User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
whitham_wannabe OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Electric Trials bike ...

Wanted to start up a discussion on here about Electric Trials bikes and what realistically riders would want from them before considering forking over their hard earned cash for one. I mean, we would all love a bike that would run all day on solar power alone, but lets get real here ... That ain't going to happen. So what do you want? What would stop your making a purchase?

What are your thoughts ?

Travels With Bruce : More Travels With Bruce
whitham_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
Wingboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
I tried the EM 75 last week.Very impressive machine.Looks really durable.I think the battery has enough to do a full day.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=880101
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT59hvIwqNQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gCDtbc7wBg
Old 05-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 765
Right now the expense and life of the batteries is what stops me from wanting an electric bike. Those batteries are very expensive when it's time to replace them.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
PAlittlematty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
I don't think I could ride a bike that didn't make noise. Until I'm forced to do that, I'll be on a smoker!
PAlittlematty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
DerViking
Shred

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingboy View Post
I tried the EM 75 last week.Very impressive machine.Looks really durable.I think the battery has enough to do a full day.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=880101
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT59hvIwqNQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gCDtbc7wBg
I read your review, and looked up the site and such. Pretty impressive, and I'd buy one, if I had the money. I'm hoping to ride the Nationals here in AZ, and hoping someone brings one with. The torque of electric motors is perfect for trials, just look at the OSET. One of our locals who tips the scales in the 230 range was riding his kids, with his kid on his lap, and having a good time. I wouldn't have guessed the suspension could take it, but... The range we generally need (Ute Cup not so much) makes it possible if not optimal with current battery technology. From the look of the EM75, a battery swap might take you all of 5 minutes, and as you said, might go all day. I think sound is likely the next thing to get us kicked out of the woods. We already have to ride exclusively on private land to ride "cross country" and be legal, and I can see that going away pretty soon. Convincing bureaucracy of the difference between an open pipe 450 and a trials bike putting around seems like a long shot, it only takes one neighbor making a stink. Speaking of which, how much mechanical noise did that EM75 produce? Chain slap etc?

I say bring it on, but I can't afford to be an early adopter, good thing my trusty 300 is still ticking
Old 05-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
Wingboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
You really don't miss the engine sound while you are riding it.It's strangely reassureing to hear the suspension and tires working over the changing terrain.The motor makes a growl and you don't really hear the chain very much.The really strange (and very effective) part of it is the ability to stop it on a steep incline with only the throttle.No need to clutch or brake.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #7
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 3,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAlittlematty View Post
I don't think I could ride a bike that didn't make noise. Until I'm forced to do that, I'll be on a smoker!
This.

Not this.

Quote:
Wingboy You really don't miss the engine sound while you are riding it.
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #8
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingboy View Post
You really don't miss the engine sound while you are riding it.It's strangely reassureing to hear the suspension and tires working over the changing terrain.The motor makes a growl and you don't really hear the chain very much.The really strange (and very effective) part of it is the ability to stop it on a steep incline with only the throttle.No need to clutch or brake.
Let me guess, your car has an automatic transmission in it as well?

The first electric car I ever drove (real one on the roads) still had a clutch and a 5-speed transmission. OK, it was really a truck. Converted S10 with a bed full of golf cart batteries back in the 90's. But still had a clutch and gears to shift through.

How do you score for a stalled engine with an electric trials bike?
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:31 AM   #9
PAlittlematty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncobowsher View Post

The first electric car I ever drove (real one on the roads) still had a clutch and a 5-speed transmission. OK, it was really a truck. Converted S10 with a bed full of golf cart batteries back in the 90's. But still had a clutch and gears to shift through.

Yeah I don't know how you'd do that. Makes it unfair
PAlittlematty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #10
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 728
Quote:

Can you even stall an electric trials bike? I can't see that as possible unless a fuse blows and you end up pushing your bike out of the section...
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #11
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
stall

I ride with a guy that made his own eclectic Trials bike. {ecotrials}
Anyway he has the advantage of not being called for stalling the motor.
However it all washes out in the end. He does not have a clutch for larger obstacles. anyway he has been riding it with the Sac. Pits. for several years and he keeps upgrading various parts and now is building a twin shock one. check out his web site.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:27 PM   #12
nicktulloh
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:

Score for a stalled engine? Huh?

Trackstand and kick it - no penalty. I don't understand the question.
nicktulloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #13
nicktulloh
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Rumor has it that Oset will be selling an adult bike next year. I'll buy one in a heartbeat. The power of the 20.0 (my son has one) is plenty, just need room for my 6'3". I'll be selling my '07 Sherco if the rumors are true.

I don't get the noise comments. I love the sound of race motors but on the street or on the track recreationally, loud motors (exhausts) suck.
nicktulloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #14
thegraydog
2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer: 573
hmmm, you resurrected a lapsed thread here....

Dale Malasek rode a GG-based electric bike of his own configuration at the Arizona Nationals. He offered rides, which I missed. A friend said it has very sudden acceleration and is the most powerful trials bike he has ridden.

I asked Dale if he had talked this over with Lance Butler, an NMTA expert rider and an e-bike geek. He said they'd be sharing truths at the NM Nationals.

And then there's Hannah Butler, a veteran e-bike pilot and a perennial on the New Mexico circuit. Ask her how to manage the thrust and traction...

Re: noise: if you coast you know the sound of a bike without a motor. But an e-bike makes the noise of spinning a tire going uphill! Momentarily surprising.
thegraydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:58 PM   #15
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegraydog View Post
hmmm, you resurrected a lapsed thread here....

Dale Malasek rode a GG-based electric bike of his own configuration at the Arizona Nationals. He offered rides, which I missed. A friend said it has very sudden acceleration and is the most powerful trials bike he has ridden.

I asked Dale if he had talked this over with Lance Butler, an NMTA expert rider and an e-bike geek. He said they'd be sharing truths at the NM Nationals.

And then there's Hannah Butler, a veteran e-bike pilot and a perennial on the New Mexico circuit. Ask her how to manage the thrust and traction...

Re: noise: if you coast you know the sound of a bike without a motor. But an e-bike makes the noise of spinning a tire going uphill! Momentarily surprising.
Was that my quote about the power?
Yes, I did a quick lap around the pits. It felt like pushing a bike that is in neutral. Lined it up where there was a straight shot as I didn't know what to expect. Then roll on some juice and it feels like you are in an upper gear. I asked Dale and he said it was about the equivalent to being in 3rd. But the torque is insane even at speed. No way could I open it up even at speed. The clutch was wired to give a percentage of the throttle setting, so you still have a clutch lever and it still does something. Watched Dale ride and it does work in the sections. Given the prototype status that it is in, and dealing with prototype cars for a living I can see that this bike does have strong potential.

At one point I had to give an extra warning to other riders in the section as it didn't sound like anyone was actually riding through.

Dale, thanks again for the test ride!

-Tim
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote