ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2015, 02:09 PM   #1
bigtex OP
Rocky Mountain High

Oddometer: 799
2015 ADV Rally - Ride the Rockies - Gunnison

Anybody else going? I'll be the old fat man noisily collapsed in the tent with the spiffy white Triumph outside.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1050293

bigtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:50 PM   #2
jnclem
True Airhead

Oddometer: 421
Looks interesting. Maybe I'll just tag along with some of you guys and learn something.
jnclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:48 PM   #3
gregdee
Motocampist

Oddometer: 459
Cost?

I looked into this last year and found it to be much more expensive than expected. What's the cost?
gregdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:58 PM   #4
bigtex OP
Rocky Mountain High

$560 with 3 nights in the hotel, $360 for tent camping.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:07 PM   #5
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 3,014
$360 for what? The privilege of being there? I don't think so.....

Dave
Old 03-23-2015, 09:22 PM   #6
bigtex OP
Rocky Mountain High

Nope, not for most folks. Me, I'm planning to win the Klim Badlands jacket and pants door prize and come out ahead.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:12 AM   #7
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 18,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtex View Post
Nope, not for most folks. Me, I'm planning to win the Klim Badlands jacket and pants door prize and come out ahead.
I've still got many more prizes to post and since the attendee count is limited to 100 there are going to be alot of happy campers so they say That Badlands combo is worth $1500+ alone
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 03-24-2015 at 07:21 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:20 AM   #8
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by StmbtDave View Post
$360 for what? The privilege of being there? I don't think so.....

Dave
Hey Dave,
There is alot of depth and involvement in this Rally (compared to some others), such as daily full breakfast & dinners w/ drinks.

There are workshops & Butler maps and booklet for the Rally Cup competition (the concept is to give you the tools and show you more great roads than you though ever existed, not to mention is a fun time), not to mention very generous drawing prizes and more I'll mention overtime.

This might be a more premium rally then you are use to, but rest assured the price is in line with all the features and amenities this will offer.

We understand if this is out of your budget and there are many other great Colorado rallies this season to attend.
Butler Maps website:
Old 03-24-2015, 09:25 AM   #9
shrederscott
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
A BIG +1

Ride on

Scott
shrederscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:16 AM   #10
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,680
Funny people complain about the cost. Not all events work for everyone. That is just life.

3 nights in a Hotel, with food...It cost $110 to stay at a place in Salt Lake City this past weekend per night. Not sure what type of Hotel but it seems spending $80-$100 per night is common. That's $300 right there. Plus you get a lot of other stuff.

$560 - $300 = $260 left over. Are there shirts? I see there is food but I just skimmed the posting. All that stuff cost money, peoples time cost money.

Not happy with them go pay $1,500 to do the Colorado 600. There are more expensive options and cheaper options. But to post to a thread and bitch about the cost; come on it's obviously not an event for you just like me buying a $25K GS1250A is not a motorcycle for me, and that is okay.

You notice the type of bike on the flier right! If a rider can spend $$$$$ on a large Adventure motorcycle pimped out (farkled) what is $560! yeah, the guy on the XR650L is priced out...oh well.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:54 AM   #11
eakins
Butler Maps

This rally is based on a treasure hunt. You are provided a big booklet and a custom map from us and the idea is you need to find landmarks and take a pic to prove you were there. It's a fun competition and with that you find new place you might not have been to otherwise. The goal is to expose people to new roads and places like our maps do.

It's taken alot of time to put that part together vrs a traditional have at it rally where you figure it all out yourself.

There are 3 full breakfasts and 3 full dinners included w/ quality food i'm assured.
6 drink tickets are included to use how you like over the corse. Buy more drinks or bring your own.

There will be tire changing clinics and other talks. Ned (Neduro) should be talking Dakar and the Cycle World magazine (it's their rally) editors are gonna talk bikes. Plus these editors are their to talk shop with you individually if you so desire.

The prize list is not finalized, but rest assured there is alot of $$$ in gear going home with attendees. Cycle World has DEEP connections for rally swag.

In the end, it's a premium rally with alot offered and going on.
It's not for everyone and we understand that not everyone may want to spend that much or even afford it the outlay at this moment.
Butler Maps website:

eakins screwed with this post 03-26-2015 at 10:30 AM
Old 03-24-2015, 11:26 AM   #12
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,680
People not wanting to do the math...

3 - Breakfast is what $12 a person = $36
3 - Diners is what $15 a person minimum = $45
6 drink tickets what $5 a drink = $30

$560 - $300 = $260
$260 - above total $111 = $149

100 x $149 = $14,900

No one is getting rich, plus factor in all the free shit, time in the maps they did that is peanuts.

I have no interest in this event, only interest is Butler maps tries and helps out a lot of events. They give away a lot of maps.

What I like seeing even if I can not afford an event is that companies are backing off road riding. I like that Geico is so into off road, I like that Dirt Rider cares that KLIM cares. So even if it's not an event for you, how could you not give it a thumbs up? The more companies like Geico get involved the better chance we have they step up and toss organizations like COTPA, COHVCO and others funds to fight for our right to access.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:43 AM   #13
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
People not wanting to do the math...

3 - Breakfast is what $12 a person = $36
3 - Diners is what $15 a person minimum = $45
6 drink tickets what $5 a drink = $30

$560 - $300 = $260
$260 - above total $111 = $149

100 x $149 = $14,900

No one is getting rich, plus factor in all the free shit, time in the maps they did that is peanuts.

I have no interest in this event, only interest is Butler maps tries and helps out a lot of events. They give away a lot of maps.

What I like seeing even if I can not afford an event is that companies are backing off road riding. I like that Geico is so into off road, I like that Dirt Rider cares that KLIM cares. So even if it's not an event for you, how could you not give it a thumbs up? The more companies like Geico get involved the better chance we have they step up and toss organizations like COTPA, COHVCO and others funds to fight for our right to access.
Thanks Mark!

We do indeed give away an incredible amount of maps every years to rally organizers to help support their rallies and make then a success and built the ADV community.

As for this rally, there is also camp ground fees, travel, setup & cleanup, support companies and other expenses so that end of the day left over $ is actually alot less. Shit ain't cheap these days and everyone wants to be paid. In fact, bottom line is there is none left (we don't have the free volunteer support like other rallies and thus must pay people) & thus $ is paid in by sponsors & Bonnier make it work

I think people see these awesome $50-$60 rallies you guys and others put on and fail to realize there are a ton of people volunteering incredible amount of their free time to make it happen.

Walk in your and your volunteers shoes for a mile and people might think twice about what it really cost to run an event...and maybe they even might think twice about casting stones.

And finally yes, it great to see more and more companies involved and sponsoring these ADV events. Bonnier (Cycle World & Dirt Rider), Geico, BMW, EBC, Revit, Scorpion, SBS, Double Take/Ned & Butler maps have provided financial support and time invested in making this work and fun for all who attend.

With out these companies support (& volunteers time) all these rallies would not exist!
Butler Maps website:

eakins screwed with this post 03-24-2015 at 05:22 PM
Old 03-25-2015, 04:23 PM   #14
mxjerm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
What will COHVCO and TPA gain from this rally? Will there be a sizeable donation from the sponsors or the organizers?
Old 03-25-2015, 05:22 PM   #15
Saw1once
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
So how are the teams setup? I don't know anyone and only started riding a year ago, so not sure how many people would want to be on my team.
Saw1once is offline   Reply With Quote