User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2015, 03:29 PM   #1
jleyburn OP
Feline Shepherd

Oddometer: 126
S.E. Florida Rides

Ok so there has been a lot more interest recently in group rides on this side of the state. This thread is an attempt to get the riders of Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties together for rides, BS, and shop talk. Post up anything of interest, ride reports, routes, best tires for this florida sand etc.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:29 PM   #2
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 5,203
There are already several threads that have attempted to organize the riders in the southeast.

Please post in those threads.

Good Luck
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:09 PM   #3
jleyburn OP
Feline Shepherd

Ocala NF ride report

So the trip started in Fort Lauderdale where I met up with dancecommander. The plan was to meet up on Friday ride out to holey lands and take the gravel up to Clewiston and then to Orlando where dancecommander (who will be referred to as dc from now on) had an appointment with a shop to have his KTM 990 tuned. After that we would ride on to ONF find a campsite and spend Saturday riding trails, and leave early Sunday morning to return as we both had obligations to attend to.

So we met up, BS a couple of minutes and gear up to hit the road. While strapping my helmet I see a missing subframe bolt on my KLR #*&%^% I show dc and he says no problem I have extra KTM hardware at my place. We ride there, carefully and find a bolt that will work with a couple of washers for shims.

Now we are running late for the tuner, and it is raining. We book to the gravel where the sunshine has broken through. While cruising atop one of the levies a suicidal hawk jumped and flew right into my front wheel. I doubled back to see if it was ok, it jumped again and flew off but one of its legs was broken. Last time I rode the KLR I hit an owl at speed, it died in an explosion of feathers, maybe the bike is cursed, or maybe birds near my KLR are cursed?

Almost to Clewiston dc realized his iphone is missing from the handlebar holder. We double back and search but no luck, a brand new iphone is gone.

Now we are really late, and the contact info for the shop is in the missing phone. Once in Clewiston dc is able to find the shop contact info and call them on my phone but it was too late and the shop said they would have to reschedule. At this point the trip is going very badly, but we decide to go on to ONF.

The first night was a crisp 39 degrees which is darn cold for guys from Broward County. The next morning over crappy instant coffee we discuss plans for the day. Luckily dc has printed out detailed maps for the area roads and trails. At this point I should mention that I have only been in sand once and dc has never been in sand, the weapons are a KTM 990 and a KLR 650.

We both ate it a few times, but the skill grew throughout the day. I think we both improved dramatically in just the first few hours. The main issue was deep sand especially for the KTM that is much more powerful and heavier that my KLR.

We rode dirt roads, 2 track, and single track. Many of these trails were blocked by fallen trees, some were small enough to move, and sometimes we could go around. But many times we had to backtrack. It can be difficult to turn around these larger bikes on a blocked single track. And at the end of the day our bikes and helmets had many new scratches from all of the brush and limbs that we powered through.

After a full day of trails we rode into town and hit the gas station, the ATM, and a Barbeque restaurant. I didn’t realize I was that hungry until they set the place in front of me and I attacked it like a stray dog. It was good BBQ and we made short work of it. Back at camp we finished a bottle of Kentucky bourbon around the campfire and retired to our tents.

The second night was a much more comfortable 46 degrees, we rose early adjusted the chain on my KLR and lubricated the chain on dc’s KTM, broke camp and rode south.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:16 PM   #4
jleyburn OP
Feline Shepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
There are already several threads that have attempted to organize the riders in the southeast.

Please post in those threads.

Good Luck
No offense but I started this thread because my attempts to get riders together in the other thread have failed or been moved to other platforms outside of ADV to avoid confusion. I only know of one active thread for SE fl and that would be south flatistan thread, Am I missing something?
Old 02-09-2015, 07:07 PM   #5
thehelios
Taco Inspector

Oddometer: 127
I was thinking you were crazy for bringing your VStrom in that sand. You're a lucky guy for having a KLR.

Anyway, I'll be an avid member of this thread. I've learned over the past month that trail riding is slim pickings down here but they do exist.

Also, did Chad bring a drum of fuel with him seeing as the dyno-day had to be skipped?

"Nice crotch rocket!"
"Dude, it's a f**king Super Tenere. It's a glorified mountain bike."
thehelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:51 AM   #6
jleyburn OP
Feline Shepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehelios View Post
I was thinking you were crazy for bringing your VStrom in that sand. You're a lucky guy for having a KLR.

Anyway, I'll be an avid member of this thread. I've learned over the past month that trail riding is slim pickings down here but they do exist.

Also, did Chad bring a drum of fuel with him seeing as the dyno-day had to be skipped?
I want to ride the strom on sand but it will have to be in a more open area, those trails have a lot of branches and brush to scratch up your plastics and the strom is my baby.

I forgot about the fuel, Chad launched his gas can that was tied to the tailbag when he hit a big bump in holeylands and the strap broke. Luckily I had slowed down to look at some roadside critters or it probably would have got me. We definatly had an adventure on this trip.

jleyburn screwed with this post 02-11-2015 at 04:51 PM
jleyburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:35 AM   #7
Kibo303
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Hey I'm glad to see some activity around these parts. I'm in Lauderdale with an F800GS. I'm always looking for people to ride with. i have street tires on for now as I haven't seen much in the way of dirt. Anyways I'll follow this thread and see if we can plan a ride here in the near future.
Kibo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:27 AM   #8
dancecommander
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Thanks for posting up the ride Jleyburn! I am not nearly as worried about sand now as I was Saturday morning. I hope I can make it back up there soon to make more arching showers of sand!!!!
dancecommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:30 AM   #9
dancecommander
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Also, I will be subscribing to this thread. Thanks for starting it up
dancecommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:49 AM   #10
thehelios
Taco Inspector

Oddometer: 127
The wife and I rode the Big Loop at Cypress Nat'l Forest and along whatever that canal is named along US-41.

Note to self: Riding gravel and dirt with a heavy bike and someone riding pillion is not the wisest thing. Either way, the wife loved it.

http://imgur.com/a/c2pLE

Some photos from the above album:

"Nice crotch rocket!"
"Dude, it's a f**king Super Tenere. It's a glorified mountain bike."
thehelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:14 PM   #11
RBrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Thanks for the photos and RR's guys.

Much appreciated.

RB
RBrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:31 AM   #12
juno
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
A couple of us in North PB county are going to ride in Corbett this Saturday AM if anyone is up for it.
juno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:13 PM   #13
mceee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Hey jleyburn, it's funny that you mention your klr having sub bolts missing. We were out last week and worldwideride was missing one, and the other was so tore up from being loose that it could not be used. This must be a common problem with the Kawasaki's.
mceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:44 PM   #14
jleyburn OP
Feline Shepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by juno View Post
A couple of us in North PB county are going to ride in Corbett this Saturday AM if anyone is up for it.
I may be up for that, are you planning on riding all day? I have plans for Saturday evening.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:49 PM   #15
jleyburn OP
Feline Shepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mceee View Post
Hey jleyburn, it's funny that you mention your klr having sub bolts missing. We were out last week and worldwideride was missing one, and the other was so tore up from being loose that it could not be used. This must be a common problem with the Kawasaki's.
Yea, its no suprise really, they vibrate a lot. I need to take an afternoon, remove and add loctite to all of the bolts. But that doesnt sound nearly as fun as riding