ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 04:37 AM   #121
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travex View Post
A bit off topic here, but looking through the features today I saw that when using the unit converter app/Currency, that the last update is dated 9/8/2011.
If someone is aware of a way to update this feature aside from the typical update conventions that have obviously failed, it'd be good to hear from you.
Thanks
Are you sure that an update has been released?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:24 AM   #122
Travex OP
Lost is found

Oddometer: 135
No. It would stand to reason that if they were furnishing a currency converter that there would be a seamless update (assumed it should happen with any update) as it is such volatile data. eg, Learning the exchange rate between $1.00 U.S. v Canada from September 2011 is of no use to any traveler.

I'm really trying to like the 350, perhaps just trying to justify it's exorbitant price... But it keeps putting up a fight.

2012 Super Tenere For Sale in "The Flea Market"

Travex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:00 AM   #123
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,177
Currency conversion is too volatile for any sort of app to be of any use. You could have checked before you went in the bank but by the time you get to the counter it is likely to be different. The info in the app (even IF current) is the big boy to big boy rate, we mere peons don't get that rate anyway.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #124
Travex OP
Lost is found

Good point. But seeing they put it there they should have a convention in place to keep it updated so we have an approx value.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #125
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Good point. But seeing they put it there they should have a convention in place to keep it updated so we have an approx value.
Are we sure that the unit does not pull data from some outside source for the rates?
Old 06-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #126
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Are we sure that the unit does not pull data from some outside source for the rates?
Satellite data? If they did that, then updates should be automatic as well, by-passing our internet-based computers.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #127
Travex OP
Lost is found

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
We most certainly are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Satellite data? If they did that, then updates should be automatic as well, by-passing our internet-based computers.
That would be great but I don't know if the technology supports it. Odd that they'd put that in there w/o a clear or seamless means of update.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #128
Travex OP
Lost is found

Another day, another problem.

Had a very nice ride through the Allegheny National Forest in PA today. When I was about 175mi (furthest point from home), I thought that the ride was so good that I'd go back the way I came so I used the Track Back App. Nope.
It calculated for several minutes then offered up a pop-up error stating that it could not calculate the route. Once OK'd, that was followed by the red "Stop" option being visible on the map screen, although no waypoint or destination was set.

Just trading one mistake for another with this damn thing. Not that the Track Back app is a big deal to me, but I have used it on occasion and it was handy. Now I'm learning not to count on that any more.

Glad I didn't buy a cheap GPS... I'd be having all kinds of trouble.

Travex screwed with this post 06-19-2013 at 08:36 PM
Old 06-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #129
Meff
half way there...

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Another day, another problem.

Glad I didn't buy a cheap GPS... I'd be having all kinds of trouble.
Sorry to hear of your continued struggles with your unit Travex, sounds like you may just have a lemon of a unit on your hands. I appreciate your diligence in documenting and tweaking your 350 along with others in this thread, it has helped me a lot in making my decision (best of an otherwise bad batch of GPS choices in my view) Maybe simply by lowering my expectations on what to expect from the device....

I've done 2000 miles in the last 4 days on mine without so much as a hiccup and am very happy with my 350. I have another 3000 miles to go on my current trek, and will post further on my experience with the unit as I gain it.
Meff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:23 AM   #130
Travex OP
Lost is found

Thanks for chiming in Meff.

"best of an otherwise bad batch of GPS choices" really does say it all.

In my case I bought it as it's been several years since my last (450) and you know how technology marches faster than time. On paper (and until I did my 1st update) this is/was a great GPS. I hope it continues to serve you perfectly on your ride and every one after.

What version are you running / are you using fuel tracking / is autozoom enabled / 3D view / etc?

Old 06-21-2013, 01:51 AM   #131
saito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
went for a ride yesterday, worked just fine.

V2.7
2D
no fuel tracking (my bike does that just fine)
autozoom enabled
saito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:00 AM   #132
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meff View Post
Sorry to hear of your continued struggles with your unit Travex, sounds like you may just have a lemon of a unit on your hands. I appreciate your diligence in documenting and tweaking your 350 along with others in this thread, it has helped me a lot in making my decision (best of an otherwise bad batch of GPS choices in my view) Maybe simply by lowering my expectations on what to expect from the device....

I've done 2000 miles in the last 4 days on mine without so much as a hiccup and am very happy with my 350. I have another 3000 miles to go on my current trek, and will post further on my experience with the unit as I gain it.
Considering the problem Travex stated is likely a software issue, the term "lemon" would apply to ALL Zumo 350's.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #133
Travex OP
Lost is found

With fuel calc enabled there were no failures in over 300mi so far today. In fact, the fuel feature now includes a nifty yellow top banner cautioning end of tankful with a sliding animation that also worked properly and smoothly. Routing to my destination was normal and auto-zoom also worked properly. I'm not going to count my chickens quite yet, but it appears I may finally be getting the product I bought over a year ago. Could this be? Is it finally exiting BETA?

Old 06-27-2013, 03:44 AM   #134
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
With fuel calc enabled there were no failures in over 300mi so far today. In fact, the fuel feature now includes a nifty yellow top banner cautioning end of tankful with a sliding animation that also worked properly and smoothly. Routing to my destination was normal and auto-zoom also worked properly. I'm not going to count my chickens quite yet, but it appears I may finally be getting the product I bought over a year ago. Could this be? Is it finally exiting BETA?
Let's hope so!

I am just back from a 1746 mile backroads trip using the 350 as my primary nav and a Montana as a rolling topo map. I had 2 issues:

1. The 350 randomly powered completely off at least twice. Holding down the power button brought it back up and navigating my route like nothing happened.

2. One of the spring loaded pins on the power cord in the mount started randomly sticking in the down position, causing loss of power and consequent half brightness screen. If I removed the gps and poked the pin, it would pop back out and do its job. This meant stopping, so through trial and error I found that if I grasped the unit and wiggled it clockwise and counter clockwise that this would cause the spring pin to pop back out.

I spoke with Garmin support yesterday and they are sending me a replacement power cord. They don't know if the shut-downs that I experienced are related to the stuck spring pin or not, so want me to see how it goes. If it continues to randomly power down with the new cord, I am to call them back. I rode something like 8-10 hours each day except one, so two shut-downs were not a huge issue, but I do want to make sure it doesn't keep happening.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:10 AM   #135
saito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
leaving saturday for a 2 week trip, first trip with my 350, lets hope it'll work as i hope it will :) I'll report my findings.
saito is online now   Reply With Quote