Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #16
elementalg20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Definitely read several complaints about leg room. I'd look into a seat that's not only more comfortable but a little higher profile for the passenger, and some peg lowering blocks of some sort, add a backrest to it and I'd think it'd be very reasonable in terms of comfort. I've only sat one one, reminded me a bit of a stripped down FJR to just sit on.

Gone...1998 Triumph Trophy 1200 2000 KTM Adventure 640, 1994 BMW R1100RS, 2002 BMW K1200RS,1999 VFR800, 1996 VFR750, 1985 Maxim X, 198x 250LTD
elementalg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #17
madjak30
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
For similar money, I would look at a V-Strom DL1000...similar torque, so no problem riding two up. The seat and riding position is much more touring friendly. It's just the styling that you would have to get used to, but I've heard that the headlight on the V-Strom is incredible and it rides more sporty than it looks.

I just don't think she will enjoy the GSX1250FA after riding on the Versys. Another option is the Versys 1000, or have Kawasaki USA not imported that bike yet?

Later.

Riding since May 2010
2006 Yamaha MT-01
2003 Suzuki GS500 (SOLD)
madjak30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #18
BossMaverick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
I have a Bandit 1250 (same bike just not as much plastic). It is an awesome bike that has an excellent engine for hauling the extra weight of a passenger, plus a cargo trailer, plus a boat, plus a kitchen sink, plus a sidecar (not that I have all of those things, but it would be possible with the engine torque). The Bandit is a great bike for almost any kind of riding. It can do long trips yet it still has capability to be fun on curves. The Bandit is the only bike I've been happy with keeping for so long. I have no intentions of selling it for another bike.

Unfortunately, the pillion seat is the biggest negative about the Bandits. The foot pegs are very high up and in an awkward position. Also, the seat has very little cushion and is poorly contoured. As much as I love my Bandit, I would suggest not getting one if you are searching for a bike for passenger comfort.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:33 AM   #19
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by robfilms View Post
i often imagine comfort for the 2nd rider is determined by the addition of a backrest.

is that something easily done on a 1250?

ymmv

be well.

rob
I've done very little two up riding, but would also imagine that to be the case. There seem to be at least a few top cases that double as a backrest. That's likely the direction I'd go.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:36 AM   #20
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
While I don't have a 1250, I have a competitor in a CBF1000 with similar specs. The difference in your 650 Versys and the 1250 will be huge. I had a 650 Strom and it's a very capable motorcycle, but with full luggage and passenger, it took a lot of the performance out of bike, and fuel mileage really suffered. You're probably feeling similar with your Versys in similar circumstances.

Same luggage and passenger on the bigger bike, it doesn't care. Fuel mileage don't suffer and and as the rider you hardly feel your carrying anything.

You'll love the 1250, and adding luggage, especially the trunk, is very simple.
I've had my son on the back of the Versys and he didn't really put much additional load on the motor. Felt it pretty readily in the brakes and suspension. The woman I'm considering buying this over is maybe 50% bigger than my son though.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:39 AM   #21
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrivens View Post
I had the 1250S - the half-faired version, but with exactly the same seat/footrests/chassis etc. The engine is lovely; smooth, quiet, fuel efficient, lots of torque. Bear in mind that fuelled up the 1250s are over 270kg, so it is somewhat cumbersome at low speed with a pillion. My 20 year old daughter (and frequent pillion) is 5'3" and slim and she hated it - no legroom and the sloping seat meant she was sliding forward during braking and cornering. Another frequent pillion of mine did one 150km run on it. He is 6' tall and lightweight, and when we got home his legs had cramped from the position and I had to help him off the bike. He would not get on it again and my daughter also stopped riding it after a few 100km runs as it was too uncomfortable for her.

Both of them are fine with my other bikes and I've been carrying pillions regularly for years and can ride very smoothly with a passenger, but the complaints have been the same from everyone who rode on it - no legroom and a slippery, sloping seat. (If your pillion is used to riding on sports bikes with their knee-high pegs that may not be an issue, of course.) The pillion rests can be lowered - but not easily if you have pannier racks as they use the peg mounts. I put one of those anti-slip covers on the pillion seat which helped to some extent.

Check one out with a passenger first.
Thanks. That's the sort of complaint I was looking to hear, actually. If there are insurmountable obstacles, or things that make it difficult to do, it may be a deal breaker. Beyond checking it out in the showroom, testing isn't likely to be able to happen.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:42 AM   #22
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjak30 View Post
For similar money, I would look at a V-Strom DL1000...similar torque, so no problem riding two up. The seat and riding position is much more touring friendly. It's just the styling that you would have to get used to, but I've heard that the headlight on the V-Strom is incredible and it rides more sporty than it looks.

I just don't think she will enjoy the GSX1250FA after riding on the Versys. Another option is the Versys 1000, or have Kawasaki USA not imported that bike yet?

Later.
I've seen reports on the V 1000, but not seen it at the dealers or on the road yet. Don't think it's here yet. I did test ride a Wee before getting the Versys and although I liked it a bit, to me it seemed like a slightly heavier, more plush KLR. Have not ridden a DL1000, but the folks I know that have them don't have a bad word to say about them. That may be an option as well.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:44 AM   #23
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossMaverick View Post
I have a Bandit 1250 (same bike just not as much plastic). It is an awesome bike that has an excellent engine for hauling the extra weight of a passenger, plus a cargo trailer, plus a boat, plus a kitchen sink, plus a sidecar (not that I have all of those things, but it would be possible with the engine torque). The Bandit is a great bike for almost any kind of riding. It can do long trips yet it still has capability to be fun on curves. The Bandit is the only bike I've been happy with keeping for so long. I have no intentions of selling it for another bike.

Unfortunately, the pillion seat is the biggest negative about the Bandits. The foot pegs are very high up and in an awkward position. Also, the seat has very little cushion and is poorly contoured. As much as I love my Bandit, I would suggest not getting one if you are searching for a bike for passenger comfort.

Would an aftermarket seat and peg lowering fix this?

Old 05-16-2013, 04:36 AM   #24
jeffs900s
Prophet of Doom

Oddometer: 1,159
We did some two up on mine. As noted, the seat sucks, and there's not much leg room. My GF isnt that tall so the peg distance was not that bad for her, but if I had kept the bike, a new seat would have been in order.

You didn't really ask, but...
If you can ride one first, I would recommend it - I think the motor is outstanding, but found the rest of the package to be pretty mediocre. In fairness, "middle of the road", is probably the market niche for the bike, and I know that a lot of people love them. I just found it to be heavy and ponderous in any situation other than accelerating in a straight line. I really wish I had ridden it before making the decision to buy mine, I lost a bunch of money selling it off after a year. YMMV of course.

jeffs900s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #25
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,578
I rode the 1250 bandit a few years ago and really liked it.

I've actually been kicking around selling or trading my fjr for one. I think it would be a better sport touring bike, more sport and lesd comfortable. I imagine with a good seat and some luggage the only thing I'd be missing is some wind protection and a couple hundred pounds. I'd make that trade.

I'll be watching this close for sure. As far as that goes if someone wants to do a trade shoot me a pm, I'd probably go for it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote