Old 05-05-2013, 05:21 AM   #61
nbsdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by leakypetcock View Post
FYI
Ethanol raises octane

it does not in the real world, only in textbook situations (on paper and before moisture absorbtion)
the attraction of moisture by the ethanol actually lowers the octane rating in real world usage (in your tank)

nbsdave screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 05:27 AM
nbsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:08 AM   #62
BikeMan OP
smoke, drink, screw, ride

Oddometer: 245
its a new record

yesterday on a ride to WV i got a all time high of 54.3 mpg . and on the way home i got 54.0 mpg. so i know it wasnt a math error. using regular automotive grade fuel (93 octane) with sta-bil marine formula ethanol treatment. see fuelly link for more info..
Old 05-05-2013, 06:19 AM   #63
kamikazekyle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
I use the lowest I can get away with. Regular (87) around here is often 20 cents less than mid (89) and 50-80 cents less than premium (93). Sea level and mandated 10% ethanol in all fuel stations in the region by law. The only place that did sell ethanol free was at a small air port which banned vehicles from going near the pumps after people got wind of it.

The Setaro is specced for 87 so I use that. My Ninja calls for 90+ yet is only 11.2:1 compression or some such. I usually run 89 or 87. Damned if I can tell if the engine knocks since the Ninja's engine at idle sounds like a tractor thanks to the autotensioner for the timing chain. Though sometimes on 87 it seems to loose some umph or throttle response -- might just be in my head.

As for the Guzzi V7 Stone, it calls for 91+. It's air cooled and I think 9.5:1 or 10.5:1 compression, which I hear is high for a purely air cooled motor. I ran 89 during the winter and didn't run into any problems; have yet to run it during the warmer months, though.

Oh, and for storage I use either Seafoam or StarTron. I've had both keep gas in the shed for a year and my carbed mower and pressure washer hum along just as good as fresh gas. This includes storing both with fuel in the tanks and lines over the winter. Been doing this for years without refurbing or cleaning the carbs and no issues yet. I stopped using Stabil, though. That stuff made everything run rough and killed gas mileage, even when put and used directly in a vehicle.
kamikazekyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:34 AM   #64
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazekyle View Post

Oh, and for storage I use either Seafoam or StarTron. I've had both keep gas in the shed for a year and my carbed mower and pressure washer hum along just as good as fresh gas. This includes storing both with fuel in the tanks and lines over the winter. Been doing this for years without refurbing or cleaning the carbs and no issues yet. I stopped using Stabil, though. That stuff made everything run rough and killed gas mileage, even when put and used directly in a vehicle.
Your experience is similar to mine. I used Stabil for a long time. Results were alwyas so-so...the bikes would start hard and run rough after sitting for a long time, even if I had drained the carbs, but an "Italian Tune Up" would cure it after a while.

Then on a whim I started using Sea Foam as a stabilizer. The first bike sat four months with it, and drained carbs. Started up and ran like the day I put it away. Also, adding sea foam to the fuel of a bike that is running a bit rough otherwise seems to help it out pretty quickly. I'm a believer and have used the stuff since.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:20 PM   #65
NONo443
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
87 or 89, I don't really feel a difference between the both of them.
NONo443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:08 AM   #66
BikeMan OP
smoke, drink, screw, ride

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by NONo443 View Post
87 or 89, I don't really feel a difference between the both of them.
check your mpg over 3 tanks of each octane 87 89 93. which every one gives you the best mpg is the best fuel for your bike. that what i did. i found my bike gets a couple more mpg's with the 93 octane vs 87.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:21 AM   #67
davidbeinct
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
http://rennsportsystems.com/letstalk...twin-ignition/

Either way he is right. I remember flashing chips for camaros and such in high school, you started 15* before TDC with the ignition and bumped it up by degree, the couple dual plug bikes I've plutzed with (a Ducati and a Harley) were both running like 3* degrees before TDC on timing at full tilt.
I was reading this, and said to myself "BS, Camaros didn't have chips in high school," then I realized, "shit, I'm old."

That's my only contribution to this discussion.

David B.
davidbeinct is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:22 AM   #68
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,257
You can check three tanks with the same octane and get three different MPGs. Unless you can duplicate the same route, MPH, same starts and stops, the same temperature, humidity, it will always vary.

There is no way higher octane will give you more miles per gallon unless you are tuned for it. 87 and 93 have the same energy or BTUs.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #69
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
I believe he's referencing the spark advance, not time spent burning.
Spark advance directly correlates with the time of the burn. This is one ideally the entire burn would happen at TDC. You can't make an ICE run at TDC you would need an instantaneous ignition.

You burn faster as both pressure increases and mixture decreases (toward lean), this is why bikes have such crazy static CRs and relatively short advances and they go from relatively mild with a long stroke twin to flat out insane look at the Pangiale's engine specs, they are impressively race bred.

Burn to soon and you knock, burn to late and the exhaust valves open with an active flamefront.

Here is a quick and dirty without trying to read someone's Master's thesis. (MEs, gearheads with math skills) http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/resources/myths.php
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:51 AM   #70
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,299
Ethanol is pure political BULL SHIT! It reduces mpg by 10%.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #71
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,257
So E10 is around 10 % of the gas volume and has approximately 2/3s of the energy of pure gas so the decrease of E10 would be between 3 and 4%.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #72
leakypetcock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
I stopped for gas the other day and found this:

Y'all can fill up with some of each, or make your own custom blend.
Anybody need 88.33 octane?

Most likely two tanks in the ground, low octane and high octane. Blend a percentage of each to tailor the octane rating of each.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #73
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
I was reading this, and said to myself "BS, Camaros didn't have chips in high school," then I realized, "shit, I'm old."

That's my only contribution to this discussion.

David B.

The chips actually went away my Sophomore year FU OBDII
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #74
leakypetcock
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4d View Post
E10 rated at 91 "motor' octane is still 91 octane. the amount of ethanol does not matter.
Most refineries don't blend 91 octane. They blend a 90 octane super-subgrade. They then blend in up to 10% ethanol to make the 91 octane. Subgrade gasoline is blended at 84 octane to be bumped to 87 with ethanol. "Motor" octane on a 91 "road" octane is actually somewhere around 86. You average that with the "research" octane (95ish) to get a mid 90, then add ethanol to get your 91. If you can find a 91 octane "motor" you're a lucky guy. That's going to be a 94 or better, add in some ethanol and you have something only a high compression race engine can make use of.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #75
leakypetcock
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbsdave View Post
it does not in the real world, only in textbook situations (on paper and before moisture absorbtion)
the attraction of moisture by the ethanol actually lowers the octane rating in real world usage (in your tank)
This is correct, but probably not why you think so. If if ethanol, (alcohol) absorbs water (it does) then it will drop out into an aquaeous layer in the bottom of the tank; then the original gasoline will be ethanol deficient and lower octane.