Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #31
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 657
yeah, i passed a truck at almost 100 this morning heading out to leavenworth. thumbed the gear down to 5th and it didn't shift back up until the engine was nearly at redline. i don't there's gonna be much left after that, but if you wanna squid out, this ain't the bike for it

'14 Triumph America LT for posin'
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #32
TheReaper! OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
I don't know where you read that but this family of bikes does the ton easily and has plenty of passing power left at 70, 80, 90 mph. That's what gears are for even on bikes like the DCT model of the 700's. It is an automatic clutch 6 speed not a CVT. One can choose a manual mode to paddle shift at will or leave it in Auto and poke the - paddle to manually downshift to pick up the pace for passing or just speeding up. Quickly rolling on the throttle at 70 mph the DCT kicks down a couple gears like a rider would with a manual transmission if they needed all the 670cc could deliver. If the roll on is gradual it stays in 6th, again like an experienced rider would.

Reading through this thread it appeared that it is not well known that the NC700X and CTX700s are available with either the manual 6 speed or a DCT transmission.
I read it on the new forum for these bikes from a new owner . TheReaper!
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #33
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,702
What kind of MPG are you getting?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #34
Pilgrim21784
Pilgrim21784

Oddometer: 91
Hey Q - cool new ride! What does the maintenance schedule look like?
Pilgrim21784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #35
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
Hey Q - cool new ride! What does the maintenance schedule look like?
same as the cb500's :-\ service and valve clearance check at 600, then inspection/service at every 4K miles thereafter. (it looks like you could do just the 8K intervals, the changes at the 4K ones are inspections and simple filter replacements.)

the biggest D'OH about this bike is the lack of spools or mounting holes for spools on the swingarms. it doesn't look like drilling the swingarms would be a good idea, either, so i'm gonna see if the dealer can thread the back axle and mount spools that way. what the fork, honda? my first chain lube (i clean/lube every 500 miles, typically) involved me rolling the bike down the driveway slowly with my wife spraying the lube on the chain. it musta been hilarious for the neighbors :lol:

Old 08-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #36
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasigentrified View Post
so despite the fact that it looks like a goldwing's tardo stepchild, i traded in the bv 350 and blew my grom preorder (jerryh breathes a sigh of relief) to buy a ctx 700 so i could do some lightweight touring of the peninsula with my bike pals.

check it:

oh god it is so comfortable. it is so catass fugly. it's also my commuter, although with a crampbuster the zook has been pulling duty in that role as well. anyway, pnw folks, please don't throw rocks at me on bike night!

i'll get the grom next year. i'm still in love with it.
hi :)

how is low speed handling if i may ask? like gas station speeds and crowded parking lots? how does the bike filter traffic and split lanes, if you know? or can you imagine?

is riding position completely cruiser like, or is it a happy compromise between cruiser and the straight up position of a street bike? or not so happy compromise, perhaps?

does the auto give more varied seating positions you can explore despite the pegs? i mean without the left hand and foot being tied to shifting i would think you can squirm and adjust a bit more?

thanks! glad you are enjoying the bike. i am interested in the non-touring, base model
Old 08-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #37
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

it's like riding a light midsize, cheerful cruiser, full stop. it's not even close to the bv 350 (much less my wife's pcx 150) when it comes to low speed (0 to 8 mph) handling, but i can U-turn it easy and i have no trouble in seattle and bellevue's effed up and congested parking lots. the center of gravity is low and it has a good midpoint. compared to a vulcan 900 (the last cruiser i rode), it seems very light and nimble. compared to my gladius or the bv 350, it feels like a LEETLE bit of a barge. (duh.)

we can't lane split here, but i'm kind of a commuter shithead so i'll filter right for turns on the regular. brakes are soft, so you need to be on the look out -- no scooter panic pulls. i have it in manual mode in downtown since even the sport ("s") mode likes to hop up to third quicker than i'd like when traffic gets crazy. drive ("d") mode launches up to 6th unless you go wot, and i think the only reason it exists is for prius types obsessed with mpg. out of town, i flip it into "s" mode and relax. it swerves REALLY well thanks to the almost perfectly centered weight, and i admit to showing off in seattle downtown, weaving in a snappy, reactive fashion around any and all potholes, grates, hobos, etc. ;-)

i can squirm a bit on it, and do. i'm 5'11", 185 lbs, but i have yet to develop iron butt grade bike stamina. i toured the olympic peninsula on it the weekend before this and did 250 miles straight with only a small hitch in my back and some soreness in my hamstrings when i finally left the saddle. i think the aprilia mana 850 gt was more comfortable to me over longer distance -- cruiser posture isn't my thang as much as I'd hoped -- but it is still plenty comfortable as a lightweight, midrange touring bike. best of all, the cruiser position is more friendly to my carpal tunnel; no zombie hands and crampbuster dependency!

quasigentrified screwed with this post 08-11-2013 at 05:59 PM
Old 08-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #38
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

i noted on the owner's forum (where i post as "castellan") that this isn't actually a great beginner bike, by the by, at least if you're in an urban setting. the brakes are a bit soft and while the weight seems trivial at rest due to the well-placed and well-balanced center of gravity, it takes some established handling skills if you're gonna swing it around in tight areas, and stopping on hills requires a little forethought. as ever, it's more of a bike a newbie can ride, than it is a bike FOR newbies. i think it could easily scare someone new to the sport if they are riding in an urban area, and could teach them some bad braking/turning habits. (i am pretty adamant that everyone should learn on a 250cc bike, though.)

i'm writing up a full review comparison to the aprilia mana 850 gt, which i'll post in road warriors at some point. we need an autobike thread there, anyhow.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:29 AM   #39
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
^

thanks for all that. great observations and riding impressions from someone who has and still does ride a variety of bikes, including scooters

this bike sounds sweet but for my purposes, although more expensive, i think the NX700 DCT might be a better fit for me at this time. i like the idea of the auto for L.A. traffic and freeway commuting, and although looking to get a "first" motorcycle i figure an inexpensive used super sport will come in handy for all that shifting

so i will be

scooter
NX700 DCT
used supersport

sounds like a nice balance of bikes to me!!

looking forward to your reviews and upcoming info on that bike of yours. still in the running for future consideration. these auto bikes Honda has shown....very interesting
Old 08-12-2013, 05:47 AM   #40
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasigentrified View Post
same as the cb500's :-\ service and valve clearance check at 600, then inspection/service at every 4K miles thereafter. (it looks like you could do just the 8K intervals, the changes at the 4K ones are inspections and simple filter replacements.)
Are you quite sure about this schedule? The 700X has 8k valve checks and engine oil/DCT oil filter changes. The 500s have shim under bucket valve adjustments - the 700 is simple locknut adjusters. I could be wrong but I think all the 670 cc motors have the same schedule.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #41
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
Are you quite sure about this schedule? The 700X has 8k valve checks and engine oil/DCT oil filter changes. The 500s have shim under bucket valve adjustments - the 700 is simple locknut adjusters. I could be wrong but I think all the 670 cc motors have the same schedule.
i was guessing based on the 500 thread, but you're probably right. it's the same sched as the nc700x.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #42
kconville
Avant Guard Dog

Oddometer: 591
So uh, why is this bike being discussed in the scooter forum? What is at all scooter-ish about this thing? The automatic mode of the transmission is all I come up with, and that's a dual clutch geared affair, not a CVT.

Something this big, with 17" wheels, no step-through, no floor board, and chain drive is a motorcycle. I'm not even a fan of calling Burgmans and S-Wings and BMW bulge-mobiles scooters. They're too friggin' huge and not very well suited to an urban landscape, which I think is the domain of a scooter. But, at least they have the basic layout of a scooter, this Honda does not.

Maybe Auto Bike is a better term once a certain size and weight is reached.

Oh, and why has nobody commented on the puny fuel tank on this thing? For such a large bike, you're not going to go too far between gas stations.

BTW, having said all the above, I do think it's pretty cool.
'11 Vespa GTS300

kconville screwed with this post 08-12-2013 at 01:11 PM
kconville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #43
voyagerrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
When I first saw this bike online I was very excited because of the low seat height. I am vertically challenged being only 5'2" with a 28" inseam. The low seat height was what I was looking for most bikes like this are much higher and just not confidence inspiring for me. Don't get me wrong I have ridden tall bikes before for test rides, but I am not comfortable tippy toes when coming to a stop. Beside dropping your bike just because you miscalculated when stopping is no fun.
I am ready to move to something smaller and lighter that is not a cruiser. In other words doesn't have a feet forward riding position. Just like this bike does. The foot pegs are so far forward for me that my knees are straight which is not comfortable. Plus having my feet so far forward I am unable to standup on the pegs to stretch on long rides.
Needless to say I was disappointed in Honda for not putting the footpegs and controls closer. Everything else on the bike feels really good. The seat and it height. As well as handle bar placement.

Marty

TMRA #30043
CMA #63099
IBA #31625

!996 Kawasaki Voyager ZG1200
1978 Yamaha XS650SE
voyagerrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:32 PM   #44
kconville
Avant Guard Dog

Oddometer: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagerrider View Post
When I first saw this bike online I was very excited because of the low seat height. I am vertically challenged being only 5'2" with a 28" inseam. The low seat height was what I was looking for most bikes like this are much higher and just not confidence inspiring for me. Don't get me wrong I have ridden tall bikes before for test rides, but I am not comfortable tippy toes when coming to a stop. Beside dropping your bike just because you miscalculated when stopping is no fun.
I am ready to move to something smaller and lighter that is not a cruiser. In other words doesn't have a feet forward riding position. Just like this bike does. The foot pegs are so far forward for me that my knees are straight which is not comfortable. Plus having my feet so far forward I am unable to standup on the pegs to stretch on long rides.
Needless to say I was disappointed in Honda for not putting the footpegs and controls closer. Everything else on the bike feels really good. The seat and it height. As well as handle bar placement.

Marty
Good point on the footpeg position. Clearly a product and "penalty" of the low seat height. For being a junior Gold-Cruiser, the chain is now starting to seem rather queer. Why not a belt drive, if not shaft?
'11 Vespa GTS300

kconville screwed with this post 08-12-2013 at 02:11 PM
kconville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #45
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by kconville View Post
Good point on the footpeg position. For being a junior Gold-Cruiser, the chain is now starting to seem rather queer as well. Why not a belt drive, if not shaft?
With a 28" seat height I think most people would find a feet-under-seat peg position pretty cramped. It is unfortunate feet-forward is associated with cruisers but the ergos don't work any other way.

The 700s are built to a price point. Chains are cheap, shaft final drive runs up the cost. Belt drive costs more as well but I do wonder why Honda has not introduced any belt drive bikes before now. It couldn't add that much to the final cost over a chain.

The fuel capacity of the CTX is further reduced from the NC variant because of the low seat height. On the bright side the motor is proving to be very thrifty in the real world and the CTX700 should easily return 65 to 70 mpg in normal riding conditions. Ridden with an eye to mileage the motor gives 75 or more without any trouble and this is still keeping up with 55 to 65 mph traffic. Find a road you can ride a steady 45 to 50 mph and 85 is not out of the question. Tank range to dry in normal riding should be about 220 miles or 190 with a comfortable reserve. The tank capacity fits the fuel economy.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote