User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2006, 06:20 PM   #1
Bigger Al OP
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,824
Yamaha Riva 200-More Speed?

I bought my wife a used Riva 200 last year, and she wants a bit more oomph out of it. I've not spent a lot of time working on these things and was wondering if there are some standard tricks of getting more power out of them.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:40 PM   #2
Spikehead
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 6,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al
was wondering if there are some standard tricks of getting more power out of them.

http://www.actionsalvage.com/turboinstructions.htm

"I was tempted by the Invisible Man, I surely was." -Propforward
Spikehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:19 AM   #3
JohnTM
I suck toes

Oddometer: 29,206

We need a bit more info. When you say "oomph", do you mean top-end speed, acceleration, or making the seat vibrate?

Getting more top end gets expensive. Acceleration is easier. Does it have a CVT (continuously variable transmission)? If so, just removing a bit of weight from the variator will help lots. This lets the engine rev higher and makes the scoot much more responsive. Of course, you are sacrificing a tad of the top end speed and some fuel effeciency.

If you want top-end, then you are looking at the air, fuel, and displacement. Bigger carb, bigger can, bigger jugs (sounds like a trip to the plastic surgeon...) will all make things faster. This is where it gets expensive and not so easy to change back.

Maybe a bigger engined scoot isn't a bad idea?
JohnTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 06:58 AM   #4
Bigger Al OP
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by John™

We need a bit more info. When you say "oomph", do you mean top-end speed, acceleration, or making the seat vibrate?

Getting more top end gets expensive. Acceleration is easier. Does it have a CVT (continuously variable transmission)? If so, just removing a bit of weight from the variator will help lots. This lets the engine rev higher and makes the scoot much more responsive. Of course, you are sacrificing a tad of the top end speed and some fuel effeciency.

If you want top-end, then you are looking at the air, fuel, and displacement. Bigger carb, bigger can, bigger jugs (sounds like a trip to the plastic surgeon...) will all make things faster. This is where it gets expensive and not so easy to change back.

Maybe a bigger engined scoot isn't a bad idea?
I'm beginning to think that the bigger scoot is the way to go. I have two teenage daughters who can't wait to get their turns at the Riva, and a slower Riva will be a better Riva in that case.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:06 AM   #5
JohnTM
I suck toes

Oddometer: 29,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al
I'm beginning to think that the bigger scoot is the way to go. I have two teenage daughters who can't wait to get their turns at the Riva, and a slower Riva will be a better Riva in that case.
Good plan. Have her check out the Big Ruckus if she's into the look. I can help you lots there...
JohnTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:52 PM   #6
ysr612
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,918
bigger scoot is the way to go. The riva 200 will top about 70. If it is rode at that speed for more then a few hundred miles it will blow up the plastic fan that cools it. Those things like speeds of less then 55 with short jumps up to 65 tops.

ysr612 screwed with this post 04-06-2006 at 06:00 PM
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:40 AM   #7
pinkie940
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr612
bigger scoot is the way to go. The riva 200 will top about 70. If it is rode at that speed for more then a few hundred miles it will blow up the plastic fan that cools it. Those things like speeds of less then 55 with short jumps up to 65 tops.
I know this is an old thread...but I must respond. The Riva 200 will do over 800 miles and 18 hours at 65-70 and still run as I rode one from Iowa to Denver last Sunday/Monday. Just saying. As for the original post, the answer is simple. If you want more power from a scooter...get a bigger one as there is no replacement for displacement.
pinkie940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:43 AM   #8
PascalM3M5
PascalM3M5

Oddometer: 25
I just bought the 1987 YAMAHA RIVA 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie940 View Post
I know this is an old thread...but I must respond. The Riva 200 will do over 800 miles and 18 hours at 65-70 and still run as I rode one from Iowa to Denver last Sunday/Monday. Just saying. As for the original post, the answer is simple. If you want more power from a scooter...get a bigger one as there is no replacement for displacement.

I just bought the 1987 YAMAHA RIVA 200. And yes it will do 70mph all the time, and some times, when all conditions are favorable, 75mph, for more than a hour with 0 concern and 0 problems. Its a great scooter, very nimble AND so very light. Its almost the same weight as the new 50cc! The Yamaha Riva 200 is 250 pounds, that is light weight! But NOW you have a high way legal 70-75 mph scooter, at bargain prices. The Yamaha Riva 200cc is the one to buy, sorry for the 180 but to much carburetor problems, so buy from the new models who arrive in 1987, Yamaha fix all the carburetor problems with a new scooter all around. I just had a 1986 Honda elite 250cc before, and the performance are very close, the torque feeling with the elite, but where the riva win hands down is for the weight and sportiness. Now *wobble*when you remove your hand from the handle bar. I will keep this riva 200 ,very easy to move around.

PascalM3M5 screwed with this post 10-04-2013 at 12:52 PM
PascalM3M5 is offline   Reply With Quote