User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
Horsehead OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Been to the Mountains on a Horse With No Name

Never been very good at naming vehicles, bikes, etc. Though I did have someone name the 1973 Toyota FJ40 "Sherman" because they said it was built like a sherman tank.

So here's my catalogue for ride reports which will take place around the piedmont of North Carolina and who knows where else.

My iron steed is a new to me 2001 Bandit. It just turned 9000 miles on the way home from picking her up.

I used to ride a 1997 Honda Shadow ACE, but couldn't be happier with the new machine. WAY more fun to ride.

Horsehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
Horsehead OP
Adventurer

Gettysburg

Last week I rode from Greensboro, NC to Lewisburg, PA for a conference. Took me about 8 hours to cover 431 miles with a couple of stops to stretch my legs. I didn't get any pictures from this leg of the journey, as the goal was to just cover as many miles as quickly as possible. Someone told me the best route was hwy 81. That someone was wrong! It was a nightmare of bumper to bumper traffic. But I survived and learned a lesson.

After the conference in Lewisburg ended I headed down to Gettysburg to spend a day touring the battlefields and surrounding areas.

There was a war there between these guys

and these guys

We can argue later about who was in the right.

While looking at my options for how to tour the battlefields, I came across the possibility of doing a guided horseback tour. In my opinion there is no other way to see the battlefields. It doesn't take much imagination to smell the powder and see the advancing soldiers when you're seeing the fields from their vantage point.

My trusty mount. Who knows, maybe he was a relative of ol' Traveler?

We rode through the original trails blazed by the farmers from more than 150 years ago. The guides told us the reason they constructed "snake fencing" as opposed to other types was generally because they were too poor to afford nails.

Many historic buildings are still on site, and a few still bear the scars from those fateful days in July so many years ago.

A confederate shell is still lodged in the brick work of this out building:

And this barn still bears the hole from a cannonball fired a century and a half ago

We rode through the very fields where Pickett and the other generals obeyed Lee's fateful orders to charge the union line straight up the center. Only a few confederate soldiers broke through the union line before being forced to retreat. Imagine marching straight into hell. They stepped out of this treeline after their artillery division pounded the unions with 150 cannon for rough 2 hours...

At night time, the soldiers would wash their wounds in this small creek. Eventually it flowed thick with their blood and earned the moniker "Bloody Run"

Here at Little Round Top, the confederates suffered another devastating loss. Who knows how many small variables led to the outcome of that fateful day, the costliest battle of the war... some 51,000 casualties.

Whatever your opinions are about the Civil War, it behooves us all to go to these historic sites and consider the courage, bravery, honor, and sacrifice of our ancestors who fought and died on these fields. They believed in something and were willing to fight, and if necessary die, for it. They were real men with hopes, dreams, and a bright future planned for themselves. And yet, they were willing to give it all up for the ideals they believed undergirded all of those hopes and dreams. They did so valiantly and we do well to remember their legacy.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
Horsehead OP
Adventurer

Skyline Drive and the BRP

Knowing I had a long day ahead of me, I got up early and left Gettysburg at 5:45 a.m. I took the highway to Front Royal, VA and the beginning of Skyline Drive at the entrance of the Shenandoah National Forest. I didn't stop to get any pictures of the trip there, as it was still mostly dark out, but I can honestly say that the countryside of northern Maryland was some of the most beautiful I have seen. Watching the moon set behind the mountains to my right and the sun rise over the fields to my left was an absolute delight. I will not soon forget it.

I arrived at the entrance to the park around 8:45 A.M. after a long breakfast at Cracker Barrel. I was pleasantly surprised when the park ranger told me there was no entry fee being charged today. Saved myself $10!

The scenery was breathtaking...

Passed through this neat tunnel.

More incredible views...

Saw this rig at a campground along the way:

See this thread for more info

There was no lack of amazing views from the overlooks...

Another panorama...

Finally I started to run low on fuel in both my stomach and my gas tank. I took the next exit I came to, which led me off the mountain top and down to Vesuvius, Va. If you're ever in Vesuvius, do yourself a favor and stop at the best restaurant in town and try their made fresh daily bbq.

How do I know it's the best food in town? Simple. It's the only food in town!

A couple more overlooks worth stopping for on the way home....

Got all turned around near Roanoke, but finally managed to figure out my way home.

I pulled in the garage and checked to see how far I'd rode from home to Pennsylvania and back.

If only I'd known... Maybe I would've gone 11 more miles! But then again, maybe not. By now it was almost 7:30 pm and I'd been riding since 5:45 am. It was a long day, but a good day. I hugged my wife and boys and we all got some good sleep that night (though I'm willing to bet mine was better than theirs!)

Looking forward to many more miles on the Bandit. She didn't hiccup once on the whole trip.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
Burnt Toast
Slingshot: engaged.

Oddometer: 214
Great write-up and pics. Take that one line in folks...51,000 casualties!!! In one battle!!! Seeing that battlefield has to raise the hair on your neck.

Good on ya Horsehead!
Burnt Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:00 AM   #5
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,592
Enjoyed your report. Makes me want to do the horseback tour of g-burg.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:34 AM   #6
Horsehead OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastroman View Post
Enjoyed your report. Makes me want to do the horseback tour of g-burg.
I would highly recommend it! As you ride around, you can't help but notice every other tourist is forced to view the battlefields from the road.

Most are either doing the auto tour where you buy a CD at the museum and listen to it as you drive yourself along a designated route.

Others pack themselves onto giant tour buses and a battlefield guide up front on the p.a. system tells them what they're seeing outside the bus.

Only the few who choose to mount up and do it the old fashioned way get to actually meander through the very fields where the battles were fought, where the cannons roared, where the fighting raged, and where men of the north and south alike bled and died. It was a sobering and humbling experience.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:51 AM   #7
KingJarhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,913
Sounds like you had a great trip and made the most of it.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:04 AM   #8
ricochetrider
a certain something

Oddometer: 1,795
Nice!

But yes, 81 can be a real nightmare- I've been up & down I-81 so many times, I couldn't begin to count. If I had to sum it up in a single word? Ugh.
Last November, I had a great ride from Roanoke, going north (to my home kinda near Gettysburg). Late Sunday & Early Monday. It was beautiful....and deserted.

Your pix recounted that sweet ride. Thanks for posting
ricochetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #9
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,806
Enjoyed your trip down history lane and congrats on your new ride
Old 04-30-2013, 06:02 PM   #10
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,792
Very cool ride report. I love it when people add bits of history about the places they ride. Thanks for taking the time to share.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #11
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,139
Thumb It feels good to be out of the rain

I've always wondered the why behind the snake fences. I like them. Seeing them for real didn't change that: I found them even more attractive. But why? Investigating resulted to something along the line: "Huh, it was like that before I came."

Nine years later you made my day. Many thanks.

Visiting Gettysburg was an impressive experience. The size of the terrain and its state of preservation. With a tiny bit of imagination one can step into time.

Good report. Make more rides.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #12
Horsehead OP
Adventurer

Suzuki Demo at Kevin Powell in Greensboro

I went to the Suzuki demo this afternoon to see if the V-Strom was light years better than my Bandit. I also wanted to try out a dual sport, but they didn't have any.

Lots of bikes to try, just sign on the dotted line!

Took the Strom out first.

Honestly, I like my Bandit more. The Strom was almost too upright, and although it would still scoot along pretty good, the engine just felt kind of, we'll, boring... Several times I dropped back from the group and would really try to hammer it and it would go, but it just didn't have any oomph. Even my old Shadow had more seat of the pants fun factor. Now it was very comfortable, and I'm sure it'd be great for touring, but it just wasn't at all what I'd expected. That made me really happy, as I almost didn't even want to go to the demo for fear that I would fall out of love with my newly acquired bike. Definitely not the case.

Next up was the Hayabusa 1300

Believe it or not, right before the lunch break, one of the Suzuki employees dropped it trying to do a u-turn in the parking lot! He scratched it up pretty badly and even busted the clutch lever and chewed up the clutch cover plate and exhaust. The main guy in charge of the demo truck was pretty livid. The bike isn't even a week old!

Thoughts on the GSX-R1300: incredibly powerful but also a very very smooth delivery of that power. It wasn't hard to ride at all, and really wasn't that uncomfortable, though I wouldn't want to spend all day on one.

Next was the GSX-R750

It was a lot smaller and thus more nimble than the 'busa. It also seemed a lot less forgiving, more of a raw power. The exhaust note and engine noise made for a rather obnoxious growl (at least to me). Again, the riding position was not intended for comfort, and it wasn't comfortable! But man was it fun.

I had no interest in trying one of the many cruisers, so after the GSXR I went home. The ride back was fantastic as I thought about how the Bandit really is the best compromise between the three bikes I rode. It's not as comfortable as the Strom, but much more than the GSXRs. It doesn't want to scream like the sport bikes seem to urge you on to do all the time, but it doesn't want to just putter along like the Strom. The Bandit 1200 has gobs of power that make the Strom feel anemic and a riding position that makes he GSXRs feel unnecessary. Suffice it to say, I'm a happy camper. Very glad I took the chance to go try out some bikes I probably otherwise never would've tried.

Horsehead screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 02:46 PM
Old 05-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #13
ShiftHead
the f is silent.

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsehead View Post
Whatever your opinions are about the Civil War, it behooves us all to go to these historic sites and consider the courage, bravery, honor, and sacrifice of our ancestors who fought and died on these fields. They believed in something and were willing to fight, and if necessary die, for it. They were real men with hopes, dreams, and a bright future planned for themselves. And yet, they were willing to give it all up for the ideals they believed undergirded all of those hopes and dreams. They did so valiantly and we do well to remember their legacy.
Well said.
- Bigzoner #052 English Chapter "Keep Brotherhood Till Die!" - Nate & Dot Fan club
- The "Got Screwed" Newb
ShiftHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:02 PM   #14
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,081
Great pics
Old 05-13-2013, 07:05 AM   #15
Dark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 943
Nice report, Gettysburg just became one of my "must see" places this summer.
Your report & being in the middle of the book "The Killer Angels" did it. I highly recommend the book if you haven't read it.
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote