User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
Sharps-Nut OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Wee-Strom or klr for wife

I currently own a klr 250 its my old back of the rv bike now the wifes trainer model. I also own a klr 650 and a recent purchase a wee strom. Should I lower the klr or the wee strom for the wife. I first thought the the wee but am having second thoughts.
The wee is heavy feeling in the steering at low speeds. The klr not so. The wee has mucho more power to get away from her the klr not. If I lower the wee it will have major clearance issues, the klr not so much. The bikes will be shared as I ride both and at this point she does not see herself riding alot.
She is 5-6 145lbs around a 28 to 29 inseam. She has never ridden other than behind me so both are something in the future after the trainer.
Tonight she scared me. She took the wee around the yard has she had before but we had mucho rain on sat and she about dumped it. She went around a corner real slow, the tire sunk started around on her, in doing so it pulled the bars away from her and to the right, this also gassed gassed it in one smooth move. The mud roosted and it looked like it was going to to end badly. She strong armed it back and in doing so got off the gas, saved it but I tell you the ass end was hung way out there, I saw no way for it to end well.
Long post but that is what got me to thinking the klr might be the bike to lower. Any insight, female or shorter statured male insight truly appreciated.
Sharps-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
doc4216
Chronic High Fiver

Oddometer: 363
I am an inch taller than her with a little more weight. The wee was very top heavy for me but I didn't lower mine either. If you lower it she should be fine with it though.

Having owned a wee I would honestly say to lower the KLR just due to the slow speed factor. Any bike is okay fast and going straight but how will she do at slow speed moves is what you need to worry about, just MHO.

Good luck.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,320
klr better choice (lowered) of the two, still a handful for some gals.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:34 AM   #4
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,014
I'd go with the KLR. Having owned both as you do, I think the KLR is much more forgiving and easier to handle even as heavy as it is. Plus, KLR's are used to being dropped.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:00 AM   #5
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavidv View Post
Plus, KLR's are used to being dropped.

Like an ugly cheerleader, brother, like an ugly cheerleader......

Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:30 AM   #6
surlywill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavidv View Post
I'd go with the KLR. Having owned both as you do, I think the KLR is much more forgiving and easier to handle even as heavy as it is. Plus, KLR's are used to being dropped.
+1 Plus the KLR is easy and cheap to fix. Add crash bars and your set. Usualy just pick it up and keep riding. KLRs look better with scratches and dings .............
Old 04-30-2013, 06:29 AM   #7
Martin_404
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
If you are suggesting a trade, then a picture wouild be nice.
Martin_404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #8
Sharps-Nut OP
Adventurer

Huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_404 View Post
If you are suggesting a trade, then a picture wouild be nice.
I am lost. No trade will be keeping all three bikes just interested in which bike might be the better for lowering and making more lady friendly.

Thanks for the replies. Last evening after she cleaned the crap off the seat from the near get off we went for a 1/2 mile pavement then turned off on rock and rode a couple miles down and came home. She is still in the way early learning stages and I got to replace the battery on the klr 250 and let her get her skills set up. Looks like all of you agree the klr 650 is the one to lower if she graduates. Not what I first had figured but its already wearing crash bars, even though in 8700 miles I have not tested them, other than knocking it over in the neighbors drive way like a dumb xxx

Time and training will be the key, and lowering links will be a cheap confidence booster. SN
Old 05-01-2013, 12:27 AM   #9
Martin_404
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Sorry, I thought you wanted to trade a Wee-strom or KLR for your wife.
Martin_404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:39 AM   #10
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,684
My GF rides a lowered DL650AK7... took a bit of time, and a few harmless spills for her to get used to the height & weight, but nowadays shes doing fine. She did have about 5 years of prior experience on different bikes, that probably helps.

But if I had a choice, then I would probably lower a KLR rather than a DL650. Unless its mostly highway/street riding that your wife plans to do with the bike, in which case the DL650 engine & handling is just so much better. (plus in our case, I also like the fact that she rides a bike with ABS).
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #11
Sharps-Nut OP
Adventurer

Thanks

Thats alright on the misunderstanding martin, sometimes I don't word stuff real well.

Thanks on the on the topic everyone. I will wait and see how she progresses on the 250 trainer before I lower either bike. Would be easier if I were a little shorter, then the lowing it would not be a problem.. Adjusting the strom's ride height voa the little black know wirks well for now but not sure how good it is on the bike to be using it to change seat height frequently. I mudded the strom out at the farm checking hayfields and it did better than I expected. I also did gravel very well. So far I am a fan, especially the power, vs the klr. SN
Old 05-01-2013, 11:57 PM   #12
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,641
The klr is a slightly lighter bike.
But really it's up to her let her make the choice of what's the right bike for her.

My wife rode a vstrom and now she's riding a hypermotard. She didn't lower either bike.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:52 AM   #13
grumpybear
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
My daughter is about the same size as your wife but a little lighter. She prefers the KLR over the Vstrom due to the weight. Neither bike is lowered and she has no trouble sitting or riding either one. For highway riding, she hates the KLR, likes the wee.
grumpybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #14
bleedgrn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Regarding the V-strom, lowering the bike could not be easier, and is inexpensive. I have a 29 inch inseam and lowered mine 3/4 inch rear AND front. Cut the tabs in half on the seat and your golden. I have ridden both the KLR and Vstrom, the weight difference is negligible, once you add farkle weight. The power difference is substantial. Power helps get you out of trouble. The Vstrom is also much much smoother to ride, as you probably know. Really a personal decision. Also I found the Vstrom to be more smooth and feels lower geared in first than the KLR so more stable when maneuvering slowly. At least it feels that way to me. Sounds like you have saddle time on both so you will be her biggest help.

L2 Glee - Birthday 17 Jan 13

Farkeling in progress.
bleedgrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #15
happyclam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
klr, much more forgiving...for any rider.
happyclam is offline   Reply With Quote