Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2013, 12:59 AM   #76
Frank.Wagner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
For my motorbike trips & walking- & city - travel - very satisfied :)
(comming from Nikon D7000 DSLR )

Nikon 1 V2 / 6.7-13 3.5-5.6 / 18.5 1.8 / 30-110 3.8-5.6 / WU-1B / ML-L3 /
Stativ togopod Panorama Luisa (Pack size 35 cm working height 160 cm)
and my Apple MacBook Air 13.3 or my iPad 4G 64GB

The Nikon V2 can RAW - very small & small weight

Frank.Wagner screwed with this post 08-18-2013 at 01:27 AM
Frank.Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:03 PM   #77
Kitteh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
I am trying out RX100, getting some pretty OK results, but I really prefer APS-C sensor at minimum (have a NEX 5N, wish Sony was making some really nice Oly quality zoom lenses for it). Here's a pic w/ RX100 from tonight's epic ride. Looks good resized, but at 100% detail gets pretty fugly on that tiny sensor.

ETA: coming from D600. Really wish I'd had it today, it was gorgeous.

"I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center." - Vonnegut
Kitteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:44 PM   #78
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 2,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSJC View Post
I picked up a Pentax K30 that was an affordable dslr and weather resistant for my ride to Alaska this summer. Great camera and less then a comparable Nikon or Canon. Not the best for video, but that's not why I got it.

Ron
I did exactly the same thing. I am on my way home now and I am happy with my K-30 with its 18-135 mm (27 -200 mm equivalent) lens. I got lucky with the weather and did not test its weatherproofness much. I had been carrying a Pansonic FZ-150 on a previous trip and I missed its 600 mm equivalent telephoto capability for some wildlife shots in Denali park, but overall I have been happy with the K-30. I got a neoprene case (http://optechusa.com/pouches/soft-po...-d-series.html) for it and carried in my tank bag. At least the 1st 7,000 miles didn't seem to hurt the camera.

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:30 AM   #79
LoneStar
WhoopDeDoofus

Oddometer: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitteh View Post
I am trying out RX100, getting some pretty OK results, but I really prefer APS-C sensor at minimum (have a NEX 5N, wish Sony was making some really nice Oly quality zoom lenses for it). Here's a pic w/ RX100 from tonight's epic ride. Looks good resized, but at 100% detail gets pretty fugly on that tiny sensor.

ETA: coming from D600. Really wish I'd had it today, it was gorgeous.
Ditto on the glass for the Nex series - I'm currently trying manual Zeiss lenses to satisfy my inner cravings til some good stuff comes available.

I'd say for a tiny pocket camera that RX pic looks pretty epic however
LoneStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:39 AM   #80
Kitteh
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStar View Post
Ditto on the glass for the Nex series - I'm currently trying manual Zeiss lenses to satisfy my inner cravings til some good stuff comes available.

Yeah, I have some nice primes for NEX, but I really hate swapping lenses when I'm out. I think I might look for a Leica R 35-70 f/4 and give that a try... :) Which Zeiss are you using on your NEX?

"I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center." - Vonnegut
Old 08-19-2013, 06:51 AM   #81
LoneStar
WhoopDeDoofus

I'm currently using a couple of Contax Zeiss C/Y mounts - 50 1.7 and 135 2.8, as well as various older Nikkor AI lenses. The CZ C/Y are of course vivid and crisp but as you say defeat the purpose of why I bought the NEX.

I've got a bunch of Contax G series primes I've had for years and considered adapters for them since they're so small, and would be easier on the tank bag but don't really want to carry several lenses.

The 18-200 Sony may be the best solution but I've been waiting for a smaller and sharper version - maybe the just released version will be...

Kitteh have you shot video with the 5N? I did a bit a couple months ago in the mountains in west Texas and got some good stuff - another reason I went with the Nex
Old 08-19-2013, 06:58 AM   #82
Nickcamera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
canon g15 all the way!
Nickcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:44 AM   #83
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,216
Quote:

Have any of y'all tried the Sony 50MM 1.8 lens? It seems to test out fairly well.

I need to spend some time shooting with my FD 50mm 1.4 lens.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:53 AM   #84
Kitteh
Adventurer

Quote:
I've got a bunch of Contax G series primes I've had for years and considered adapters for them since they're so small, and would be easier on the tank bag but don't really want to carry several lenses.

The 18-200 Sony may be the best solution but I've been waiting for a smaller and sharper version - maybe the just released version will be...

Kitteh have you shot video with the 5N? I did a bit a couple months ago in the mountains in west Texas and got some good stuff - another reason I went with the Nex

Oooh, you've got a bunch of nice glass, then! I have the G90, and it's really nice. Also had G45 for a while. I can't bring myself to buy the 18-200 zoom, either.

I have shot some video with mine, and like it for that. I actually have been kicking around the idea of trying m43 just because there is some higher end glass choices... I've been carrying the 18-55 on my NEX and it's OK, but doesn't hold a candle to primes.

I really don't know which way to go with my kit at this point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Have any of y'all tried the Sony 50MM 1.8 lens? It seems to test out fairly well.
Yeah, I have that one. It's a decent lens. Kind of bland in character (if you like lenses with character :)) Here's a sample from a wild weather day in Utah. ETA: it's got good sharpness, color, contrast. Not really knocking it, it's just not a character lens. It does do good B&W work because bokeh is smooth and not funky/distracting.

Kitteh screwed with this post 08-19-2013 at 08:59 AM
Old 08-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #85
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitteh View Post

Yeah, I have that one. It's a decent lens. Kind of bland in character (if you like lenses with character :)) Here's a sample from a wild weather day in Utah. ETA: it's got good sharpness, color, contrast. Not really knocking it, it's just not a character lens. It does do good B&W work because bokeh is smooth and not funky/distracting.

I actually like that. I really like to see sharpness in my pics. I think I'll pick one of those lenses up.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #86
CrispieGee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
No thanks to you guys, my budget is completely blown. I started out with a plan of buying a cheap point & shoot to replace my old 7 mp Nikon L14.... something around $150.

Then I discovered the Panasonic Lumix ZS19, which couldn't be had for less than $250, but significantly better photos and a 20x zoom (even though I can't imagine anything I need a 20x zoom for). Eventually, I'd get a DSLR, but at least I'd have a small camera for parties and traveling.

Then I got the brilliant idea to check ADVrider to ask what you guys shot with, and lo and behold, there's a fresh thread on the topic. Now I feel I MUST get the Sony RX100 mk II or forever be dissatisfied with my photos.

LostRider's night shots of his bike in the desert under a starlit sky put me over the edge. Now I see the point of getting a high quality camera: It's not about daylight, but about maintaining that quality in diminishing light. It's about composing an artistic shot that conveys the beauty of what I experienced in nature.

I've looked at the price of the RX100 and asked myself why I'm not getting a DSLR for that amount of money. Then I remember that I can fit the RX100 in my coat pocket or put it in my tank bag without taking up valuable space. I have to have it.
CrispieGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:41 PM   #87
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispieGee View Post
No thanks to you guys, my budget is completely blown. I started out with a plan of buying a cheap point & shoot to replace my old 7 mp Nikon L14.... something around $150.

Then I discovered the Panasonic Lumix ZS19, which couldn't be had for less than $250, but significantly better photos and a 20x zoom (even though I can't imagine anything I need a 20x zoom for). Eventually, I'd get a DSLR, but at least I'd have a small camera for parties and traveling.

Then I got the brilliant idea to check ADVrider to ask what you guys shot with, and lo and behold, there's a fresh thread on the topic. Now I feel I MUST get the Sony RX100 mk II or forever be dissatisfied with my photos.

LostRider's night shots of his bike in the desert under a starlit sky put me over the edge. Now I see the point of getting a high quality camera: It's not about daylight, but about maintaining that quality in diminishing light. It's about composing an artistic shot that conveys the beauty of what I experienced in nature.

I've looked at the price of the RX100 and asked myself why I'm not getting a DSLR for that amount of money. Then I remember that I can fit the RX100 in my coat pocket or put it in my tank bag without taking up valuable space. I have to have it.
If you want a pocketable DSLR then take a look at the Fuji X100, it has an APS-C sensor that captures three times as much light as a 1" sensor like that in the Sony RX100. They're very cheap right now because the X100s was just released, I bought mine for the same price as an RX100.
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:29 AM   #88
LoneStar
WhoopDeDoofus

Kitteh - dang you man you live in my favorite area of the US! Got a few shots of that rock meself... In one of my many fantasy lives, I have a place between Ouray and Moab, and ride southern Utah and the four corners region daily

Like you I'm not sure where to go with the Nex either. There is a company out of Hong Kong that has created an autofocus adapter for the G lenses on a Nex body finally, and might try it. Again however I want a non-existent zoom wunderlens I can leave on the body.
I had an early 4/3 GF2 (for size reasons) and the Panasonic lenses, but they were crappy and the GF2 ergos weren't good for me. Rather than take the time to seek better lenses for a body I didn't care for, I just sold it all. I DO think it's a wise choice for lens selection and the GH series bodies have been a draw to me. I will probably get into a 4/3 again at some point.

Haven't tried the dedicated Zeiss primes yet...

Buddy just bought the Fuji X20 and haven't seen enough to make a decision on it yet

Llamaha that's a sweet camera - I just can't live with the single focal length

LoneStar screwed with this post 08-21-2013 at 06:36 AM
Old 08-21-2013, 06:48 AM   #89
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

OK, so I bought a NEX 5R last week, shot some stuff over the w/e and realized I really need a damn view finder! Well, for less then the price of the OLED VF attachment and a 5R I can get a dang NEX 6 which has a built in OLED VF and flash, and also has a multi-use hotshoe . So I returned the 5R and got a 6.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:54 AM   #90
LoneStar
WhoopDeDoofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
OK, so I bought a NEX 5R last week, shot some stuff over the w/e and realized I really need a damn view finder! Well, for less then the price of the OLED VF attachment and a 5R I can get a dang NEX 6 which has a built in OLED VF and flash, and also has a multi-use hotshoe . So I returned the 5R and got a 6.
Lol the same reason I don't have one for the Nex, but I did get one for the LX7.