Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
Yamarocket630 OP
Honey Badger

Oddometer: 477
Opinions on Kumho LX Platinum tires? (car tire thread...no, not Darkside, CAR TIRES)

Anyone bought a set? I'm cross shopping these with a similar set of Michelins. How well did they hold up, what are the wear and noise characteristics over time?

My primary concerns in order are:

1. Dry and wet traction
2. noise
3. ride comfort
4. snow traction
Yamarocket630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,148
Maybe you've already been there, but http://tirerack.com has the world's largest collection of car tire user ratings and reviews.

I try not to buy very many car tires.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:49 AM   #3
Yamarocket630 OP
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
Maybe you've already been there, but http://tirerack.com has the world's largest collection of car tire user ratings and reviews.

I try not to buy very many car tires.
I've spent a lot of time on tire rack, and their reviews are mostly crap. People review tires after having them for 100--200 miles. Even when you filter by mileage its a crap shoot on if the review is even useful. It seems for most people if a tire has tread on it they are happy. Their reviews helped me to narrow down my "non Michelin" choice to the Kumho tire. I'm just looking for any other experiences you FF might have with this particular tire.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:11 AM   #4
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.

Oddometer: 1,720
My daughters car came with Kumho tires. So far, so good but she only has about 6k miles on them. The wife's car came with Hankook tires and she has close to 43k on them and they are doing great, we're hoping to get 50k out of them. They are quiet, have excellent grip in wet or dry and very predictable handling. We do check the air pressure monthly and rotate them every 5k miles like clockwork. All in all, we are very impressed with them for an OEM tire. And I'm a dyed in the wool Michelin fan.

Can't help you on the snow part. Sorry!
Dagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #5
Wreckster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
happen to be in tire sales myself. What kinda car you got?

Will say, Kumho is a hit or miss. A lot of cars are coming with the Solus. I have two myself as they are pretty cheap. They're half way decent for cheaper tires. Don't wear funny, don't seem to burn up too fast.

Hankook tires have gotten strides better over the years. Dynapro's are 70,000 mile suv tires, even the good brands don't get any better than that. They lack a bit in traction, but not enough that I'd turn anyone away from them.

Interesting fact - Hankook also makes the sears branded Roadhandlers. They are 100,000 mile tires with decent handling characteristics. The only thing close to that is the Michelin Defender, 90,000 miles.
Wreckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
elementalg20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 782
Fwiw ive had good luck with the kr21's.

Gone...1998 Triumph Trophy 1200 2000 KTM Adventure 640, 1994 BMW R1100RS, 2002 BMW K1200RS,1999 VFR800, 1996 VFR750, 1985 Maxim X, 198x 250LTD
elementalg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:14 AM   #7
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,450
My truck is not here or I would tell you the exact "model" Kumho tires I have, but I have a full set of Kumho dual-sport type tires on my Ford Explorer. They are a tad more aggressive than street tires, but certainly more conservative than truck offroad knobbies, the perfect balance, quiet, have worn very well, many miles, about $130 each for my Explorer. Great summer, winter, and just a touch more gnarly than all season type tires.

I can look when I am up at storage to see which Kumho's they are. I would get them again. Had to order them, Discount tire got em for me but did not stock them. Had em in like 4 days.

~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #8
Yamarocket630 OP
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckster View Post
happen to be in tire sales myself. What kinda car you got?

Will say, Kumho is a hit or miss. A lot of cars are coming with the Solus. I have two myself as they are pretty cheap. They're half way decent for cheaper tires. Don't wear funny, don't seem to burn up too fast.

Hankook tires have gotten strides better over the years. Dynapro's are 70,000 mile suv tires, even the good brands don't get any better than that. They lack a bit in traction, but not enough that I'd turn anyone away from them.

Interesting fact - Hankook also makes the sears branded Roadhandlers. They are 100,000 mile tires with decent handling characteristics. The only thing close to that is the Michelin Defender, 90,000 miles.

The car they will be going on is a 2005 Saab 9-5 Aero. I pretty much drive like an old man, but it is a relatively powerfull wrong wheel drive car, so the tires need to be capable of accelerating and turning the car at the same time. I have found that some tires really can exaggerate the FWD torque steer.

Other that that I want:

Quiet, smooth, good dry and wet traction. Snow traction is a plus, but any AS tire should be good enough for that. I'm no longer interested in winter/summer tires sets for the 1x per year I'll drive in snow.

I'm also undecided between the stock 225/45/17 size, 225/50 or 235/45. I've run both 225/45 and 235/45 in the past. The 235s ride a bit nicer and look better but do give up a bit of mpg. I have the ability to calibrate the speedo to what ever size I decide, so that is not an issue.