User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
Dirtbiker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Opinions for a 2nd bike.

I'm looking towards purchasing a 2nd bike. Currently, I ride a V-Strom 650 2011 model. It's my first sport adventure bike, I really enjoy this bike.

But, I'm planning on moving up towards a bigger adventure bike. I like to ride to work, take short and eventually longer trips. With some off-roading. Currently I'm looking over a Super Tenere.

Previously, I've looked over other adventure bikes. The GS 1200's have been always a favorite of mine. Along with the many others.

I've been riding for a little over a year now. I'm leaning towards the Super Tenere. Less cost for maintenance, easier to get parts, plus parts may be cheaper.

So, what do you guys and gals think? There are so many great ADV bikes to choose from. Thanks so much.
Dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,885
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831872

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=881787

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818492

I bought the Tenere so I'm very biased.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,842
Funny when I was shopping for a bike
I was looking at a Tenere and DL650.

I ended up with the DL650.

Personally I don't like to have too many bikes that overlap that much. (Mind you I have a R100GS and DL650) so I have a DL650 and a Honda 919 as well as the GS and a caferacer guzzi.

Buy what you can afford and what turns your crank.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,267
I chose the Explorer. Sold a Norge, SuperDuke, and working on selling a TDM to get it.

I love KTM, but had a 950 and tired of the maintenance. I can't stand Yamaha street bikes (love my WR450 however). Ducatis scare me from a cost and maintenance perspective. I don't want a BMW, for no real fault of the bike/brand.

Personally, I think with any of those choices you'll never ride the weestrom. Too much overlap as mentioned above.

Two weeks ago I put 2700 miles on a 800XC (wife's bike) riding it home from Florida. I found it to be the most enjoyable motorcycling experience I have had (30+ years, 50+ bikes, lots and lots of miles). I was so enamored I ran out and bought a 1200 within a week of my return.

So with that, don't discount an 800 Tiger either.

YMMV
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
Dirtbiker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Thanks, for the input, the tiger would make a great choice. I'll do more research. Thanks so much for the input.
Dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #6
Gobius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
I'd say the first question is why do you want a bigger adventure bike? I'd say a strom is already toward the big end of the adventure bike spectrum. Easily big enough to adventure tour wherever you want to go, with all the gear you care to take. So why is the strom not big enough for you? If you answer that question, it will be easier to identify your next bike.
Gobius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #7
bleedgrn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
I too find the V-strom too big to do some of the riding I would like, rough jeep trails, single track. Hoping for a DRZ or better yet a WR250 as a second bike. I am, however outfitting my Strom to be an adventure tourer. It all depends on your budget. Mine under $10K. For that reason I purchased the Strom. If money was no issue I would have chosen the 800XC. But by the time I would set it up for touring, it would be nearing $18K unless you buy a pre-farkled used model.

L2 Glee - Birthday 17 Jan 13

Farkeling in progress.
bleedgrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #8
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobius View Post
I'd say the first question is why do you want a bigger adventure bike? I'd say a strom is already toward the big end of the adventure bike spectrum. Easily big enough to adventure tour wherever you want to go, with all the gear you care to take. So why is the strom not big enough for you? If you answer that question, it will be easier to identify your next bike.

This is the question I thought of as well.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #9
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,983
The wee is a great touring bike but it does not have the effortless power of the bigger bikes.

DD
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:14 AM   #10
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,982
I own a FJR, a DL650 and a XR650L. I have thought hard about a KTM950/990 or a Tenere but honestly, how much better are either of those two bikes than my heavily modded DL? Yes, they are better but you won't get trophies at the end of the trip or the day for "better". It's not racing.

On the other hand, just how much different are those than my DL? I could see selling the DL to get the larger Adv bike but man, the DL just isn't that much smaller or better in the dirt than the larger bikes {actually, it's prolly worse than a couple of the bigger bikes} so I see it as being redundant.

When I first got my DL650 I hated it but a deer strike pretty much mandated it becoming a "keeper" so I modded it, alot. After alot of modding, I find it perfectly acceptable as my Adv tourer. No, it doesn't rip in the dirt like a KTM and it doesn't have seemless power like the GS but man, after gearing it way low {14/50} it has the power to keep me happy and still cruise at around 80mph.

Me, I would either keep the DL and get a sportbike or a dual sport or I would sell the DL and get a larger/better Adv tourer.

But to actually answer your question,,,, if I did mostly tarmac with only an occasional foray down fairly well maintained dirt roads, I would get the Tenere.

Me, I get off road alot and sometimes on rarely maintained dirt roads so I would get the KTM.

The GS is just too expensive IMO and buying a used one in my acceptable price range would result in no warranty and owning a BMW without a warranty isn't on my "to-do" list. The Explorer is even more tarmac biased than the Tenere. But hey, from what I've heard they are cheap to own once past the initial outlay and man,,,, it do have cruise and I do love cruise after getting used to it on my DL.

Here is an idea, sell the DL650 and buy a nice used but heavily modded DL1k AND a nicely modded dual sport or sportbike for the money one one new GS, KTM or Explorer. Matter of fact, if you look around a bit you could get a nice DL1K, a dual sport and a sportbike!!!

Three modest but very different bikes better than one very good, very expensive bike IMO.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #11
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post

Three modest but very different bikes better than one very good, very expensive bike IMO.
This

Though I can't say much. Somehow I ended up with a Ninja 250, Ninja 500, GSX650, and an SV1000 all in the garage at the same time.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #12
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank.SD View Post
Two weeks ago I put 2700 miles on a 800XC (wife's bike) riding it home from Florida. I found it to be the most enjoyable motorcycling experience I have had (30+ years, 50+ bikes, lots and lots of miles). I was so enamored I ran out and bought a 1200 within a week of my return.

So with that, don't discount an 800 Tiger either.

YMMV
I find it interesting that you bought a Tiger 1200 Explorer based on experience riding the 800XC.
I've put quite a few miles on a friends 800, and only a test ride on the 1200. The Tiger 800 is one of my all time favorite bikes and I really didn't care for the 1200 much at all.
The 800 is light and nimble, when compared to my R12GS where the 1200 felt as plush, but sluggish in tight turns.
What do YOU think of the Tiger 1200 Explorer?
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #13
timspong
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
I have a 2012 dl650 adventure and am planning on owning a HD road king as my second bike. Probably the best bike to tour the USA on. Comfortable for long distance and parts/mechanics in every nook and cranny of the USA. Probably the most satisfying ride you can have if you are planning on sticking to somewhere near the speed limit. Mild off-road duties would fall to the vstrom.
timspong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #14
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
I find it interesting that you bought a Tiger 1200 Explorer based on experience riding the 800XC.
I've put quite a few miles on a friends 800, and only a test ride on the 1200. The Tiger 800 is one of my all time favorite bikes and I really didn't care for the 1200 much at all.
The 800 is light and nimble, when compared to my R12GS where the 1200 felt as plush, but sluggish in tight turns.
What do YOU think of the Tiger 1200 Explorer?
I've only got about 300 miles on it so far. Spring just refuses to come!

So far, I love it. I love the torque, the riding position, the wind protection works well for me. My only complaint, and its not a major one, is that the steering feels vague to me below 25 mph. I don't even notice the weight difference once rolling really. All the electronica is a bit scary, but I've ordered a diagnostic tool (dealertool) for it so I can do all the service myself.

It was not an easy decision to purchase the 1200. I was very close to buying an 800 for myself. I have a friend who's wife has an 800 and he has a 1200, and in the end he convinced me to go for the 1200. I also test rode it and came away smiling.

The 800 would be better offroad for sure, but I've already bombed the 1200 down a lot of gravel roads, through some slimy crap, and that's probably all I'll ever ask of it. It handled all that just fine.

Both bikes are absolutely fantastic in my opinion. Honestly they have me more excited about taking a ride than I have been in recent memory. I've had some pretty cool bikes over the years but the Tigers just check all the boxes for me.
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #15
Domromer
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
I'm the same boat. I've got a dl650 and 1000. I love the power of the 1000. But its still no tourer... I've done every mod I can to both bikes and I still can't ride more than a few hours without sore neck and shoulders. I'd like a bike I can ride all day in comfort.

I'm not sure if a gs1150 will do it for me or should I go the full luxury tourer route ala Electra glide or goldwing.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote