Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 06:01 AM   #91
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,762
It really is a never ending quest. Unfortunately, it's eating into my motorcycle budget.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:56 AM   #92
Kitteh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStar View Post
Kitteh - dang you man you live in my favorite area of the US! Got a few shots of that rock meself... In one of my many fantasy lives, I have a place between Ouray and Moab, and ride southern Utah and the four corners region daily

Like you I'm not sure where to go with the Nex either. There is a company out of Hong Kong that has created an autofocus adapter for the G lenses on a Nex body finally, and might try it. Again however I want a non-existent zoom wunderlens I can leave on the body.
I had an early 4/3 GF2 (for size reasons) and the Panasonic lenses, but they were crappy and the GF2 ergos weren't good for me. Rather than take the time to seek better lenses for a body I didn't care for, I just sold it all. I DO think it's a wise choice for lens selection and the GH series bodies have been a draw to me. I will probably get into a 4/3 again at some point.

Haven't tried the dedicated Zeiss primes yet...

Buddy just bought the Fuji X20 and haven't seen enough to make a decision on it yet

Llamaha that's a sweet camera - I just can't live with the single focal length
Well, give me a shout if you are ever out this way and want to do a sight seeing ride. Love Moab, Ouray, and lots of places in between.

I do have the Zeiss ZA 24 for NEX, and it's a very good lens - but I really don't want primes for travel. I already fumble around enough when I take little shots here and there with my helmet and gloves on. (Yeah, that sounds lazy, doesn't it?)

I think for now I'm gonna try carring RX100 for snaps, and throw my D600 in the pack so I can grab a high-IQ pic if a great opportunity presents.

And YEP, I tried the early m4/3 stuff, too. I think it has come a long way... The dust sealed OMD looks interesting, I'd still like to try it.

Have you been following the rumors, that Sony is set to announce two new zooms for NEX in the next week or so? The 16-70 Zeiss sounds interesting... Maybe it's the higher IQ solution we've been wanting?

"I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center." - Vonnegut
Kitteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #93
Kitteh
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
It really is a never ending quest. Unfortunately, it's eating into my motorcycle budget.
I am selling camera gear to plump up the moto budget. I really want a CRF230 to setup for desert riding... My old EF 500 f/4.5 is getting nervous.

"I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center." - Vonnegut
Old 08-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #94
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,303
I just bought a Canon T3i.

I have no idea what I'm using, I just use the many preconfigured selections.

But I found that I didn't take nearly as many photos as I would normally have taken with the old P.O.S. P.n.S.

I am going to have to get a high quality PnS that I can grab quickly from the tank bag and get a snap here and there. Just can't be arsed to drag the big camera out everytime, and forget it while I'm moving.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #95
tt100
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispieGee View Post
No thanks to you guys, my budget is completely blown. I started out with a plan of buying a cheap point & shoot to replace my old 7 mp Nikon L14.... something around $150.

Then I discovered the Panasonic Lumix ZS19, which couldn't be had for less than $250, but significantly better photos and a 20x zoom (even though I can't imagine anything I need a 20x zoom for). Eventually, I'd get a DSLR, but at least I'd have a small camera for parties and traveling.

Then I got the brilliant idea to check ADVrider to ask what you guys shot with, and lo and behold, there's a fresh thread on the topic. Now I feel I MUST get the Sony RX100 mk II or forever be dissatisfied with my photos.

LostRider's night shots of his bike in the desert under a starlit sky put me over the edge. Now I see the point of getting a high quality camera: It's not about daylight, but about maintaining that quality in diminishing light. It's about composing an artistic shot that conveys the beauty of what I experienced in nature.

I've looked at the price of the RX100 and asked myself why I'm not getting a DSLR for that amount of money. Then I remember that I can fit the RX100 in my coat pocket or put it in my tank bag without taking up valuable space. I have to have it.
Everything you just said ditto for me

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
tt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #96
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,965
All of the newer compact cameras are capable...remember its the photog not the camera....
Old 08-22-2013, 02:35 AM   #97
Happy Snapper
GOMOB.

Oddometer: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventurePoser View Post
All of the newer compact cameras are capable...remember its the photog not the camera....
As a working pro photographer of 40 years I agree with this 100%

My "bike" camera is a Canon A1200 which cost about $90.

My DSLRs stay back at the studio.

Reasons are these:

If i lose the camera.. $90.

If I drop the camera... $90

I carry it in my jacket pocket.. if I have an off and land on it.. yes, it will be destroyed by my weight, but it won't make as big a mess of me as a DSLR will.

Shortcomings.. would like the ability to shoot RAW and would like a longer zoom range.

But honestly.. pick a camera you like the look of.. and learn how to make good pictures.

Note I said.. make good pictures.

Cannot claim credit for that.. Ansell Adams said it. You don't take a picture, you make a picture.

Good luck!

Never trust atoms.... they make up everything!

Read my Blog: http://snapshotsfrommark.blogspot.com.au
Happy Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:49 AM   #98
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Is this so? My Lumix PnS has a maximum exposure time of 1 second. As a photographer I can take nighttime photos; I'm looking for a camera that's more capable.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:42 AM   #99
Superzoom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Here is a camera that I'm seriously thinking of getting--the Panasonic LF1. It checks a lot of boxes for me: truly pocketable, viewfinder, great zoom range, largish sensor. It's close to being a perfect travel camera. Only drawback is the high price.

Superzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:50 AM   #100
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Then I'm doomed!!!!!

Old 08-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #101
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Snapper View Post

I carry it in my jacket pocket.. if I have an off and land on it.. yes, it will be destroyed by my weight, but it won't make as big a mess of me as a DSLR will.

Good luck!
Had a buddy that used to carry his little P&S camera in his jacket pocket. After breaking a couple ribs in a slow get off because of that HARD little camera in his jacket pocket he doesn't do that anymore.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:23 AM   #102
Kitteh
Adventurer

Quote:
To some point. I'd prefer not make big prints from my P&S camera, though. That's the main issue for me... I see some gorgeous country on my bike, and I don't want some of my best images to be P&S quality. I want big prints to hang on the wall.

I recently picked up a Lowepro Photo Sport 200, and should not have trouble carrying either NEX or a FF tucked in there. I wear a Stella Bionic jacket, so my back has a hard shell protecting it, should I land on my gear. At least the NEX isn't alot of $$$ if it gets obliterated. When that happens, I reserve the right to change my gear packing priorities.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #103
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispieGee View Post
No thanks to you guys, my budget is completely blown. I started out with a plan of buying a cheap point & shoot to replace my old 7 mp Nikon L14.... something around $150.

Then I discovered the Panasonic Lumix ZS19, which couldn't be had for less than $250, but significantly better photos and a 20x zoom (even though I can't imagine anything I need a 20x zoom for). Eventually, I'd get a DSLR, but at least I'd have a small camera for parties and traveling.

Then I got the brilliant idea to check ADVrider to ask what you guys shot with, and lo and behold, there's a fresh thread on the topic. Now I feel I MUST get the Sony RX100 mk II or forever be dissatisfied with my photos.

LostRider's night shots of his bike in the desert under a starlit sky put me over the edge. Now I see the point of getting a high quality camera: It's not about daylight, but about maintaining that quality in diminishing light. It's about composing an artistic shot that conveys the beauty of what I experienced in nature.

I've looked at the price of the RX100 and asked myself why I'm not getting a DSLR for that amount of money. Then I remember that I can fit the RX100 in my coat pocket or put it in my tank bag without taking up valuable space. I have to have it.

Glad to help you spend some cash!
It's true, many P&S cameras take beautiful shots in good lighting conditions, the fast lens and big sensor with good high ISO performance is where the RX100 makes all the difference when compared to any other comparable sized camera out there right now. Doesn't hurt to have such large files for large prints or cropping in either.

Seriously though, I was excited when I heard the new RX100 MKII was coming, but after all the reviews and side by side photo comparisons I'm not worried about upgrading any time soon. The best thing for folks wanting to get into a RX100 with the new one coming out is the price for used RX100's has dropped quite a bit. Personally, I don't need an articulating screen, would rather have the smaller size plus the IQ bump is marginal. The other new features didn't matter to me either, YRMV.
Can't go wrong either way, but saving $300+ buying a used or refurb Mark I leaves more $$ for tires, gas, etc IMO and can put the RX100 in a price range that more people can swallow.

Handheld, ISO 1600 in low light, RAW file. I'm very happy with a pocket camera that can do this.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #104
CrispieGee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Glad to help you spend some cash!
It's true, many P&S cameras take beautiful shots in good lighting conditions, the fast lens and big sensor with good high ISO performance is where the RX100 makes all the difference when compared to any other comparable sized camera out there right now. Doesn't hurt to have such large files for large prints or cropping in either.

Seriously though, I was excited when I heard the new RX100 MKII was coming, but after all the reviews and side by side photo comparisons I'm not worried about upgrading any time soon. The best thing for folks wanting to get into a RX100 with the new one coming out is the price for used RX100's has dropped quite a bit. Personally, I don't need an articulating screen, would rather have the smaller size plus the IQ bump is marginal. The other new features didn't matter to me either, YRMV.
Can't go wrong either way, but saving $300+ buying a used or refurb Mark I leaves more $$ for tires, gas, etc IMO and can put the RX100 in a price range that more people can swallow.

Handheld, ISO 1600 in low light, RAW file. I'm very happy with a pocket camera that can do this.

I'm sorry, did you say something? I was staring at your photo.
CrispieGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #105
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer: 1,354
Hey Joe, how do you like the Control Ring on the RX100? Seems like it would be very handy, especially for us DSLR users who HATE those little zoom levers. I hate those (did I say that I hate those f'ing things?).

You got me sold, brutha, cuz I know you've been through a lotta cameras and your work is always stunning. Thanks for always keeping us up to date on the latest and greatest cams.