User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
New2dualsport OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Blinker problem ( perplexing )

I took out the bike yesterday after work and noticed the blinkers rapid firing. Now before someone suggests I have a light out I do not! They all work. I was messing around last night in the garage after the ride and noticed if the bike was off with the key on I could leave the blinkers on and they would operate normally, the problem happens when I start the bike and let it run, the blinkers will be normal for a 5 count and then rapid fire and it happens on both sides. The only electrical extra on the bike is a horn and I have disconnected that to rule it out.

Any idea's on where to start?
New2dualsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
bobivey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
If we assume you did not change to LED bulbs or anything like that then I would look for a poor ground. Your turn signal relay is not seeing enough resistance in the circuit to work properly.
bobivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
New2dualsport OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobivey View Post
If we assume you did not change to LED bulbs or anything like that then I would look for a poor ground. Your turn signal relay is not seeing enough resistance in the circuit to work properly.

I know where your coming from but why would they work like they should when the bike isn't running ? The problem on exists when the bike is running, they will blink normally for hours on end if the bike is off. Forgot to mention it is an 09 V strom.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2dualsport View Post
I know where your coming from but why would they work like they should when the bike isn't running ? The problem on exists when the bike is running, they will blink normally for hours on end if the bike is off. Forgot to mention it is an 09 V strom.
Less power available when the bike is off, so it takes longer for them to get to the trigger point. Either going to be a bad ground, a bad flasher, or a combination of things. Might want to replace the bulbs anyways, or at least check them to make sure nothing looks weird with one of the filaments, it is possible to have a bad bulb and have it still work.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
New2dualsport OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky View Post
Less power available when the bike is off, so it takes longer for them to get to the trigger point. Either going to be a bad ground, a bad flasher, or a combination of things. Might want to replace the bulbs anyways, or at least check them to make sure nothing looks weird with one of the filaments, it is possible to have a bad bulb and have it still work.

Well I ran a wire from the ground post on the battery to the ground at one of the directionals and VOILA they work as they should. Now I just need to find where they are supposed to be grounded. Thanks.