Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #61
justdirtyfun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
I am getting a budget micro 4/3 setup together. Closeout Olympus Pl1 with a Sigma 30 up front for now. A 40-150 is on the way along with a lens cap lens(??). I tried a Fuji super zoom for a year or two and thought the colors sucked. It came with a decent bag that is working for my Olympus.
Lost rider can really work that rx100!
justdirtyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:24 PM   #62
stefan tilden
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Canon 60D + Zeiss pancake = small and manageable.

Just finished my coast to coast with my Canon 60D with Zeiss 45mm pancake (2.8). Didn't work any panoramas with that and I had a couple of other lenses on me but didn't do too much with them (Nifty 50 and a 24-85 USM) just because I know the clarity of the Zeiss is unmatchable.

Anyway the pancake is such a slim profile I could easily wrap the camera in a pair of khaki shorts and stick it in the top box and it was good to go.

http://christopher-king.blogspot.com...road-trip.html

You can see the Manfrotto strapped to the rack but I never actually used it on the road.

stefan tilden screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 08:41 PM
stefan tilden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:15 AM   #63
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan tilden View Post
You can see the Manfrotto strapped to the rack but I never actually used it on the road.
I have a little Slik tripod that fits in a side case, which is OK for shorter trips, where you don't need all the case capacity. Is that a special motorcycle case for your Manfrotto?

Yes, they do take a bit of time to set up, so I don't use mine as much as I should.

Nice pic.

Rinty screwed with this post 07-17-2013 at 10:27 AM
Rinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #64
stefan tilden
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
$Free99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
I have a little Slik tripod that fits in a side case, which is OK for shorter trips, where you don't need all the case capacity. Is that a special motorcycle case for your Manfrotto?

Yes, they do take a bit of time to set up, so I don't use mine as much as I should.

Nice pic.
Thanks! Actually it came with the waterproof case... it's one of their loss leaders really sturdy construction and only $110.......
stefan tilden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #65
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
Glad I found this thread....I am trying to decide on a camera to take on a six month tour of the Americas. I've pretty much decided NOT to bring my Canon D60 and lenses due to weight and security issues, opting instead for a compact cameral with manual controls.

Currently trying to decide between the Sony Rx100, the Panasonic LX7, and the Canon G15.

All three are awesome cameras with the creative controls I like to use.

Decisions, decisions, decisions...
Old 08-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #66
LoneStar
WhoopDeDoofus

Oddometer: 1,153
Can't go wrong with any of those

I'm currently using the LX7 for the small camera, and will be trying the RX100 at some point. Last G series Canon I had was the 9 - they take great images, but are a bit blockier. A friend was in the same dilemma as you wanting a smaller tank bag camera, and he'd had the last two iterations of the G series, but eventually went with the LX7 due to size and a sale price he found.

Consider also your shooting style as in RAW or JPG shooter...
If you're a raw shooter and don't mind the post processing, then consider file sizes and storage if you shoot a lot of images on a long term trip.

If you mainly shoot JPG files, then storage isn't a real issue, and I'd seriously look at which of the three gives the best jpg file from the camera.

I'm a RAW shooter and the LX7 produces spectacular images from raw data, but some other cameras give better jpgs from camera IMO.

Other factors to consider would be ease of pocketability if you want one with you all the time, or whether it will be a tank bag camera, in which case size and bulk are less important. The RX would fit a pocket more easily, LX7 and predecessors are jacket pocket cameras, and their lens protrusion makes them about the same thickness as the G series in that area, but are less bulky overall. LX also has the 24mm equiv lens and F1.4 at that length if wide shots are important to you. I like the extra width and 16:9 native format, and it's also easy to switch to 3:2, 4:3, 1:1 on the lens barrel while shooting. Aperture ring on the barrel also is nice. I'm not pushing the LX series BTW - it ain't perfect and I'm always looking for newer and better - it just was the right combo for my needs. All the cameras you're looking at will be a compromise compared to a DSLR in terms of fast shooting, IQ and other so be prepared, but when you adapt they're very capable.

Would be great if you could find a store that had all three to handle side by side, but good luck on that

Check out my ride report on Real de Catorce to see images shot with the LX7 and a Sony Nex 5N with consumer grade lens. I'm liking Sony's chips very much - and waiting for their Nex lenses to catch up. Stunning with an older manual focus Contax Zeiss lens however

LoneStar screwed with this post 08-13-2013 at 11:43 AM
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #67
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

I do shoot raw occasionally, but mostly jpegs. I think any of these cameras would do fine for me, as the size of the camera, image quality, and creative controls are all there. I do like the macro shots from the G15...And, I'm concerned about user reports regarding humidity and the LX7. But, in all, these are fine cameras.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #68
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 2,860
Damn this thread. I had no idea that I needed to upgrade my camera until I stumbled upon it yesterday. Now I'm trying to narrow down my choices too.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #69
LoneStar
WhoopDeDoofus

Oddometer: 1,153
Switching "ENABLE Mode ON" in Five, Four, Three, Two, One... "ENABLE ON"

It's official, you're good to go
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #70
Nophix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
For the cost of a lot of point and shoots of any quality, you can pick up a lower end DSLR. I've got my wife's beater cam, a Nikon d3100, and a cheap lense. Throw it in the tank bag and away I go. Otherwise, my iPhone and Galaxy S3 have decent enough P&S.
Nophix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:18 PM   #71
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStar View Post
Switching "ENABLE Mode ON" in Five, Four, Three, Two, One... "ENABLE ON"

It's official, you're good to go
Woo hoo!
Old 08-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #72
cchoc
Outdoor Photographer

Oddometer: 195
My 'regular' cameras are a Nikon D800E and a D3s, but for riding and longer hikes I got a Panasonic Lumix GX1 with a 14-42 kit lens and a 7-14 macro. Takes great pictures, the 'scene' settings are surprisingly good and has creative control features which I haven't really used. Not going to get rid of my Nikon gear, but when space and weight are at a premium the Lumix is what I pack.
cchoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #73
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Fuji X100. This is a fantastic camera for motorcycle travel, it's not as pocketable as the RX 100 however it is small and has a true APS-C sized sensor (4 times bigger). I hang it around my neck under my jacket. It will fit in my bike jacket pocket too but not my jeans pocket. The flash is the best flash I've ever seen and it takes amazing portraits, best night shots I've ever seen and without a tripod. So much good stuff about this camera.

Note though that it's fixed to a 35mm focal length though this is yet to bother me (changing lenses on the road is a pain in the ass anyway, I stopped taking extra lenses some time ago).

Check out the portraits it takes, they're amazing:
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=fuji%20x100%20portrait

It has full manual control too.
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #74
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,107
my 2 cents:

An average DSLR camera is likely superior to the best compact camera. And much less expensive. But they are obviously large. And because you are likely not to have it with you at all times, you may miss a few shots when the opportunity arrives and you don't have it with you.

My philosophy has been to always carry a camera with me, no matter where I go and what I do. Cell phones do ok. But there is that moment where that shot opportunity arrives and all you have is your I-phone camera. Not bad, but not good enough perhaps.

Some of the pocket-size P&S cameras are getting really good. And when I mean pocket-size I mean jeans front pocket-size. More on that later.

I have a Canon S95, ok camera. And I recently bought a Canon Gx1. Nice camera and all, large sensor almost DSLR quality, but it won't fit in my pocket. Looking back, I would had been better off buying a Nikon 3100 how someone mentioned earlier. Fast lense, better results. Bigger than the G1X, but not by much.

All the other compact cameras with APS-C size sensors, almost DSLR quality, require interchangeable lenses. They barely fit your pocket, but only if you have a pancake wide angle fixed lens. Once you want a zoom, there you go, it won't fit anymore. They seem less rugged, I may be wrong on this. Just that interchanging lenses opens possibilities for dust getting there, I suppose.

Other high quality cameras, pocket size, zoom lens cameras are Canon S110 (not too different than my S95, sensor size 1/1/7", same as Canon G15) and Fuji XF1 (slightly larger sensor than Canon S110). Their sensors are large for a compact, but not comparable to APS-C sensors. Although that should not be the end of the world. They still have enough size to take reasonable pictures in low light

The Sony DSC-RX100 seems to be the exception to the rule. It fits the pocket, has a built in zoom lens, and it has a 1" sensor.

If I was going P&S today, that's the camera I would get. Great quality and fits in my front jeans pocket. It sits on that position without a real direct competitor today, I believe.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:19 PM   #75
RonSJC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
I picked up a Pentax K30 that was an affordable dslr and weather resistant for my ride to Alaska this summer. Great camera and less then a comparable Nikon or Canon. Not the best for video, but that's not why I got it.

Ron
1988 NX250 (2126 miles the day I picked it up) that's about to change!
RonSJC is offline   Reply With Quote