User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2015, 07:15 PM   #1
steve68steve OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Clueless Flugistanian headed south

In a few weeks I'm starting a new job in Sanford, north of Orlando. I've never lived outside of Pennsylvania, no friends or family in FL - just shifting life's gears to see what happens.

The plan is to live in my truck camper at an RV resort which I'll rent monthly to keep housing costs to a minimum. I'll commute to work and run all errands on the bike, because moving the truck/camper will be a PITA (full hookups, backing in, etc.). This arrangement would continue until my house in PA sells, at which point - sans mortgage - other options would become available.

Is it reasonable to expect to be "motorcycle only" all summer in central FL? I'm OK with getting wet if it rains, and being hot and sweaty if I have no other choice... but I'm a clueless newb to FL.
Any blanks you Floridians could fill in? I don't even know how much I don't know about living in FL. I'm guessing I should sell my cold-weather riding gear and spend the proceeds on mesh.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:29 PM   #2
Philip Kuntz
Fleasy Rider

Oddometer: 4,872
Just look out for clueless old folks and texting youngsters, we have it all.

Nasty thunderstorms can often be waited out in a short time, the weather changes real quick here, especially in the afternoon during summer.

If they still have the blind mosquito problem down in Sanford, you are going to trip out a bit, but at least they don't bite.
Philip Kuntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:26 AM   #3
ex250mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
Which RV resort? I have family that often camps at wekiva springs? That place gets super busy in the summer.

Oh and welcome to Floriduh!
ex250mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:43 AM   #4
RBrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve68steve View Post
In a few weeks I'm starting a new job in Sanford, north of Orlando. I've never lived outside of Pennsylvania, no friends or family in FL - just shifting life's gears to see what happens.

The plan is to live in my truck camper at an RV resort which I'll rent monthly to keep housing costs to a minimum. I'll commute to work and run all errands on the bike, because moving the truck/camper will be a PITA (full hookups, backing in, etc.). This arrangement would continue until my house in PA sells, at which point - sans mortgage - other options would become available.

Is it reasonable to expect to be "motorcycle only" all summer in central FL? I'm OK with getting wet if it rains, and being hot and sweaty if I have no other choice... but I'm a clueless newb to FL.
Any blanks you Floridians could fill in? I don't even know how much I don't know about living in FL. I'm guessing I should sell my cold-weather riding gear and spend the proceeds on mesh.
Don't sell your cold weather gear. It can get chilly around Sanford in the winter. Not Pa. cold, but cold enough. And yes, you will need the mesh gear.

Sanford"s a nice area, imo. You'll do fine.

RB
RBrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:48 AM   #5
CaptMako
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Like others mentioned, the weather is always fluctuating because of the Gulf on the West and the Atlantic on the East. Lots of rain between the two. I'd get some raingear and some mesh gear, too. I ride ATGATT even in the heat.
Avoid road rash or worse at all costs. Too many blue haired drivers and the young who don't give a rat's ass who's around them on the roads. Get some armored-up mesh gear and wear a quality helmet all the time. Although Floriduh is a helmet optional (if you have appropriate healthcare) I would never ride without one. If the ATGATT is too hot, which is most of the time, I wear a cooling vest; which is just soaked in cool water, rung out, and when riding the mesh gear hits the cool water in the vest and you get a nice upper torso cooling effect. Works great. After a couple hours you just need to re-dip and ring your vest out again. Now, if they only made pants I'd have it made. That's why I ride a naked bike. OK, good luck. Feel free to ask any other questions. I'm sure someone will be more than happy to help.
CaptMako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:31 AM   #6
steve68steve OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the replies, all. It's good to hear that biking around Sanford in the summer is not a completely ridiculous idea.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:34 PM   #7
steve68steve OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex250mike View Post
Which RV resort? I have family that often camps at wekiva springs? That place gets super busy in the summer.

Oh and welcome to Floriduh!
I'm looking at 12 Oaks, but Wekiva was on the list. I haven't made contact with anyone yet - been so busy trying to sell/pack/gift 15 years worth of stuff.

I'm a little surprised it gets busy in the SUMMER. Isn't that the opposite of "snowbird" season? I'd hoped in exchange for coming in summer that I'd at least not be dealing with crowded camp sites.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:18 AM   #8
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 6,440
Quote:
I'm looking at 12 Oaks, but Wekiva was on the list. I haven't made contact with anyone yet - been so busy trying to sell/pack/gift 15 years worth of stuff.

I'm a little surprised it gets busy in the SUMMER. Isn't that the opposite of "snowbird" season? I'd hoped in exchange for coming in summer that I'd at least not be dealing with crowded camp sites.
It's busy cause school is out and every one wants to go to the beach. Except peeps in Florida who go to the mountains

By the way. You do understand it gets HOT here. Not PA hot. Florida hot. Make sure ac works good.

Good luck and welcome.

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:45 AM   #9
ex250mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
Quote:

I've never been to 12 oaks. Wekiva (sp?) falls gets busy cause there is a sulfur spring there with waterslides etc. You can also rent canoes or launch a boat and head to the river. That place is PACKED during summer especially on weekends.

Wekiva springs is a state park. Probably not as busy but has far fewer camp sites. About half don't have sewer hookup. You may want to reserve something well in advance just to be safe.

Some of our state parks are full up months in advance. My folks like to book their fall/winter trips around this time of year so they can pick a good campsite.
ex250mike is offline   Reply With Quote