User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #1
McJamie OP
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,301
Cb900f

I have been assured by the friend that gave it to me, that the frame, engine, and several boxes of parts, when assembled correctly, will magically turn into an 82 CB900F.
One of my all-time favourites. I've had both the 900 and the 750F in the past, one was a bone stock museum piece, the other was an angry superbike sort of thing.
So I'm thinking about going a little different direction with this one. I can get some pretty chunky tires in the sizes I need, I have engine gaurds, MX bars, hangaurds from other things. The only tough thing might be some sort of skid plate. I could get some ammo cans for panniers. Would be a fairly cheap build I would think. I would not be concerned about making it pretty either.
Anyone else done anything silly like this with one of these? or even any other big, air-cooled, 4 cly stuff? I've seen a couple of the later 919 models done like this, but totally different animal.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
bigTITO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I've seen nothing like this! i have seen knobbies on an F, though. I have an '82 CB900F (for sale in flea market now) and I have never considered to do such a thing!
On a luggage note, it seems not much was ever made for these F models. But, the styling is very similar to the CBX which did have a luggage option. The side cases look like the gl500 cases, so I picked some up with the idea to fit them on the F for a "stock" type look. I have never done it.

Good luck and be sure to post pics of this franken-beast!
1974 RD350
. . .per usual, ought be changin' soon!
bigTITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:20 AM   #3
McJamie OP
STROMINATOR

The same bags that you could get for the CBX were also available for the 900, as well as the 750 Nighthawk, and both Sabre models. Very difficult to find these days because they were an optional item originally. You could also buy the CBX style fairing for those models too ( really rare)
I did however, recently pick up a set of ammo cans about the same size pretty much for free. They have lights and everything built into them. It's likely what I'll use. I just need to find a way to mount them.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,441
I'd go with the ammo cans !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:23 AM   #5
McJamie OP
STROMINATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortwestRider View Post
I'd go with the ammo cans !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I picked up a set from a guy a week ago ( for the cost of a small case of beer ). They're not quite as big as the ones you have, but same idea. I'm going to order my tires this week. I'm leaning towards the Heideneau K60, they seem to have them in the correct size. The 100/90-19 front is pretty simple to find, it's the 120/90 or 130/80 - 18 rear is the tougher one to find. I really want a tire that's going to work well on dirt roads, but still works on pavement.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:20 AM   #6
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie View Post
The 100/90-19 front is pretty simple to find, it's the 120/90 or 130/80 - 18 rear is the tougher one to find. I really want a tire that's going to work well on dirt roads, but still works on pavement.
What is your rear rim width? If it is 2.5", then a metzeler sahara enduro3 in 140/80-18 is the tyre you want. Fantastic on the road, very good off it.
The 130/80-18 is more dirt oriented with larger gaps between the knobbies.
However, I think you can find anakee2 type of tyres in 130-18 that are respectable on the dirt.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
Pugsley/Hobbfather
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Subscribed

Subscribed
Pugsley/Hobbfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #8
McJamie OP
STROMINATOR

I ordered my tires this morning. I'm going with the Hiedenau K60's. 100/90-19 & 120/80-18.The rear is a bit smaller than I wanted but it should still work. I won't see the tires for a few weeks, he's put them on his booking program, saves us both a little more money.
I picked up a few more things last week. A complete set of factory rear sets ( part of the sport package Honda sold as an accessory item for those bikes.), and a set of Hondaline bags. I have the ammo cans, but the Honda bags will bolt on with no effort at all. They wouldn't be as strong as the cans in case of a tipover obviously, but they are a bit bigger and have liners for them. I might be able to use the Honda brackets with the Ammo cans??? Lots of time to think about that.
I also got a backrest/carrier combo. The one where the backrest slides forward for the rider to use. It needs a bit of a clean-up, but the boss will be glad I got it.
Now I just need a bit of space in the garage, and we're away to the races.
This should be cool when it's done.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
Pugsley/Hobbfather
Gnarly Adventurer

CB's

I'm going to be very inspired to dig my 750f SuperSport out to make it part of the running stable again. Pictures will make it even worse for me...
Old 01-03-2013, 06:37 AM   #10
Bmblbee
Dust Monkey

Oddometer: 27
No pics yet?

It sounds like a monstrosity, and I wonder why you want rearsets on it, but three months on and no pics ...
Bmblbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #11
limeymike
Who Me?

Oddometer: 552
hey McJamie, we need McPics.
limeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #12
McJamie OP
STROMINATOR

Like most of us, I usually have more than one bike project on the go at one time. The only things I have done, is move the thing into the garage, which I couldn't do until I sold the Concours, and I've made a list of what I have to buy, what I can re-use, and what I can ignore.
Combine that with my workload at school leading up to the holidays, and I haven't done anything. The H1 and the A7 are much closer to being finished, and it bugs me to not have those done, but then start into something else. I'm not sure what you can tell from the pictures, but I have more than enough parts to get the project well underway. But workspace is also a bit of an issue.
I do have to finish something, it looks like my kid will be riding the Sherpa in the spring, which means I need something else roadworthy, and I won't be buying anything else, without selling something first.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #13
Pugsley/Hobbfather
Gnarly Adventurer

Shop space

At least you have plenty of room to move around...

Actually I'm always impressed by the organization that small spaces forces on people. I have a ridiculous amount of space, and it's a jumble of crap.

Kudos!
Old 01-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #14
McJamie OP
STROMINATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsley/Hobbfather View Post
At least you have plenty of room to move around...

Actually I'm always impressed by the organization that small spaces forces on people. I have a ridiculous amount of space, and it's a jumble of crap.

Kudos!
When it's completely tidy, I can, and have, squeezed 6 bikes in there. The whole floor is carpeted. Several reasons for that. I can walk around bare foot if I choose, it's much warmer on cold days, but mostly because I have no overhead room, there's no room for a lift, so I tend to sit on the floor while working on stuff.But I also enjoy the looks from my nosey neighbours when I go out to vacuum my garage.
When it's tidy, I have lots of work space, and other than welding equipment, have pretty much every tool I could ever need.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #15
Pugsley/Hobbfather
Gnarly Adventurer

Carpet...

I have several carpet scraps, but mostly the shop is concrete... Blacksmithing is the one art that can make it's own tools, so I have most, and can make the rest.

I have gone out and welded in slippers, smithed in sandals and done all manner of idiotic things because they were expedient.

Slippers and backing the bike out are a bad combo...

...BTW...