User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
timmie415 OP
n00b poster but not rider

Oddometer: 88
A scooter someday..!

On the fence between a Zuma 125 or the PCX 150. The honda looks a bit too motorcycle like for my taste but meets all my performance desires. The YamaHA just has a certain smile inducing look to it for me...

I have to brush-up and off-load the F650gs first but then I will join the Battle Scooter familia..

-tim.
timmie415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmie415 View Post
On the fence between a Zuma 125 or the PCX 150. The honda looks a bit too motorcycle like for my taste but meets all my performance desires. The YamaHA just has a certain smile inducing look to it for me...

I have to brush-up and off-load the F650gs first but then I will join the Battle Scooter familia..

-tim.
Theres lots of good to be said about the pcx 150. You can find new ones on cycle trader for 2500 to 3000 grand. More get up and go.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:21 AM   #3
klx250sfguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Not to muddy the water but have you considered a Honda Big Ruckus?

A buddy of mine is also a BMW guy like you, he has a Big Ruckus (among a fleet of other bikes) and he loves it. A bit more oomph (it's a 250), has a certain badass character to it and is comfortable to ride (seat has a backrest that can be folded down to accommodate a backseat passenger, and because the seat is on rails it can be adjusted backwards and forwards).

Not dissing your other choices, because both are great bikes. Just tossing out another option. The Big Ruckus is a rare bike due to a limited production run. The one in the photos above is for sale in Canada for $3500. I just saw another like it, in yellow, go for $2500.

Good luck, whatever way you go.

Rob
klx250sfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:00 AM   #4
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
I don't understand how the 50 ruckus looks so cool and the big ruckus looks so bad lol I want to like it but I just can't. Op, have you actually ridden a scoot yet are you sure you want to just quit your big bike for one
Old 05-03-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
timmie415 OP

Big Ruck looks a bit odd to me also. Maybe due to the backrest seat looking like a barcalounger...

Forde, there is no way I am giving up my big toys, just adding to the herd. Both my DL1000 and VFR800 will stay in the fleet. There is only enough parking in the garage for three bikes and the F650gs is being cared for as a service to my younger brother. Once I free up that space I thought I would give scooting a go. Just to see what all the fuss is about...

My commute is a scant six miles on city streets so a scooter that can hold 50 mph should be perfect. But I want something that is capable of doing some short stretches on freeways to get me away from the city and into some better riding locations.

-tim
Old 05-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #6
wannabe1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
My commute is similar to yours and I have and love my zuma 125. With that being said, don't expect the zuma 125 to get reliably faster than 55 mph. For everything under that it is fine, in town or traffic I am usually on someones butt and always win the light to light drag race, of course they don't know its a race . On the highway, its the other way around and it won't ever see an interstate with me on it. I have a performance variator and some different roller weights in mine that helped a little in the performance.
wannabe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:18 PM   #7
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmie415 View Post
Big Ruck looks a bit odd to me also. Maybe due to the backrest seat looking like a barcalounger...

Forde, there is no way I am giving up my big toys, just adding to the herd. Both my DL1000 and VFR800 will stay in the fleet. There is only enough parking in the garage for three bikes and the F650gs is being cared for as a service to my younger brother. Once I free up that space I thought I would give scooting a go. Just to see what all the fuss is about...

My commute is a scant six miles on city streets so a scooter that can hold 50 mph should be perfect. But I want something that is capable of doing some short stretches on freeways to get me away from the city and into some better riding locations.

-tim
Two thoughts:

First, if you want to get your money's worth, you'll buy - with some exceptions, of course - USED. Which means, you have to strike while the iron is hot.

And you'll sell carefully. It's hard not to lose money when buying and selling bikes, but it's possible to minimize it.

So...if you wait until you have room, what you want/need might be long gone when you do.

Second...you may not like the Big Ruckus. But it's got its own style. Unfortunately, they didn't make many of them before pulling it back.

There IS, however, the Znen Big Ruckus clone, the Rowdy 150. Sells for about $1500 new. A lot less used; but it's Chinese...I bought new.

The Rowdy is six-tenths of a Ruckus. It's good for up to about 45 mph; it's VERY good on gas (I'm getting 80 mpg on mine, that surprised me) and it's air-cooled and simple. GY-6 engine.

If you like it, you'll know you'll like the Big Ruckus...which does sell for a premium. Or...if you like challenges...you could buy a used Rowdy (cheap, probably, but I've never seen a used one for sale) and put a Honda swing-arm in it.

Here's my Rowdy and Big Ruckus together:

CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #8
Howardr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Those are 2 VERY different bikes. The PCX will totally out perform the Yammie. We have a couple of PCX's in our club here and they are excellent bikes. I haven't ridden one but everyone says they are super comfortable and that they handle amazingly well.
My $.02

Howard
Howardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #9
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,507
I have a 2012 Yamaha Zuma 125 I bought new and now have 4,000 miles on. I love it. I like it more now than I did when I first bought it. I have a Yamaha windshield, and a Shad rear rack and top box on it. I'm 6' about 225, and it cruises easily at 55 on a fairly level road.

I'm sure I would love the PCX150 as well, and I had to make a decision between the two. I tend to rack up a lot of miles, and believe it or not, it came down to valve adjustment. Both the Zuma 125 and the PCX150 have what I consider to be way to short valve check intervals. But the big difference is in getting to the valves. It's a 10 minute job on the Zuma, and a 3 hour job on the PCX. Also, I have an '08 Yamaha Vino 125, with 25,000 miles on it, all mine, and I have adjusted the valves once, at just under 20,000 miles. Obviously the valves stay adjusted a lot longer than the check intervals. They probably do on the PCX as well, but how do you know without spending 3 hours removing and reinstalling all that plastic?

I think you would be happy with either one, and if Honda had made the PCX valves easy to get to, I may very well have bought it. I have never ridden a PCX150, but I can highly recommend the Zuma 125, based on experience.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #10
timmie415 OP

Thanks for the insight JerryH. I have read about the valve jobs on the PCX being time consuming and often occurring. The intriguing thing is most people are reporting that the PCX valves have kept pretty true to spec, so far.

Reminds me I probably should check the shims on my VStrom...

-tim
Old 05-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #11
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 2,946
If you want less expensive, reliable, and less maintenance you may consider the Piaggio Typhoon. I almost bought one yesterday. Not sure if I want two vehicles covering the same niche though.

I like its looks better than the Zuma. A little more lithe in my opinion.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #12
Houndguy
super noob!!!

Oddometer: 49
As a former Zuma owner I say go the the Zuma!!!
Old 05-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #13
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,693
Zuma's sure are a lot of fun.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #14
LarryRickenbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Tough choices

Howdy,

I was in a similar dilemma in December of 2010, when i bought my lightly used Honda Sh150i with just 30 miles for nearly $800 off the new price at my local dealer; even got the full 12 month warranty. I'd intended to get the rough & ready Zuma 125, until learning that it's top speed was low 50s.
Consider a new Honda Sh150i. There may still be some 2010s left at local dealers who'd be willing to deal. Good luck!

PS: I cannot explain why the Big Ruckus doesn't appeal to me, either. It's a Honda. It's 250cc. It's rugged looking. And for some reason, it's just ugly in my eyes. Go figure.
LarryRickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote