way to get them to fix it is to directly communicate the field findings from the beta testers with them.

Unless you want to charge them for "pain and suffering". But because there "ain't no free lunch", in the long run we are the ones paying for the cost of development (or all the replacements).

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:22 AM   #65
Travex OP
Lost is found

Upon close examination and comparison of my original mount (still on the bike) and the replacement mount, they're identical.

It seems to me that if Garmin were aware of a mount defect they'd much rather be sending those out rather than GPS units given the cost. At this point I take little stock in the mount being the cause of the problem.

They're playing the customer on this one... Remunerating as much of their cost on the model before it quietly goes away as it's apparent they won't admit to defect and are clearly unable to address/repair it.

The 350 has become poison in the forums and informed consumers simply won't tolerate, nor should we, this degree of quality.

And to think all I wanted to do was get from point A to point B.
I picked up a free map the other day. It hasn't frozen up, locked up, reset my trip, lost my points of interest or mileage tracking. Amazing bit of technology really.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:17 PM   #66
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantan View Post

Please keep us posted!

I'd rather be riding!

Old 05-29-2013, 12:20 PM   #67
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travex View Post
Upon close examination and comparison of my original mount (still on the bike) and the replacement mount, they're identical.

It seems to me that if Garmin were aware of a mount defect they'd much rather be sending those out rather than GPS units given the cost. At this point I take little stock in the mount being the cause of the problem.

They're playing the customer on this one... Remunerating as much of their cost on the model before it quietly goes away as it's apparent they won't admit to defect and are clearly unable to address/repair it.

The 350 has become poison in the forums and informed consumers simply won't tolerate, nor should we, this degree of quality.

And to think all I wanted to do was get from point A to point B.
I picked up a free map the other day. It hasn't frozen up, locked up, reset my trip, lost my points of interest or mileage tracking. Amazing bit of technology really.
I'm not surprised they are identical since everyone with the problem continues to have the problem with their replacement units.

Let's first find out if the connection is really a possible issue. I'm pretty sure Garmin has an interest in solving this problem. It just may not be on their priority list at this point, as this unit is not their best seller, I suppose. Judging by this site's statistics on threads, the Montana gathers a lot more movement. I would suppose the Montana sells a lot more units than the 350.

I'd rather be riding!

Old 05-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #68
Meff
half way there...

Oddometer: 46
Glad I found this thread - I was getting ready to buy the 350LM and was just looking for user feedback vs the 665LM

I'm not sure I want to purchase either unit now...
Meff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:53 PM   #69
Jantan
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Today I had time to ride a test run. GPS worked nicely about 100km, but I came into downtown of Helsinki it happened again! What makes it interesting is where it happened...on a smooth pavement no problem, but many of the streets in Helsinki are made of cobblestone. So the freezing happened right after I hit to the street made of cobblestone. Shaking was pretty hard and I think that GPS nor the mount didn't like the shake. I keep on examining the cause and try to find a solution...will inform Garmin as well.
Jantan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:07 PM   #70
Kincop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Today I put the 350 together with TMC (35) in my car all mounted and powered with original Garmin stuff. Yes it frooze after aprox 25km...! Now I really trust this device to really freeze EVERY time I take it for a trip regardless bike or car..

Kincop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:56 PM   #71
Travex OP
Lost is found

I also cannot use the unit regardless of distance without at least one freeze.
3 freezes in 150mi this morning.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:29 AM   #72
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,655
Guys, please keep after Garmin on this issue. Don't let them off the hook. They need to devise a fix for this somehow. A GPS that freezes is unacceptable, and I would use the word "unacceptable" when speaking with them. At this point, I am shocked that I have not experienced the freezing problem with mine. I will definitely post here if I do.
Smugmug Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:50 AM   #73
Travex OP
Lost is found

I agree and therefore speak in frank, literal terms with Garmin. Leaving nothing to imagination.

Given the fact that I bought my unit mid-season last year and it performed flawlessly until this spring strongly indicates a software malfunction due to an update as the problem hadn't reared it's head until then and ever since. Further, it seems from anecdotal reporting that this problem could be isolated to the means by which the updates were performed. e.g. which software was used. My guess is this theme would be consistent among we owners. Good for you that you're not experiencing it.

I'll be returning home soon and will complete this business with Garmin. The inconveniences provided by this unit on a long trip (or even short), cannot be overstated.

Learning to hold the reset button for ten seconds while riding single handed has become a ballet of sorts. Granted, I could pull over (and had been), but the time loss and further attention to the problem were simply too aggravating for a pleasurable cruise.

Admit it, own it, get past it. C'mon Garmin.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:06 AM   #74
Flying GS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
This is a strong DO NOT BUY for Garmin Zumo 350. Perfectly unusable as my ride yesterday was the occasion of many freezes, and unsafe (should you try to reset on the move!). It is also very hard to tell the unit froze in nav. mode... until it's too late. Garmin tech support response in the UK is unacceptably slow and inadequate, still waiting for a second email from them for exchange a week on. Shame, I've been using Garmin since the Garmin I.
Flying GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:32 AM   #75
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying GS View Post
This is a strong DO NOT BUY for Garmin Zumo 350. Perfectly unusable as my ride yesterday was the occasion of many freezes, and unsafe (should you try to reset on the move!). It is also very hard to tell the unit froze in nav. mode... until it's too late. Garmin tech support response in the UK is unacceptably slow and inadequate, still waiting for a second email from them for exchange a week on. Shame, I've been using Garmin since the Garmin I.
I'm following this thread, had the 350 in my short list. Decided not to buy it based on the freezing problem.

I'd rather be riding!