Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #1
ultrachrome OP
Poser

Oddometer: 262
oil pressure light - dealer finds no fault - next steps?

2011 KTM 990 SMT, 11k miles.

Riding home from work last week, my oil pressure light came on. I pulled over and called my dealer for advice. They said ride it home (~5 miles).

After continuing, I noticed it would go on and off, staying off for as long as a mile, and at one point, it flickered in time with bumpy pavement.

The coolant overflow tank level is unchanged and my oil change from a few months ago suggested no water pump issues. I looked at the sensor connector and was able to reach in and seat the connector about another 1/8".

Rode the bike 3/4 mile to the gas station with no light (yay!) but on the way back it started flickering again (boo!).

For obvious reasons, I've been afraid to ride it and so other than bumps, I've not figured out whether it's influenced by throttle opening or RPM.

I dropped it off at the dealer on Friday and today they called to inform that after riding it, they were unable to get the light to come on.

My warranty ends in a little over a month so if this is a serious issue I want to get it diagnosed ASAP. Any ideas?
ultrachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
Mr_Snips
Husky BRAAAAAAAAP!

Oddometer: 352
Oil level? And check valve
Mr_Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
ultrachrome OP
Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Snips View Post
Oil level? And check valve
Oil level is fine. More info on check valve?
Old 05-07-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,031
assuming you've already done basics like another new oil filter, clean screens if any, made sure oil pressure switch is not smashed, etc. etc.

unscrew your pressure switch, hook up a quality oil pressure gauge. verify actual oil pressures ...
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
ultrachrome OP
Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
assuming you've already done basics like another new oil filter, clean screens if any, made sure oil pressure switch is not smashed, etc. etc.

unscrew your pressure switch, hook up a quality oil pressure gauge. verify actual oil pressures ...
We have a one-month-old child so my first priority was to get it to the dealer. Sourcing a "quality oil pressure gauge" is likely to chew up a lot of time that I don't have having never shopped for or fitted one before.

I certainly like the idea of an actual oil pressure gauge for the long term but I don't have the room to mount the typical 2" gauges I've seen so far.

I'm mainly looking for tactics to enable the dealer to find and correct the fault before my warranty expires.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrachrome View Post
We have a one-month-old child so my first priority was to get it to the dealer. Sourcing a "quality oil pressure gauge" is likely to chew up a lot of time that I don't have having never shopped for or fitted one before.

I certainly like the idea of an actual oil pressure gauge for the long term but I don't have the room to mount the typical 2" gauges I've seen so far.

I'm mainly looking for tactics to enable the dealer to find and correct the fault before my warranty expires.
you asked what to do next ... installing a pressure gauge tells if there is actual oil pressure problems and/or a faulty switch. it's not meant to be permanent
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #7
ultrachrome OP
Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
you asked what to do next ... installing a pressure gauge tells if there is actual oil pressure problems and/or a faulty switch. it's not meant to be permanent
I understand, appreciate and agree with your original comment and I'm actively looking at gauges. However, I was trying to avoid tearing down the bike to that degree given my time constraints.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,707
The easiest way to diagnose a leaking water pump is checking your clutch cover.

If there is milky residue, this indicates wp failure. Next step is laying your bike on the side and removing oil filter. Wavy filter lines indicate wp failure with certainty. Also cluttering of the valves is a strong indication of obstructed oil circulation.
Cheers.
Clutch master cylinder resleeving
Out of office 25 till 4th August
gefr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #9
ultrachrome OP
Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
If there is milky residue, this indicates wp failure. Next step is laying your bike on the side and removing oil filter. Wavy filter lines indicate wp failure with certainty. Also cluttering of the valves is a strong indication of obstructed oil circulation.
Cheers.
I've not removed the clutch cover. Will I have to replace a gasket if I pull it?
Old 05-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #10
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
My warranty ends in a little over a month so if this is a serious issue I want to get it diagnosed ASAP. Any ideas?
Sounds like you're already going this route, but get it to the dealer before the warranty expires and they should be able to fix it. If not I would assume KTM would consider it a continuing issue which would be covered by the warranty.

With a newborn at home, you have better things to do...
el queso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:27 PM   #11
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,707
Could be a bad sender. A new one is very cheap, like under $15. Just swap it out.

A real pressure gage is a better idea though.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #12
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,121
Quote:
I've not removed the clutch cover. Will I have to replace a gasket if I pull it?
No. It's a reasonably robust rubber gasket.
Mine's been off thrice in 50k miles,...still looks new
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #13
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,079
You should not have to diagnose the problem. The bike is under warranty. You have done what you should have by letting the dealer know there is a problem (within the warranty period). The dealer needs to figure it out.

Can you imagine your grandmother buying a new Ford, having the check engine light come on and the it being somehow her job to figure out what's the fault?

You have notified the dealer there is a problem within the warranty period - you are covered. If you don't trust them to take care of you that's a different problem.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #14
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,655
Keep your paperwork from that dealer visit. Hopefully they notated that they felt there is no problem. If not get them to do so.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #15
MOLAHS
Sisyphus

Oddometer: 1,655
Quote:
2011 KTM 990 SMT, 11k miles.

Riding home from work last week, my oil pressure light came on. I pulled over and called my dealer for advice. They said ride it home (~5 miles).

After continuing, I noticed it would go on and off, staying off for as long as a mile, and at one point, it flickered in time with bumpy pavement.

The coolant overflow tank level is unchanged and my oil change from a few months ago suggested no water pump issues. I looked at the sensor connector and was able to reach in and seat the connector about another 1/8".

Rode the bike 3/4 mile to the gas station with no light (yay!) but on the way back it started flickering again (boo!).

For obvious reasons, I've been afraid to ride it and so other than bumps, I've not figured out whether it's influenced by throttle opening or RPM.

I dropped it off at the dealer on Friday and today they called to inform that after riding it, they were unable to get the light to come on.

Have you checked the oil filter ? My 990SD had the same symptoms and the cause was a non-oem oil filter. It had similar distortion as that caused by coolant in the oil. The KTM mechanic said he'd seen this occur a few times with non-oem oil filters. We put in an oem filter and problem went and didn't reoccur.