Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 07:47 AM   #16
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Not to thread-jack.... But how did the FZ1 do? I have recently bought a first generation FZ1 and am contemplating a track day.
Shouldn't be an issue, a guy I know hauls his father on his Bandit 1200, you see all sorts of bikes, if you can get it through tech and they don't feel its a danger to other riders, two wheels is good to go. I can think of a lot "worse" bikes I've seen on trackdays. People use SVs, in fact SVs are all over the damn place at most of them, an FZ1 wouldn't be that unusual.

Not to mention that I doubt you have to worry about what the bike can do, most people that have never been on a track find out they don't know much and they have a long way to go, as a chassis the FZ should be more than sufficient as long as the nut on the seat doesn't come loose.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:50 AM   #17
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Great, but if the organizers allow it and if you are in an advanced session the motto is "adapt and overcome".
Generally yes, I've also seen it with two different orgs where the SM guys were botted down to intermidiate from advanced just to keep the closing speeds down

Quote:
I spent lots more time on an R6, a Buell XB12 Firebolt, and even an FZ-1 than I did on a sumo, and at multiple tracks. I was out there with many sumos, and like you I adjusted without complaint. What's significantly more disconcerting to me are the idiots who talk their way into a class that is way over their heads on bikes that are way beyond their control and capabilities, and the track coaches allow them to stay there.
I agree, but it is what it is. My personal peeve is the no passing on the inside rule, I'd rather have people there, I can see them.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:16 AM   #18
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 6,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC View Post

You think you can ride? Ha. Not until you've done track days. And even after 4 years, there was ALWAYS folks faster.
Can't agree with this enough. Nobody is "fast" that doesn't spend time on a track. Nobody. Anyone who thinks "fast" can be achieved on the street speaks from ignorance.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:55 AM   #19
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 16,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Not to thread-jack.... But how did the FZ1 do? I have recently bought a first generation FZ1 and am contemplating a track day.
Great engine! I was typically hitting 155 + on the back straight at mid ohio, 135 or so on the front straight at beaver run in PA. Plenty of power everywhere. But the suspension? Not so great. What is good for the combination of street comfort and performance is too soft for the track. I ran with the rear shock cranked all the way up, and weighed about 180 in leathers. That wasn't enough to keep me from dragging all kinds of hard parts around the track. It is also heavy by sport bike standards, so it is taxing on a smaller person like myself to push that much weight around all day. Of course I was running the nuts off of that bike. If you don't ride as hard or are just starting out it will be more than sufficient.

I sold it and went to the R6 because I was at the stage where there just wasn't getting around spending serious money on suspension, and it made more sense to buy a purpose built bike for the track.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:22 AM   #20
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,730
Quote:
Great engine! I was typically hitting 155 + on the back straight at mid ohio, 135 or so on the front straight at beaver run in PA. Plenty of power everywhere. But the suspension? Not so great. What is good for the combination of street comfort and performance is too soft for the track. I ran with the rear shock cranked all the way up, and weighed about 180 in leathers. That wasn't enough to keep me from dragging all kinds of hard parts around the track. It is also heavy by sport bike standards, so it is taxing on a smaller person like myself to push that much weight around all day. Of course I was running the nuts off of that bike. If you don't ride as hard or are just starting out it will be more than sufficient.

I sold it and went to the R6 because I was at the stage where there just wasn't getting around spending serious money on suspension, and it made more sense to buy a purpose built bike for the track.
OK, good to know. This would be my first track day on a bike, and only second overall so suffice it to say I would be a novice. The FZ1 I bought has a rear shock from an R6 on it, so that should firm it up some (it is still a 500 lb bike though). The front is stock, and I am not going to make any changes until I know what I need. The previous owner set the settings for his weight, which is similar to mine (205 or so).

Fortunately (or perhaps unfortunately) all the "local" tracks are about 2-3 hours from me, so I doubt I go that often. I am ok with having a great commuting bike that gets used occasionally at the track. Good enough trade off for me.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #21
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitate View Post
WA few years ago my buddy who goes out to Willow Springs to do track days on his CBR, wanted to throw my Hawk in his pickup and take me with him. IIRC, it was about $300 for the day, and he said I would need new tires afterwards. His track bike was a dedicated machine, he also had another street bike. Since my bike was my only transportation at the time, I declined.
I've done a half dozen or so on my bike at willow springs (and streets of willow). they're usually around $100-$150. $300 is closer to the price of a school in socal (i've also done pridmore's school 2x, right at $300 at willow, and code's superbike school is around $400 at willow).

You'll only need new tires after if you're really fast, otherwise you'll be fine.
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:33 AM   #22
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,014
No bike experience, but a lot with cars. Feel free to skip ahead if cars bore you.
I started autocrossing then did auto hill climbs, and then went to the track. That one track day killed all the solo amateur motorsports. Not just the speed, but the cornering g's and the technicality of trying to achieve a stellar lap. It's extremely addictive. Track days led to competition license, and this year I got my instructor license to I can get others addicted. The cost seems daunting at first, but once you go the first time, those checks are much easier to write. Track days have made me a vastly better driver in both smoothness and safety. The skills transfer to the street as well. My only caution is, make sure anything you take to the track you can afford to ball up and walk away from. Even in a beginner/instructed environment, stuff happens. All it takes is for one car to dump fluid where you don't expect it and off to the tire wall you go. 99% of insurance companies won't cover you while you're out there, either.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:04 AM   #23
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavidv View Post
My only caution is, make sure anything you take to the track you can afford to ball up and walk away from. Even in a beginner/instructed environment, stuff happens. All it takes is for one car to dump fluid where you don't expect it and off to the tire wall you go. 99% of insurance companies won't cover you while you're out there, either.
^Sage advice here. I was chasing a buddy down the chute at Summit Point when his BMW blew an oil line, causing me to do a 180 in the middle of the track. At 80mph, I was just along for the ride. No damage to either car. We both laughed about it after considering what could have happened. I saw other stuff happen too which caused cars to be written off... Like a built RX7 FD that ended up on its roof, after spinning in its own coolant. It was on a lease, even though it had a roll cage.. These occurrences were rare, but shit can happen out there. Same goes for bikes. I shall never forget the R1 that spontaneously disassembled itself ahead of me while flying down the VIR south course straight.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:12 AM   #24
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitate View Post
Who actually does these? Car or bike? Where? How much?

I've done track schools and track days.

Haven't in awhile, but that has to do with simply not having the time in my schedule.

Barber's was a blast!
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:50 AM   #25
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavidv View Post
My only caution is, make sure anything you take to the track you can afford to ball up and walk away from. Even in a beginner/instructed environment, stuff happens. All it takes is for one car to dump fluid where you don't expect it and off to the tire wall you go. 99% of insurance companies won't cover you while you're out there, either.
Honestly, this is why I haven't done another track day. The days I can afford, loosing a car/bike in a mishap I can not. If I get a third car or second bike in the next couple of years I fully plan on doing more track days.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:54 AM   #26
SkunkWizard
recycle crime scene tape

Oddometer: 542
OP in CA

Chuckawalla
http://goracecvr.com/

WSIR
http://www.willowspringsraceway.com/

BRP
http://buttonwillowraceway.com/

I see supermoto's frequently on the BRP go kart track
SkunkWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:57 AM   #27
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post

I've done track schools and track days.

Haven't in awhile, but that has to do with simply not having the time in my schedule.

Barber's was a blast!
I really want to ride Barber, it wasn't there when I lived in Tuscaloosa. HOWEVER my little brother now lives in Hoover, I've just been to busy to plan a ....erm vacation 1000 miles from home.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:17 AM   #28
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,496
I've done quite a few, on the V-Strom, a Ducati 900SS, an SV650S, and most recently a Tiger 1050 ABS. Here's a session at NJMP.

Also experimented with a gyro-stabilized camera mount, here's a session with the SV at NHMS.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #29
32x20
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Can't agree with this enough. Nobody is "fast" that doesn't spend time on a track. Nobody. Anyone who thinks "fast" can be achieved on the street speaks from ignorance.

Barry
I have no track day riding experience, but I did help work on bikes for a guy that raced WERA. We went to a track day once for practice and it was comical how much faster the two racers practicing were than the track day only guys. Then, I watched my racer friend race at Road Atlanta against sponsored AMA riders and the speed differential was about the same in the opposite direction. Fast is always relative.
32x20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #30
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by bae984 View Post
I have no track day riding experience, but I did help work on bikes for a guy that raced WERA. We went to a track day once for practice and it was comical how much faster the two racers practicing were than the track day only guys. Then, I watched my racer friend race at Road Atlanta against sponsored AMA riders and the speed differential was about the same in the opposite direction. Fast is always relative.
On my Tiger at NJMP, I am exactly 30 seconds a lap slower than the SuperBike guys. Hit high 120's at the end of a straight where they are hitting 160-180.

I did mid 1:30's on my SV650 at NHMS. The local hotshoe SV racer does 1:17's on a bike that isn't a whole lot different.

And new track day riders usually lap the track right around two minutes.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: