Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #31
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 1,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuInFH View Post
More sense, or less nonsense?

Only significant plus I can see is that they are quieter. What am I missing?

And in CA at least, "less sound equals more ground" is B.S. anyway. Should be "less sound equals less, less ground." "Noise" was just the last tactic used by greenies, "dust" and erosion are the end-all arguments. Look at the new dust restrictions for the farm and earthmoving industries. Not gonna solve that with a battery.
Electric bikes are Just another option.

The noise issue is real and a convenient one motorcyclists hand to the ecofascist totalitarians. I was just in Switzerland, which has tons of scooters and motorcycles. I was very pleased that almost none are loud. Pretty weird to be passed by a very fast and whisper quiet Harley.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #32
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
[QUOTE=motobene;22187216]Electric bikes are Just another option.

The noise issue is real and a convenient one motorcyclists hand to the ecofascist totalitarians.QUOTE]

Keeping it to TB discussion, I don't really see noise as an issue, unless it's the neighbor thing. In CA we have complied with noise, erosion, wildlife impact (closed areas during breeding periods, etc.), and emissions, but now Feinstein says no more desert riding cuz it makes dust. This is being applied to other areas/types of riding also.

I'm talking the Golden State (which typically leads the way in these things, as you know). Not trying to argue, trying to learn why anyone sees a purpose for an ETB, other than the novelty of it.
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #33
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,448
Quote:
Only significant plus I can see is that they are quieter. What am I missing?
Easier starting, they don't stall, no stinky emissions.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:45 AM   #34
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 1,049
[QUOTE=StuInFH;22187454]
Quote:
Originally Posted by motobene View Post
Electric bikes are Just another option.

The noise issue is real and a convenient one motorcyclists hand to the ecofascist totalitarians.QUOTE]

Keeping it to TB discussion, I don't really see noise as an issue, unless it's the neighbor thing. In CA we have complied with noise, erosion, wildlife impact (closed areas during breeding periods, etc.), and emissions, but now Feinstein says no more desert riding cuz it makes dust. This is being applied to other areas/types of riding also.

I'm talking the Golden State (which typically leads the way in these things, as you know). Not trying to argue, trying to learn why anyone sees a purpose for an ETB, other than the novelty of it.
Totalitarians, religious or secular, just can't stop seeking to hump the rest of us. Like the machines of the Terminator series... it's what they do. Living rurally in OK, in the Old America. I feel for you.

I could see an electric bike in my future. One thing they'd be good for is stealth riding, as some day we may be forced to hide to ride?
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #35
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

@ Lamo: re no stalling, yup, we joke about that when the one guy rides his in a section and stops. And very true about not stinky, from the tailpipe that is (argument is negated for the coal-fired electric plant areas). But then again, we don't follow each other around in sections that close (you're right about during practice though), and we sure don't burn much fuel in TBs compared to other motos, so I don't see this being a benefit worth such a premium. Sure, ETBs pollute less than a gasser if electricity is from solar/water/nat. gas, etc., but I only burn a few gallons a month at most.

@motobene, totally agree! Stealth riding! Buddies and I have been watching KTM's/& others development of a little e-trail bike. So in the end, I agree with you two, eventually in CA we will have to sneak around to ride anything (even more than now) and a quiet, zero tailpipe emission bike will be the ticket.

Of course the penalty for getting caught offroad will be confiscation, so in the end, again, I hope they can get the cost down. :-)
Old 08-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #36
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Quote:
And very true about not stinky, from the tailpipe that is (argument is negated for the coal-fired electric plant areas). But then again, we don't follow each other around in sections that close (you're right about during practice though), and we sure don't burn much fuel in TBs compared to other motos, so I don't see this being a benefit worth such a premium. Sure, ETBs pollute less than a gasser if electricity is from solar/water/nat. gas, etc., but I only burn a few gallons a month at most.
I was thinking of all the times I've had to wait in line behind 2 or 3 idleing 2 strokes while waiting to ride a section.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #37
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
I was thinking of all the times I've had to wait in line behind 2 or 3 idleing 2 strokes while waiting to ride a section.
Very true. On the twin shock/vintage days (Saturdays) that could be a problem if not room to stagger line, guess they are harder to kick so they may leave running? On Sundays/modern bike day, most usually don't start bike until rider is getting punched out, so easier to avoid.

Paul has put up quite a lot of vids of his ETB if anyone is interested. I rode it, it goes from crawl to pretty fast with just a twist, like someone said above. It's neat! Interesting to hear the chain noise and the tire chew bark and then grab, instead of a raspy 2T. cheers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T73Hioz5N5c
Old 08-31-2013, 03:19 AM   #38
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,188
had a quick spin on the mid-sized oset last week and very impressed for $2400. they reckon oset is working on an adult sized one... i was hoping it might be around the $5000 mark but the distributors said it will probably be around the cost of the smokers.

the frames on these are beefed up to handle the weight of adults so would be interesting to just slip some longer forks, swingarm and full sized wheels on this for messing around on.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:34 PM   #39
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
had a quick spin on the mid-sized oset last week and very impressed for $2400. they reckon oset is working on an adult sized one... i was hoping it might be around the $5000 mark but the distributors said it will probably be around the cost of the smokers.

the frames on these are beefed up to handle the weight of adults so would be interesting to just slip some longer forks, swingarm and full sized wheels on this for messing around on.

These are neat, looking for one for my wife to learn on. Wish it had rear brake pedal instead of hand lever though. $5K price point for new adult size is wishful thinking, I would strike at that price. Isn't the competition closer to $7K?
Old 08-31-2013, 04:43 PM   #40
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 709
I think they have a foot brake conversion kit available. I know I saw one at a trial a few years ago and I think the guy said it was a kit. (it was on a 16 though)

laser17 screwed with this post 08-31-2013 at 05:05 PM
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #41
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,428
I just got back from our two day event. One of our crazy Oset Dads has already built a 26`` bike. It was very cool. (sorry I did not take pics) I can tell you it scared the _hit out of me! (And the owner!) Someone should be along in a day or two with good pics.
I went to try a real wheelie, ended up doing three wheelies with a couple nose wheelies in between. (without using the front brake) It was quite entertaining for those who actually witnessed it. No dabs and did not crash. Trouble with the current design is the wheelbase is too short. But a great first attempt at a 26 inch.

lineaway screwed with this post 09-09-2013 at 07:29 AM
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #42
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
I just got back from our two day event. One of our crazy Oset Dads has already built a 26`` bike. It was very cool. (sorry I did not take pics) I can tell you it scared the _hit out of me! (And the owner!) Someone should be along in a day or two with good pics.
I went to try a real wheelie, ended up doing three wheelies with a couple nose wheelies in between. (without using the front brake) It was quite entertaining for those who actually witnessed it. No dabs and did not crash. Trouble with the current design is the wheelbase is too short. But a great first attempt at a 26 inch.
What aspect of the bike does "26" refer to?
Old 09-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #43
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Wheels, it is basically adult size.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #44
ridenm
not waiting anymore

Oddometer: 2,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
What aspect of the bike does "26" refer to?
Yup, 26" downhill MTB wheels and tires. Lance is contemplating a 24" prototype as well.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:27 PM   #45
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Here`s a link to a picture and spec`s .
http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/...ld-adult-sized