User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2013, 07:45 AM   #1
Navy Chief OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,351
Custom Filtering Ear Plugs

Has anybody tried any of the custom earplugs with the built in filters? These are what I have in mind:
http://www.earplugstore.com/inaltuacfihe.html

I am intrigued with the idea of being able to tune the noise attenuation that the plugs achieve, particularly because I am considering getting a bluetooth headset....

Thanks!
Navy Chief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #2
Navy Chief OP
Beastly Adventurer

Wow nobody???
Old 08-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #3
joylesshusband
n00b

Oddometer: 6
These seem as an expensive solution to a non-existing problem.

What part of the frequency spectrum do you need attenuated? Do you know what are the harmful frequencies of the wind noise (main noise contributor at speed) as delivered via your particular helmet? If you do, please share with the forum and we can start building a helmet-specific database for posterity.....

I use broad-spectrum high-quality foam earplugs, with NR of 33 dB, and 2 months ago installed Sena SMH5-FD in my helmet, speakers and all, and now I can listen to music, voice directions from the GPS, and participate in phone calls - with my earplugs on.

Besides, plugs molded to your ear need to be replaced in about 2 years tops, as ears age and chamge their shape, meaning that your custom plugs won't fit as precisely anymore. Do you want to keep spending high $$ every couple of years?
joylesshusband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by joylesshusband View Post

What part of the frequency spectrum do you need attenuated? Do you know what are the harmful frequencies of the wind noise (main noise contributor at speed) as delivered via your particular helmet? If you do, please share with the forum and we can start building a helmet-specific database for posterity.....

I use broad-spectrum high-quality foam earplugs, with NR of 33 dB, and 2 months ago installed Sena SMH5-FD in my helmet, speakers and all, and now I can listen to music, voice directions from the GPS, and participate in phone calls - with my earplugs on.

Besides, plugs molded to your ear need to be replaced in about 2 years tops, as ears age and chamge their shape, meaning that your custom plugs won't fit as precisely anymore. Do you want to keep spending high $$ every couple of years?
I beg to differ. I've had the same custom earplugs and ear buds for 7 years now. They still fit fine. The ear bud speakers don't work too well any more, but they still fit fine.

That said, I do use Hearos for long trips are they're softer and my ears are wusses.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer: 2,438
I bought a box of 500 soft orange earplugs several years ago for around $30 and haven't put a dent in the box so far.

I never ride with out them, it's annoying to do so now.

I never plan a ride, just the destination and that's always subject to change.
STUFF2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #6
Bleemus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856

1999 BMW Funduro
Bleemus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
Has anybody tried any of the custom earplugs with the built in filters? These are what I have in mind:
http://www.earplugstore.com/inaltuacfihe.html

I am intrigued with the idea of being able to tune the noise attenuation that the plugs achieve, particularly because I am considering getting a bluetooth headset....

Thanks!
I looked at those. I got the crescendo 25's. I have little ears, so they didn't fit as comfortable as I could bear on a bike for hours, but the sound quality was amazing while getting rid of virtually all wind noise. I'd actually go with the 20's since they were quieter than what was needed. Unless you're like me with oddly shaped ear canals that regular reusable plugs don't work, you might as well go with those. I'd at least try those first.

http://www.earplugstore.com/crescend...-earplugs.html
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:08 PM   #8
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 886
Haven't tried those but, contrary to some myopic opinions, noise levels vary greatly between bikes and helmets as does the sensitivity to it amongst riders.
They're a bit pricey but the science is sound. oops.
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:31 AM   #9
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74C5 View Post
Haven't tried those but, contrary to some myopic opinions, noise levels vary greatly between bikes and helmets as does the sensitivity to it amongst riders.
They're a bit pricey but the science is sound. oops.
By sensitivity, you're referring to prior hearing loss?? Personal tolerance doesn't relate in any way to hearing loss.....

They were impressive compared to foamies. Everything just sounds quieter, not muted.
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:09 AM   #10
t6pilot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
I have molded plugs, surefire sound plugs, wax plugs etc. after one hour inside my helmet they all got uncomfortable. Foam disposable plugs work all day, don't even know they are on. Like $10 for 200 at Walmart
t6pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:23 AM   #11
Navy Chief OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joylesshusband View Post

Well the product description page has a pretty clear table that shows what each filter reduces, and the reduction levels increase along with the frequencies. But they still provide an overall reduction in sound pressure across the frequency spectrum, thus preventing hearing loss.

I currently wear foam earplugs every ride, but I find the complete dampening of sounds at the extreme level they provide to be annoying for me (I am tired of telling people who want to talk at gas stops, sorry can't hear you I have earplugs in..). I have also looked into foamies that provide less reduction, but was looking for a more tailored solution.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:53 AM   #12
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 886
Quote:
Personal tolerance doesn't relate in any way to hearing loss.....
Just saying that with our without hearing loss, some people can pick out discretes in certain bandwidths better than others. I would argue that the converse is true.

The first sentence has nothing to do with your post. It is an existing problem....perhaps not for all.
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #13
Gompie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
I beg to differ. I've had the same custom earplugs and ear buds for 7 years now. They still fit fine. The ear bud speakers don't work too well any more, but they still fit fine.

That said, I do use Hearos for long trips are they're softer and my ears are wusses.
I'm a custom earbud user too. For the non-believers, walk into a hearing shop and ask if they will do just impressions. If they do, it will cost $20 or so. The impressions will give you a feel of what custom earbuds are like, the final product is even better.
If I didn't want hifi like background music, then one-day disposables would probably ok. But I suffer from mild tinnitus, and find quality background music overrides the tinnitus.
Gompie is offline   Reply With Quote