Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
sonnyb OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
from Charlotte NC to Glacier NP and B.C.

Hey guys,
I'm planning a trip in June from Charlotte NC to Glacier NP,then B.C., Washington,California and then back home.I'll be riding concours,so no dirt roads.
I appreciate any suggestions and advice where to go and where to stay,camping and motels,especially in Canada.I have 16-14 days for it.
thanks
Sonny
sonnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #2
WAH III
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
That sounds like a great trip. Last year we went to the Black Hills of SD, Chief Joseph, the Beartooth, Yellowstone, and the Tetons. I think you couldn't go wrong adding any of these to your route. I have been told that hwy. 12 in Idaho is an outstanding motorcycle road also.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,859
As WAH III suggested, Chief Joseph Hwy, Yellowstone, Beartooth Pass - all good roads to visit en route to Glacier. Since you would be going that way anyhow, I recommend setting your sights on the Black Hills first, then over the Big Horn Mts on US14 and down through Shell Canyon. Then Cody, Chief Joseph, a side trip to Yellowstone (if you don't mind crowds), back east to go over Beartooth, then Glacier and Waterton. As long as you're in the neighborhood, hit Banff and Jasper on the Icefields Parkway, then back down on BC5. After that you just about can't go wrong regardless what route you pick.

If you happen to go down through Eastern Washingon, i.e. Spokane, you would probably enjoy continuing on down to Clarkston, WA to get on 129 south out of Asotin. Your Connie will love that road.

Or... if you choose to go south across Oregon on US395 into Northern California, you would probably enjoy that, too, as it's quite different from what you have around home.

There are enough good, interesting roads all through the Northwest that you could keep riding for two or three months without backtracking or doing the same stretch of highway twice.

Have fun. I'll be in Harrisburg, NC on Memorial Day, then on down to Key West before heading back north, maybe to Prudhoe Bay - also on a Concours. They do better on dirt than you might think.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
sonnyb OP
Adventurer

thanks guys,
Alcan,I'll take your word for connie and dirt,I'm not as good as you are

sonnyb screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 05:39 PM
Old 05-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,225
Call ahead to Glacier National Park before you depart. There are a lot of years that the main road (Going to the Sun) is not cleared until mid-June. Worth the nickel to call and find out if you're going to be able to ride through the park.

Otherwise, the other posters have already hit the places you should try to see all great ideas!

Have a great trip!
Old 05-09-2013, 03:39 AM   #6
Waterboiler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Suggestions for Canada:

After Going to the Sun continue north thru Pincher Creek then west on Hwy 3 into the interior of BC. I would suggest Cranbrook for the night - lots of services and not too far for the day to give you time to enjoy glacier.

After Cranbrook head for Banff thru Kimberly. You can either stay near Banff or continue up to Japer for a longer day. How ever you break it up Banff-Jasper ( icefields parkway ) not to be missed.

Not sure how much time you want to spend in BC / how deep into the interior you want to go but just about all the roads west and north of Cranbrook are great.
Consider:

3A Creston north to Nelson - take the ferry it is free
Kaslo - New Denver to Castlegar
Vernon-Needles via hwy 6
Rock Creek - Kelowna via Hwy 33

These are probably the best bike roads in the area - some may say in all of Canada.
Waterboiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
sonnyb OP
Adventurer

thanks waterboiler,what motels/campgr. would you stay for the night?