ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Tell us what you'd like...
Öhlins TTx22 front fork kit 5 2.46%
Öhlins TTx44 Mk-II rear shock 11 5.42%
Both of the above 58 28.57%
I'll stick with my WP stuff and spend the money on beer 129 63.55%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
PowerCell OP
Manufacture

Oddometer: 2,269
Poll: Who's interested in Öhlins Suspension for the Big Bikes

Let's see a show of hands as to who would be interested in Öhlins suspension for either the KTM Adventure or the Super Enduro!

For years, BMW's have enjoyed the pleasure of Öhlins technology and unmatched quality. But where's the love for the orange bikes? Guess we're not ordering enough lattes...

As some of you may know, I've been running prototype Öhlins forks and shock on my SE990R for about 3 years now. In that time I've been pushing the boundaries of their suspension, and I've been nothing short of amazed with the new TTX Mk-II product.

Recently I've had several inquiries about making these items available for others to appreciate. Well, after spending some time at the Öhlins North American facility, it's become clear to me that if this is ever going to happen, we're going to have to make it happen ourselves.
  • I don't have pricing yet, but just assume it's crazy expensive.
  • Both ends would give you 277mm of travel.
  • The bike would remain close to early S height.
Have question? Let's hear 'em and I'll do my best to answer them for you...

Regards ~ Ken

www.powercellperformance.com

PowerCell screwed with this post 05-06-2013 at 07:58 PM
PowerCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #2
trc
Tim Robel Concepts

Oddometer: 128
I would be in! Any thoughts of building a shock that would match the long travel front end we have on our bikes. My front legs are off of a 09 530. From the looks of things I would think it would require a new upper shock mount to get the full travel and not be way up in the air. I could CNC them and have them ready to weld on. One way or another I would be in. Suspension is the name of the game. I was heading this route until I got caught up in the EnduroCross thing. Look forward to getting back to developing the SE!
trc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #3
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Well Ken, I've got a 950 Supermoto. I just sold a Duc S4 with Ohlins. While the Duc was really well balanced , and worked very well, I can't fault the WPs on my KTM, in reality, they are plusher than my Duc. At least any difference isn't , to me, worth the couple thousand it would be to do up my KTM.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
PowerCell OP
Manufacture

Quote:
Originally Posted by trc View Post
I would be in! Any thoughts of building a shock that would match the long travel front end we have on our bikes. My front legs are off of a 09 530. From the looks of things I would think it would require a new upper shock mount to get the full travel and not be way up in the air. I could CNC them and have them ready to weld on. One way or another I would be in. Suspension is the name of the game. I was heading this route until I got caught up in the EnduroCross thing. Look forward to getting back to developing the SE!

Hey Tim! The front suspension is physically limited by the radiator placement. We're giving up about 20mm to the EXC models in order to save that precious cooler. Also the underside of the triple clamp comes into play...

The rear shock would match the front at 277mm of wheel travel. I run this now and it's just plain ol' amazing. Guess I might have to let some people ride my bike to see what I'm talking about...

PowerCell screwed with this post 05-06-2013 at 08:17 PM
Old 05-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
PowerCell OP
Manufacture

Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
Well Ken, I've got a 950 Supermoto. I just sold a Duc S4 with Ohlins. While the Duc was really well balanced , and worked very well, I can't fault the WPs on my KTM, in reality, they are plusher than my Duc. At least any difference isn't , to me, worth the couple thousand it would be to do up my KTM.
I can appreciate that, but this would be specifically directed towards the off-road enthusiast.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #6
slowpoke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
WP suspension is already top notch! That's what I got on my GS.
slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #7
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
Yup WP is top shelf. Why would I switch to a similar level or inferior product?
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #8
trc
Tim Robel Concepts

Oddometer: 128
Got it Ken! I did move the radiator in and running a 20" front wheel. I did forget my suspension guy limited my up travel a bit for the triples. I would love to give your bike a spin. I do believe its the best setup SE out there! I'm in for both.
trc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #9
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,640
Any concept of what "crazy expensive" means? Even a ball park.

Would these be bolt on legs?
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #10
PowerCell OP
Manufacture

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
Yup WP is top shelf. Why would I switch to a similar level or inferior product?

As a guy that's worked with WP all the ways back to the White Power days, I can comfortably say that it's good suspension. Not great. Certainly not top shelf... and not even in the same ballpark as Öhlins. There's a reason why KTM doesn't even run their own product when they race.

But in line with these comments, in order to appreciate the Öhlins product you need to ride at a level that would justify the expense. I know there won't be many on here that can benefit from the upgrade, and that's why I've put out this "feeler" poll rather than go directly into production.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #11
PowerCell OP
Manufacture

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
Any concept of what "crazy expensive" means? Even a ball park.

Would these be bolt on legs?

For the forks these would be a cartridge kit. You retain your original legs, but all the internals including the springs would be swapped out. The conversion would be completely reversible should you choose to take the suspension with you to another bike...

As for price? I'm not here yet... but it would depend a small amount on participation. I think a limited production would be the smart way to go about this...

Old 05-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #12
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,662
Heya Ken

We have been trying to find out about a hydraulic or worm drive external preload adjuster for our SE.

I had one on my ST4S Duc and loved it.

Do you know if these are available at all for WP, I am a mediocre rider so I am very happy with WP for my level but an external spring preload adjuster would fill my needs well.

Please let me know

Many thanks Andi
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #13
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCell View Post
As a guy that's worked with WP all the ways back to the White Power days, I can comfortably say that it's good suspension. Not great. Certainly not top shelf... and not even in the same ballpark as Öhlins. There's a reason why KTM doesn't even run their own product when they race.

But in line with these comments, in order to appreciate the Öhlins product you need to ride at a level that would justify the expense. I know there won't be many on here that can benefit from the upgrade, and that's why I've put out this "feeler" poll rather than go directly into production.
So you're telling me a WP Trax is inferior to an Ohlins TTX? Not so. Equal, sure.

The stock WP suspenders on the 990 are FAR superior to the entry level Ohlins by a long shot.

Having owned and ridden both, at a level that would appreciate it, I can say that I am more impressed with WP than Ohlins, hands down. (I had Ohlins on my F800GS and my G450X)

And there may be a KTM or two out there that run Ohlins, but the majority of KTM riders run WP.

Not saying Ohlins is inferior or bad stuff. Just saying that saying Ohlins is superior is a stretch.

The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:41 PM   #14
PowerCell OP
Manufacture

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
So you're telling me a WP Trax is inferior to an Ohlins TTX?

Well... let's start with your pix above. What do any of these all aluminum cone valve forks have in common with the WP product that comes on a stock KTM? Not a damn thing short of their costing as much as a complete bike. The 4CS is a design entirely of compromise so WP can stop paying royalties to Öhlins for valve and reservoirs design. This is common knowledge.

And since you brought up the Trax, do you even know what a Trax shock is? It's just an SXS shock with a top-out spring built into the bottom yoke. Very cutting edge. Öhlins has the same part as a tuning item that installs internally. Not much there really. But I guess that's the beauty of the internet; everybody gets to read the random opinions of complete strangers and magically become an expert over night... next.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:15 AM   #15
kingmoochr
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCell View Post
But I guess that's the beauty of the internet; everybody gets to read the random opinions of complete strangers and magically become an expert over night... next.
And you are.....

Not all Ohlins stuff is made equal. I am not interested in suspension due to brand. I will take a custom Ohlins/WP/Penske/Marzocci over an off-the-shelf product any day, because it is designed and tuned for me.
kingmoochr is offline   Reply With Quote