User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
Unsung OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Hardtail dirtbike?

I just wondered if anyone has seen or done a hardtail on a dirt bike or dual sport? I have a dirt bike with a bolt on subframe, and I just wondered the possibility of doing such. At one point I had my subframe off and realized it'd be neat to have a low slung seat under there. But I know the suspension travel would send the back tire into my ass. So maybe removing the suspension and putting a home made strut in it's place, or just removing the swing altogether and bolting a standard subframe there, but I would imagine it would be hard on the mounting points of the subframe. I'm just... daydreaming.
Unsung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,183
It'd be very hard on those mounting points, and everything else. It was all designed to be isolated (somewhat) from road shocks and it wouldn't enjoy it anymore than your ass will.

All I can remember is riding hardtail minibikes and how rough it was! Traction is hard to come by when the wheel isn't touching the ground, too.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #3
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
Hi there,
in the early 50's of the last century (what a proud and anchestry term!) trial's bikes were hardtails and their riders couldn't imagine to have a go with sprung rears. Factories had to 'convince' them by destroying the old hardtail-bikes (what a loss!!!) and force them onto the new sprung bikes! Looking back and at the loss of original bikes it's surely sad, looking at the development of dual-sporting motorcycles, it's surely been a big step forward! Me, I still drool for the lost bikes while I welcome the newest developments (which I cant't afford)!
What I want to tell you: it's possible and it's been done. I wouldn't dare it for today's dual-sporting, but for classic-trialing, it might be a different thing. What's the bike you own??? Might depend on this and on your intentions!
Kind regards, Bambi
Old 04-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
Unsung OP
Adventurer

I have an XR650R, it's dual sported. I don't PLAN to do this to my bike, but I was just curious about it. If I did it, I would make the bike a full street bike of course. The hard ride shouldn't be that much different than a standard hardtail motorcycle, say an XS650 bobber, except the bike would be much lighter. More weight on the real wheel with an added steel fender. I'm curious about customization of bikes like this. When I say making it a hardtail, I mean making it a bobber / chopper type bike with a low slung seat right in front of the rear tire. I wonder about the possibility of removing the rear suspension as I said, replacing it with a strut to lock it in, then welding pipe from the rear of the swingarm on both sides, up to the top rear of the frame. I think if you did this, it wouldn't put so much stress on the mounting point at the top of the frame. I'd lower the rear suspension quite a bit, and maybe have custom triple clamps made to set the stock front end rake to match it. Btw, this is all in theory, I've not made any plans to do this to my bike. I just spent 5 mins in windows paint doing this. Imagine doing this to an XR650R. A bike with over 50hp, that weighs under 300lbs. Add street tires, and springs under my mock seat there. Maybe 6inch higher handlebars that are sitting verticle. Yeah, I know it's hilarious.

Unsung screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 05:17 PM
Old 04-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer: 677
alternate theory

how about Triumph sprung hub setup and sprung seat ?.or Vincent solid triangle with small spring shock units under seat ?
Thanks,Ed
pennswoodsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,630
F that S.
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:03 AM   #7
ANKOF
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86

DO IT!!
ANKOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #8
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer: 677
clarity and brevity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon86 View Post
F that S.
Well that clears that up !
pennswoodsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
Unsung OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennswoodsed View Post
how about Triumph sprung hub setup and sprung seat ?.or Vincent solid triangle with small spring shock units under seat ?
Thanks,Ed
The sprung hub idea would be neat. It would be nice to have a little bit of suspension, and keep the knobbies and blast down well packed gravel roads on it, but the long snout and lower suspension may be dangerous for that. I used to ride an old Harley Ironhead, and I would haul some ass down gravel roads in the national forest where I live. I did it on street tires, it did okay in a straight line... except for the back end going everywhere.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #10
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,983
I have an idea,why don't you buy an old hardtail frame and put full dirtbike suspension on it c'MON are you really that bored . For what you say you want to do with it ,its already to go. Those guys who rode that shit years ago were probably sterile by the age of 30 HEY,on that note ,give it a shot,we might be onto something here.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:49 AM   #11
Unsung OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
I have an idea,why don't you buy an old hardtail frame and put full dirtbike suspension on it c'MON are you really that bored . For what you say you want to do with it ,its already to go. Those guys who rode that shit years ago were probably sterile by the age of 30 HEY,on that note ,give it a shot,we might be onto something here.
Like I said, I am not doing this to my bike. It was just idle thought.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:35 AM   #12
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,527
Neat thought. I built a hardtail xs650 and reall enjoyed that bike a lot. I took it on dirt roads and the like. Never any trails nor would I but it was fun blasting around fire roads that were beat out. Of course I also had a full suspension bike too. Give it a try cheap enough to do with a little fab skills.
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #13
juun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
i saw something recently on another forum where the guy is trying to chop/bob an 80's dual sport. i'll see if i can dig up the thread.
juun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #14
RSRennsport
Navigator

Oddometer: 64
Oh those poor bones....
Old 04-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #15
Fictitious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
I am just confused about why? It would look strange, and would ride worse. Am I missing something?