User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 599
Dumbarse can't even use google maps

yep that's me. I am trying to plan a trip out and for the life of me I can't figure out how to do this properly in google maps. You would think the answer can be googled... ha!

Anyways please point me in the right direction here. I want to plan a trip. I am not even very concerned with the directions, I am only really interested in the distances and organizing my stops. I need to be able to make it like this:

Day 1
Stop A
Stop B
Stop C
Stop D

I want to see the distances between every single stop and also total distance from A to D. The only thing right now I can do is have it tell me total distance. Also I want to be able to keep stringing this together.. IE:

Day 1
A
B
C
D

Day 2
E
F
G

But to be able to see each days total distance, not simply the distance of the entire trip. Since this will be a longer trip I don't want to have to go create a new route from scratch for every single day, and have some 90 days of routes showing. I want 1 route from start to finish that will show the seperate days.

Does this make any sense? I am so confused... technology... ack.
pne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
HotChilliColdBeer
Human Swizzle Stick

Oddometer: 285
I'll try

Let's suggest you're in Edmonton, and want to get to Seattle.

Start out at Google maps, and find Seattle. Hit the 'Get Directions' button(top left, below the Google logo) and you'll have the option to put in your starting point, A - Edmonton, with B being your endpoint - Seattle.
Just below the B -Seattle is 'Add Destination', click that and C will show up. You can grab and drag the A, B or C, to wherever in the order you like it. Add as many destinations as you like, you'll end up with something like this.

Now on the left you can scroll through the turn by turn, with time/distance to each and every one of your destinations, as well as total time/distance.

Helping?

Charlie
HotChilliColdBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #3
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,541
Also, up to the right of the Get Direction button is a smaller button that looks like a couple chain links together. (It's right next to the printer button.) Click on that and you will get two boxes. The top one will be the full link for your route. It will look like this:

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Se...mra=ls&t=m&z=6

You can bookmark this link and always come back to it.

You should also be able to print out your directions, with the mileage.

Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected expected?
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #4
TassieMark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
I just love the way we are all different. PNE likes to plan a trip down to the last detail, knows where he is going to be every day, and fair enough.
Me, I'm the exact opposite, I just have a loose idea of where I'm going and things to see. This could explain why I end up in the shit so much.
Viva la difference, and long may it last.
Cheers,
Mark.
TassieMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:55 PM   #5
wingnut11
generally strange

Oddometer: 667
Read this.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=867379

Read this thread, hope it helps you.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:34 AM   #6
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
And I thought I was the only one.....???

I don't feel so bad any more!
Old 05-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #7
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TassieMark View Post
I just love the way we are all different. PNE likes to plan a trip down to the last detail, knows where he is going to be every day, and fair enough.
Me, I'm the exact opposite, I just have a loose idea of where I'm going and things to see. This could explain why I end up in the shit so much.
Cheers,
Mark.
I'm a detail guy, also. I spend all winter dreaming of and planning my trips. When the day comes to leave, I have the route memorized highways, roads, destinations, hotels, campsites, restaurants, everything.

With limited resources and limited time, I try to jam as much as I can see into every trip.

But someday I hope to reach the point where I can just take off, ride for six or seven days, then turn around and head home. That really is the ideal.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #8
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChilliColdBeer View Post
Let's suggest you're in Edmonton, and want to get to Seattle.

Start out at Google maps, and find Seattle. Hit the 'Get Directions' button(top left, below the Google logo) and you'll have the option to put in your starting point, A - Edmonton, with B being your endpoint - Seattle.
Just below the B -Seattle is 'Add Destination', click that and C will show up. You can grab and drag the A, B or C, to wherever in the order you like it. Add as many destinations as you like, you'll end up with something like this.

Now on the left you can scroll through the turn by turn, with time/distance to each and every one of your destinations, as well as total time/distance.

Helping?

Charlie
This is a step in a direction, but not quite the direction I wanted. Basically, using your example, I don't know where I will be stopping, I will be deciding that on the fly based on the distances the map spits out.

Edit: This is what I have so far. There are stops I stuck on the map that I want to see. Now I need to build routes between them. I figured out how to draw a line on the map and change the colors, and name them "day x". But I cant figure out how to insert stops on this line and show me what the distance between them is.

https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=...b33e1970&msa=0

Example: I want to ride from Redding to San Fran. I draw a line clicking both locations. Now I want to add stops of several state parks along the way. How do I do this, and how do I get google to spit out Route 1. Redding to Redwoods State Park - 100 mi. Redwoods State Park to San Fran - 250 mi??

pne screwed with this post 05-06-2013 at 09:58 PM
Old 05-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #9
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TassieMark View Post
Cheers,
Mark.
I never used to be this anal, but my last bike was a dinky supermoto with a range 50 - 100mi depending on how I rode it. It is annoying hitting reserve in the middle of nowhere. That, and I will be camping and couch surfing/tent spacing quite a bit on this trip. It's nice to give hosts an exact date rather than "I'll get there when I get there"
Old 05-07-2013, 05:28 AM   #10
HotChilliColdBeer
Human Swizzle Stick

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by pne View Post
Example: I want to ride from Redding to San Fran. I draw a line clicking both locations. Now I want to add stops of several state parks along the way. How do I do this, and how do I get google to spit out Route 1. Redding to Redwoods State Park - 100 mi. Redwoods State Park to San Fran - 250 mi??
I went to Google maps, typed in Redding as my starting point, added Humbolt Redwoods State Park as my second destination, and then SF as my third. Google spits out this

You get your directions with time and mileage on the left of the screen; Redding to Redwoods State Park - 172 mi about 3 hours 18 mins. To SF - 230 mi about 3 hours 58 mins.

If you don't like the road Google is taking you on, grab the line on the map and move it to the road you'd rather ride. For example, you'd rather the coast than 101? I dragged the line to the coast like this

I'd add as many destinations as I was needing. Rather than a vague Redding to SF, I would have Redding to the park, to the coast, to Joe Schome's couch, to the campground by the ocean, to the motel on the highway, to the hostel over there, etc....

Charlie
HotChilliColdBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #11
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

that's fine for a day trip but when I start making multiple days it has no way of differentiating anymore. Seattle to Portland to Redding to San Fran to Las Vegas etc. Then it spits out a huge total route with ABCDEFGHIJK..... 5000 miles and 400 hours.

I wanted to be able to draw a route for each day in a different color, have the stops displayed and the total mileage for each day only (I don't need turn by turn directions). Then have Day 1-100 shown on the same map. Can I do this without creating 100 seperate maps?
Old 05-07-2013, 11:19 AM   #12
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pne View Post
that's fine for a day trip but when I start making multiple days it has no way of differentiating anymore. Seattle to Portland to Redding to San Fran to Las Vegas etc. Then it spits out a huge total route with ABCDEFGHIJK..... 5000 miles and 400 hours.

I wanted to be able to draw a route for each day in a different color, have the stops displayed and the total mileage for each day only (I don't need turn by turn directions). Then have Day 1-100 shown on the same map. Can I do this without creating 100 seperate maps?
I could be wrong, but I don't think Google maps has the capability you're looking for. A software program like Microsoft's MapPoint will schedule overnight stops, etcetera, and even time at each stop. But I don't think Google maps will do that.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #13
wingnut11
generally strange

Have you tried the create a map function on google maps? I don't use the get directions function.
Go to google maps, then click the my places button. You should then see a create map button. This is much better for trip planning than the get directions way.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #14
Outwardbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
Good thread. I finally learned how to create a customizable rte in google maps. I've used mapsource for years and need to kick the garmin addiction...

Now...

I emailed the route to myself. How do I load it into my phone (iPhone5) ?

Ultimately I'm thinking of getting a 7 in tablet with a built in gps and using it instead of the tiny garmin screen which I can barely read w/o my glasses.
Outwardbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #15
wingnut11
generally strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outwardbound View Post

I emailed the route to myself. How do I load it into my phone (iPhone5) ?
I never really solved that problem with an iphone, I got an android phone which lets you sign into your google maps account so you can look at them on your phone. Some phones will allow you to pre-cache map areas for when you don't have data service. I don't use it on the bike as a gps. I will look at it sometimes when I'm stopped to make some mental notes for later on.