Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 10:42 PM   #16
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

Power service is your friend. Stanadyne is better, but more expensive and harder to find. PM Triple. He'll sell you a case. Did for me!
Stanadyne is the way to go.

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:35 AM   #17
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,569
Make sure you grab the diesel handle at the pump...

Sometimes they're yellow, or green, or black, or the same color as the gasoline handle.

I think the old Caterpillar tank caps used to say 'buy clean fuel, keep it clean'
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:00 AM   #18
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidoxidationman View Post

Bosch.
Autolites

why are we talking about sparkplugs in diesel thread?
i use diesel kleen for fuel additive.. and in my ol ford i use Motorcraft glowplugs, and nothing else..
Old 05-01-2013, 06:46 AM   #19
ysr612
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
Use only #1 diesel, the #2 diesel that most stations sell is junky thicker diesel that will ruin your truck. If you can't find #1 diesel near you, just run premium gasoline with power service additive every tank.

Or something like that.

when my wifes truck was new and only had a 40k miles on it she put ~ 17 gals of regular gas in it and drove it like that. that was about 400k miles ago and we can't really tell much differnce. She got pretty near the same mpg on that tank as well.

we know of few people with over 400k on thier trucks so we can't really compare.

#1 diesel is for when temps will go below about 35F as #2 will gel at about 25F other than that it has no advantage. We have never used any of the additives in our truck and between the 2 we have over 750k miles with only a clutch or 2 and other minor repairs.

As a disclaimer she had 425k on a VW vanagon waterboxer. She did have that motor rebuilt a few times.

edit as someone else said buy clean fuel and keep it clean; your fuel filter is more important then your oil filter if you are not pulling over 5 tons with the truck.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:23 AM   #20
Ken OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 57,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
Use only #1 diesel, the #2 diesel that most stations sell is junky thicker diesel that will ruin your truck. If you can't find #1 diesel near you, just run premium gasoline with power service additive every tank.

Or something like that.

The modern liberal is the stupidest human being to have ever lived!
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:33 AM   #21
Ken OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr612 View Post

edit as someone else said buy clean fuel and keep it clean; your fuel filter is more important then your oil filter if you are not pulling over 5 tons with the truck.
How do you know where to buy "clean fuel" ? The cheapest place around me for Diesel is a RaceTrack and it's at $3.74 a gallon. How do I know if it's "clean"? I'll replace the fuel filter at every scheduled service but should I replace it more often?

Old 05-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #22
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Look where big rigs buy their fuel from. Diesel does not like to sit. High moving areas generally mean diesel supply is always fresh.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #23
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,586
All of a sudden a modern diesel pickup truck is a high strung exotic that requires careful fuel selection? It needs special additives because modern diesels aren't designed for the available fuel?

Ken, you probably bought far too much truck for your purposes. A modern 1/2 or light duty 3/4 ton with a 6.0 would probably work as well and cost about $15k less.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:58 AM   #24
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
All of a sudden a modern diesel pickup truck is a high strung exotic that requires careful fuel selection? It needs special additives because modern diesels aren't designed for the available fuel?

Ken, you probably bought far too much truck for your purposes. A modern 1/2 or light duty 3/4 ton with a 6.0 would probably work as well and cost about $15k less.
hihihi... funny you say that.. i came up with the same conclusion..

FORD F250 with 6.0 PS DIESEL is actually a good truck. And you can find one for $11k with crew cab, that has under 90k miles..... Shit, I'd even take the 6.4 at this point.

I am looking to buy a new truck -- need space -- crew cab is the way to go. I am looking for circa 200 7.3 PS or the 6.0PS.. hoping to spend under $10k with my trade.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #25
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post

Sometimes they're yellow, or green, or black, or the same color as the gasoline handle.
All the handles at BP are green!!!!
This one has fucked up a few trucks. DAMHIK.....
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:43 AM   #26
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
The reason for silver and white bottles on DK is one is for winter, one is for summer use. I would THINK the white one is for winter!
Old 05-01-2013, 08:51 AM   #27
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
Buying diesel fuel is the same as gas, just buy from decent stations that are busy so the fuel isn't sitting long. I'd change both fuel filters every oil change and if you think there is fuel issues then change them soon, but that shouldn't happen.

The big thing is fuel pressures are so much higher and tolerances tighter that quality fuel is paramount, also won't plug up your dpf fast.

PS....don't piss in the urea tank it won't work.
1greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:00 AM   #28
ysr612
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post

I think the old Caterpillar tank caps used to say 'buy clean fuel, keep it clean'
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
Look where big rigs buy their fuel from. Diesel does not like to sit. High moving areas generally mean diesel supply is always fresh.
more fuel goes through the big underground tanks the better, of course they have to keep it dry by pumping the water that settles in the bottom out.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #29
ysr612
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
How do you know where to buy "clean fuel" ? The cheapest place around me for Diesel is a RaceTrack and it's at $3.74 a gallon. How do I know if it's "clean"? I'll replace the fuel filter at every scheduled service but should I replace it more often?
follow the schedule has always been good for us of course ours are 1991 f350 navstar and 2000 f250 psd by navstar.

Oh and don't mess with the computer.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #30
Ken OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
I plan on towing 9,000lbs worth of large windage boat on long distances. I think what I bought is perfect.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: