Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2014, 06:42 AM   #1
schoals OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Jacksonville area residents, short term rental

Olla.

Anybody in Jacksonville deal with extended stay or short term rental accommodation in the area? preferable SW side of Jax. Looking to move down in a few weeks and search for a home, need somewhere safe to stay, while I work my new job, that allows my wife to come visit!
Not needing any flash but don't know the area real well, don't want to end up in a drug infested extended stay hotel, I made that mistake once before altho the ladies that hung around the place were entertaining!

Have thought about renting a house for a year but want to buy a house soon after we move down, my wife will be staying here in Atlanta getting our current home ready to sell and packing up, she will be making trips up and down a lot.
Also thought about a short term rental agreement on a house, 3 to 6 months if anybody has anything they might be interested in renting to a fellow from out of town.

Any good advice would be greatly appreciated

schoals screwed with this post 06-26-2014 at 06:49 AM
schoals is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:19 AM   #2
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 3,851
Can you be a little more specific on the SW side of Jax?
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:29 AM   #3
schoals OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Anywhere really, Orange park, Green cove, Middleburg. Will hopefully be working in Orange park. Would like to be 45 mins or less away.

Looking at homes to buy in Middleburg eventually.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:31 AM   #4
waybill
cheap thrill

Oddometer: 611
shoals, consider this too. The Mandarin area is just across the Buckman bridge from OP (that's 5 miles of 80mph w/no traffic lights). It takes less than 15 minutes to get from most places in Mandarin to most places in OP (when there's no crash on the bridge). Plus at rush hour, everyone else is going the opposite direction.

I was in your situation in 1980 when I moved from Ormond Bch and got the Yamaha shop on Blanding near 103rd (21 and 134). Didn't know the area at all and lucked into a rental house in Mandarin a spec builder couldn't sell. Traffic has tripled since then but it's the same everywhere so still a viable option. I's a great bike ride across the bridge too except real windy days can get a little dicey at the top.

As far as Middleburg, still a relatively quiet little burg, with good riding out the back door, but it's def growing. The downside is Blanding Blvd. between there and 295, pretty nasty, may want to try it a few times.

https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...04919,0.198269

1150Adv, 950Adv, 800GS, TR650, DR350
waybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:08 PM   #5
schoals OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thats interesting Bill, we figured the drive up from Middleburg would be pretty slow, never thought about coming across the bridge, coming from London we are always scared of bridges!

Now we can expand our search area thanks
Old 06-26-2014, 12:31 PM   #6
waybill
cheap thrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoals View Post
coming from london we are always scared of bridges!

Old 06-27-2014, 04:03 AM   #7
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer: 4,737
Blanding Blvd, San Jose and Southside are 3 surface roads that are seemingly always congested. Use them as little as possible. Having traveled from the beach to Blanding daily for about 6 years I agree with Bill, the traffic flow is better for you if you were in Mandarin. Some nice homes around Yellowbluff on the Northside. I know it isn't the SW you specified but depending on where your job is in OP fits your travel desire and is similar to Middleburg in demographic.
From what I've heard, riding a DR feels just like riding a KLR except you're head doesn't sway left and right constantly scanning the ditches for aluminum cans.
Chicken Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:28 AM   #8
schoals OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank you guys, local knowledge is amazing, we first looked at Middleburg due to how much house you get for your money compared to other areas, plus it was away from the city. I guess because we live a fair way away from Atlanta we were looking for the same kind of thing, but Mandarin looks nice also, I was just worried about the bridges with commuting.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:54 PM   #9
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 3,851
If you haven't already, search "extended stays jacksonville fl". This will get you lots of options. I know one off JTB & Southside Blvd that I stayed at 15 years ago & it's nice. Might be a bit farther than you care for, but there's a ton of stuff within walking distance. Search St. Johns Town Center & you'll see what I mean. Not hard to to get to OP from there.
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:37 PM   #10
schoals OP
Gnarly Adventurer

we did look at a couple of extended stay hotels, but read the reviews, that's always scary lol

Wife just reminded me why we need to not be 8 feet away from neighbors when we buy a place!

just the two grey ones, the black one was a foster child

schoals screwed with this post 06-28-2014 at 06:38 AM
schoals is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:41 PM   #11
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer: 4,737
Holy moose!
From what I've heard, riding a DR feels just like riding a KLR except you're head doesn't sway left and right constantly scanning the ditches for aluminum cans.
Chicken Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:01 AM   #12
PT Matt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Look in the Fleming Island area too, on US 17. 17 doesn't get as bad as Blanding for the traffic, and if you are going to be working in Orange Park it is right there. Lots of nice amenities, and you don't have to look just in the planned communities of Eagle Harbor and Fleming Island Plantation. Those communities have very small yards. Lots of other nice places on Fleming Island.
PT Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:57 PM   #13
schoals OP
Gnarly Adventurer

cheers Matt, we started checking that area out after people mentioned it, difficult to knwo where to buy a house if you dont know the area, thought Middleville was great since the riding west of it looked good and its nice to be a little way out of town, we live in Covington, about 35 miles east of Atlanta now, far enough away but close enough if you need to go into town!
Old 07-03-2014, 02:09 PM   #14
schoals OP
Gnarly Adventurer

OK it just got serious! got the job there, need to sort a place to rest my head!!!
Old 07-03-2014, 04:04 PM   #15
waybill
cheap thrill

Congrats.

Let us know if we can help.