Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #16
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolling View Post
I really like riding with an automatic.

I thing it would have a huge take rate on the Goldwing.

I think most Harley riders would like automatic transmissions too but I don't think their egos would let them go for it.
I refuse to 2nd guess Harley riders
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #17
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
We have one decent Honda dealer around here. The rest I wouldn't even consider dealing with.
I see both an automatic Goldwing and a Goldwing trike happening in the future. At least half of all newer Goldwings are turned into trikes with aftermarket kits, surely Honda has not failed to notice this. Plus Harley has their TriGlide.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:34 PM   #18
quasigentrified
Trumpet Strumpet

Oddometer: 744
so despite the fact that it looks like a goldwing's tardo stepchild, i traded in the bv 350 and blew my grom preorder (jerryh breathes a sigh of relief) to buy a ctx 700 so i could do some lightweight touring of the peninsula with my bike pals.

check it:

oh god it is so comfortable. it is so catass fugly. it's also my commuter, although with a crampbuster the zook has been pulling duty in that role as well. anyway, pnw folks, please don't throw rocks at me on bike night!

i'll get the grom next year. i'm still in love with it.

'14 Triumph America LT for posin'

quasigentrified screwed with this post 08-03-2013 at 11:40 PM
quasigentrified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:54 PM   #19
TheReaper! OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
I sat on this exact bike at the dealer a few days ago , it fit me perfectly . Can't say that happens very often . It needs a matching trunk IMO , and some nice guy (sucker) to buy it and sell it to me for half what he paid for it

From what I've read above 70mph there ain't much left in the throttle . My Big Ruckus will do that and it's only a 250cc scooter , and a heavy 250cc scooter at that . Did I mention the dealer is asking list price at this point ?

TheReaper!
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:05 AM   #20
JerryH
Banned

I also sat on it (the "N" model) and it was a perfect fit. Pegs and controls feel just like my Vulcan 750, which is also a perfect fit. So perfect in fact that I have 160,000 miles on Vulcan 750s. The seat may not be as good, only racking up some miles would tell you that. But I gave up on the idea of buying one. Even with the automatic transmission, it is still a motorcycle, and in the not to distant future, I am going to have a very difficult time getting on and off of a motorcycle, so I will probably be making a permanent move to scooters. If this bike had come out several years ago, I would have almost certainly bought one. I am only 54, but have some severe orthopedic issues. I am retiring at 55, and hope to spend the next several years riding, even if it is on a scooter. Two wheels is two wheels. No trikes for me for a long time.

And I certainly don't see anything ugly about the CTX, when compared to other "modern" motorcycles.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:53 AM   #21
quasigentrified
Trumpet Strumpet

i just dislike all the plastic! it's a LOT of plastic, more plastic than most scooters. my preference in bikes is the same as my preference in women: small, light, little plastic and as naked as you can get 'em!

Old 08-04-2013, 06:58 AM   #22
quasigentrified
Trumpet Strumpet

hm, i've wound the bike up to just over 88 and there was more to give. it's the same engine as in the nc700x. it's pretty torquey overall. boy, though, if you get the dct version, use the s mode rather than the short shifting, fuel sipping d mode, or you'll be whacking the downshift paddle all the time AND worrying that you've bought the luggiest pig of a plastic bike EVER.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:00 AM   #23
quasigentrified
Trumpet Strumpet

god bless you, jerry, for staying away from trikes. i'd just get a miata convertible if all i coud ride was a trike!

Old 08-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #24
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,856
I've seen some of these in various dealer showrooms. I think they are ugly and I have no desire for a motorcycle with an automatic transmission. I didn't sit on it but it doesn't look like the riding position would work for me, it looks too much like a cruiser riding position which is just too hard on my back. Maybe next time I see one I'll sit on it but I just don't see one of these in my future. If I wanted an automatic motorcycle I'd be looking at the Aprilia Mana 850. I really like the Mana 850 except for the automatic transmission.

I do think that more riders are open to the idea of an automatic than in the past and the price on this thing is reasonably priced so it may just sell. Only time will tell.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #25
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 1,132
Congrats on the new bike, Quasi - I think it is good looking! The riding position looks relatively upright. I gotta say, it looks WAY more FUNctional than the Grom. It will be interesting to hear your opinion of it with more miles.

When I bought the V-Strom (BS - before scooter), I told my dealer friend, "I have never owned an ugly motorcycle before.* It looks like a Japanese robot bug from the front."

He said, "Ride it. Don't look at it from the front."

The looks grew on me, 'cause the bike was fun to ride. I think the same may come to pass with you and the new Honda.

Best wishes,
Jim

* Not entirely true - my first motorcycle was a butt-ugly Honda Dream 150.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #26
JerryH
Banned

Seems like the CTX would have about the same riding position as a maxi scooter like the Silverwing, Burg, or Majesty. Nobody complains about them. In fact I understand the reason people want the long ones is for the forward foot position, so they can kick back and relax while cruising down the highway.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #27
quasigentrified
Trumpet Strumpet

i put a few k miles on the mana, and really enjoyed it as a touring ride -- but it was so damn top heavy (and heavy overall) that it made my then-regular trips into hilly downtown seattle a real trial. also, it was a bloody expensive bike to own!

i do like gettin shifty, but my left hand remains a carpal tunnel wreck and any ride over an hour with downtown shiftwork is a no-go. i have the zook for bike nights and short hooligan runs.

quasigentrified screwed with this post 08-04-2013 at 12:21 PM
Old 08-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #28
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Seems like the CTX would have about the same riding position as a maxi scooter like the Silverwing, Burg, or Majesty. Nobody complains about them. In fact I understand the reason people want the long ones is for the forward foot position, so they can kick back and relax while cruising down the highway.
I don't like the riding positions of the maxi scooters either. Not everyone finds cruisers to be comfortable. I have ridden a number of large cruisers, Japanese as well as Harley's and don't really care for the riding position. However, I haven't ridden them all so there may be some out there that I would find comfortable. The last Harley I rode was a Heritage Softail Classic I rented for half a day in Alaska. It was reasonably comfortable but I wasn't on it long enough to make a really good evaluation.

As for Maxi scooters, I have sat on all of them but only ridden the T max. Perhaps I would change my mind if I ever had the chance to ride one for a long distance.

However, everyone is built different so there is no one riding position that will work for everyone.

klaviator screwed with this post 08-04-2013 at 03:04 PM
klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #29
JerryH
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I don't like the riding positions of the maxi scooters either. Not everyone finds cruisers to be comfortable. I have ridden a number of large cruisers, Japanese as well as Harley's and don't really care for the riding position. However, I haven't ridden them all so there may be some out there that I would find comfortable. The last Harley I rode was a Heritage Softail Classic I rented for half a day in Alaska. It was reasonably comfortable but I wasn't on it long enough to make a really good evaluation.

As for Maxi scooters, I have sat on all of them but only ridden the T max. Perhaps I would change my mind if I ever had the chance to ride one for a long distance.

However, everyone is built different so there is no one riding position that will work for everyone.
Due to orthopedic problems, there are two things I cannot deal with for any length of time. One is bars that are so low or forward that I have to lean forward to reach them. I must be able to sit straight up, and reach the bars with my arms relaxed, so there is no weight on my shoulders. The other is that I have to have a knee bend of at least 90 degrees. A little more forward is fine, but I cannot have my feet behind my knees. My Vino and Zuma have this position and fit perfectly. My Vulcan has the pegs slightly more forward, but not enough to be a problem. My XT225 has 2" bar risers, and the bars fit fine. The pegs are a little to far back, and cause leg cramps on longer rides. I found that switching back and forth between the rider and passenger pegs helps, and lets me ride farther before stopping for a break. The Stella foot position is fine, but the bars are a bit to low, causing pain after 50-60 miles. And the "breadloaf " seat is awful. Fortunately it gets ridden mostly short distances only.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #30
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper! View Post
.....snipped....
From what I've read above 70mph there ain't much left in the throttle . My Big Ruckus will do that and it's only a 250cc scooter , and a heavy 250cc scooter at that . Did I mention the dealer is asking list price at this point ?

TheReaper!
I don't know where you read that but this family of bikes does the ton easily and has plenty of passing power left at 70, 80, 90 mph. That's what gears are for even on bikes like the DCT model of the 700's. It is an automatic clutch 6 speed not a CVT. One can choose a manual mode to paddle shift at will or leave it in Auto and poke the - paddle to manually downshift to pick up the pace for passing or just speeding up. Quickly rolling on the throttle at 70 mph the DCT kicks down a couple gears like a rider would with a manual transmission if they needed all the 670cc could deliver. If the roll on is gradual it stays in 6th, again like an experienced rider would.

Reading through this thread it appeared that it is not well known that the NC700X and CTX700s are available with either the manual 6 speed or a DCT transmission.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote