Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #121
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
Yeah why has the price spread grown so much? Used to be 10-15 cents between regular and premium. I've seen as high as a 60 cent spread.
Greed.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #122
kamikazekyle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
Yeah why has the price spread grown so much? Used to be 10-15 cents between regular and premium. I've seen as high as a 60 cent spread.
It's reguarly 40-60 cents difference around here between 87 and 93. I think one Shell station had nearly an 80 cent difference a while back. The huge difference is one of the things that annoys me the most about gas prices. I can see all prices fluctuating within reason together, but having such a huge difference due to actual costs is a bit mind boggling.

I conspire to think that it's something of a marketing price war between stations and emphasis on cash discounts. I've noticed an uptick in stations advertising their cash price, which helps save them CC processing fees and doubles to get you into the store for upsells on convience items. Said items have larger margins than gas for the station. And by advertising their cash discount price they come to the front on aggregating websites like GasBuddy. Now all this is just total supposition and supported by no hard evidence, but hey, conspiracy theories are fun! The only other reason I gather is some particular portion of the refined pertrollium that is present in higher concentrations within higher octanes has risen in price (or in another way, regular mixes are cheaper to make nowadays than mid/premiums).

That's actually another annoyance of mine. I'll often use GasBuddy or the like on my phone to see what stations have the best prices near me when traveling, but I get there and it's a cash discount price. So then -- assuming I even have cash on me -- have to partially degear, wait in line to prepay (as the majority of stations require cash customers to prepay), fill up, then wait in line again to get my change.
kamikazekyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #123
NONo443
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeMan View Post
I think almost everyone in this thread knows basic math; and basic reasoning. Is there something special that I was supposed to grasp from that link?
NONo443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:56 AM   #124
BikeMan OP
smoke, drink, screw, ride

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by NONo443 View Post
Is there something special that I was supposed to grasp from that link?
its a biker thing. you wouldnt understand.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #125
Fatrat21
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I apologize if Iíve missed this elsewhere on the forum. Typically in my dirt bikes I would run 91. But I just purchased a new Triumph Tiger Explorer and according to its manual 87 or better is the recommendation. Iím not looking for any more performance out of this bike, it has plenty of that already. However I would like to get as many trouble free miles on it as possible and keep the engine in top shape. Right now Iím running 89 but does anyone know if it would be best to run 91 in the Triumph 1215 engine or am I better off sticking with 89?

Thank you

Fatrat21
Fatrat21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #126
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatrat21 View Post
I apologize if Iíve missed this elsewhere on the forum. Typically in my dirt bikes I would run 91. But I just purchased a new Triumph Tiger Explorer and according to its manual 87 or better is the recommendation. Iím not looking for any more performance out of this bike, it has plenty of that already. However I would like to get as many trouble free miles on it as possible and keep the engine in top shape. Right now Iím running 89 but does anyone know if it would be best to run 91 in the Triumph 1215 engine or am I better off sticking with 89?

Thank you

Fatrat21
If it calls for 87 , that's fine. I usually try to use brand name gas with detergents. It's cheaper in the long run.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:36 AM   #127
BikeMan OP
smoke, drink, screw, ride

Oddometer: 246
87 vs 93 mpg compar-o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatrat21 View Post
according to its manual 87 or better... ... I’m running 89 ... ...
87 or better means, "regular automotive grade fuel". IOW's 87,89, 91-94 octane is ok. the best way to figure out which fuel is best for your bike is to do a octane mpg compar-o. that what i did. (87 vs 93) i found that i get a average of 3 more mpg using regular automotive grade fuel with the highest AKI rating. IOW's, which ever octane gives you the best average mpg, is the best fuel for your bike. no b.s..
Old 06-01-2013, 05:26 AM   #128
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,908
Just 'cause I can I'm going to fill the Tuono with 110 Sunoco at Buckeystown Market. I'll let ya know. If I've the time and it's not too damn hot a dyno pull or three might happen.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #129
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,908
Nevermind they were out.