User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Russia,Mongolia,Ukraine.....Netherlands on a KLR

I am adding the below link to show the route I took. The son of a friend made the map and daily links of my travels so his mother could follow along easier. I wish I knew how to create things like this.
http://user.xmission.com/~bendigr/dougtrip.html
================================================== ===================

I am planning to ride my '06 KLR650 from Cincinnati to Vancouver,Canada the last week of May. From there I want to fly the bike to Seoul,Korea. From there I will need to get insurance,license,and hopefully nothing else to ride in their country.I will ride it to a port on the Sea of Japan and put it on a ferry to Zarubino,Russia.I want to use this ferry instead of Vladivostok.The huge amount of traffic going to Vladivostok means you may wait 4 days after arriving,just for your turn in customs. The ferry going to Zarubino just started service March 17.So there is a possibility something could go amiss.

I know of several others going about the same time.Hope to meet up with any of them if possible. I was going to post my blog on Horizons Unlimited (never done that before) because they seem to be more oriented to Asian travel.But after looking at how to set it up,I threw in the towel. Way too complicated for my simple mind.

With 2 weeks to go,I am not looking too good.I have the rear shock apart waiting for parts.Last night I started replacing the fork seals and oil.With 32,000 miles on the bike,I thought I better replace the worn bushing also.All my parts should be here by Thursday.Below is what the bike looks like now.

I am not ready for this trip in any way. Schedule,route,things to see,language skills,or packing. I just bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 to replace my netbook.It looks like a year learning curve.So I won't be able to use it to full potential.It does have a translation app. Of course I know nothing about apps. I read that I could buy a hotspot and a sim card (whatever they are) when I get there,and use the tablet as an international phone.

Doogle screwed with this post 03-01-2014 at 07:37 PM
Doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:06 AM   #2
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,570
Oh hell yeah Doogle

I'm so in for this one
Old 05-08-2013, 07:09 AM   #3
0theories
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Something similar...

Hey, I'm thinking of doing something kinda similar to this on my KLR in about a year. Korea, Russia and so on (maybe Thailand on the way there). Looking forward to a detailed report on how you pull this off... Good luck on getting ready! Sounds like an amazing trip that I'll be following

Oregon to Panama RR (Guatemala actually...)
KLR Build Thread
0theories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
Slowphil
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,514
Your going to have more than one person who wants to do this trip watching you. Motorcycle travel is a bug that keeps biting you. Good luck with the bike and have an excellent trip.

Cheers Slowphil
Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #5
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 372
I'm in.
CharlestonADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
nightflyer
Hors contrôle

Oddometer: 103
most excellent!

Hey Doug,

good to see you are at it again!
Let me know if you plan to stop by Almaty, would be cool to catch up a bit... can't believe how long it has been since we last met!
nightflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #7
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
Oh hell yeah Doogle

I'm so in for this one
You're in for this one? Does that mean you want to go with me? You could postpone your return to S.A. for a while.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflyer View Post
Hey Doug,

good to see you are at it again!
Let me know if you plan to stop by Almaty, would be cool to catch up a bit... can't believe how long it has been since we last met!
I wanted to go to Kaz but ran out of time.Had to send my PP away to have $82 worth of pages added. Then the Russian visa time.I probably could have gotten it in time.But decided not to take the chance.Besides,I couldn't name anything there that I wanted to see.

I didn't know you were there.If you would show up at the ALARR once in a while,I would know these things.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #9
bwokentoof
Pollyanna Man

Oddometer: 330
Subscribed
Old 05-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #10
peter13
FJ cruiser

Oddometer: 338
Good luck mate. I ride a KLR and will be very interested in how you set it up and how it performs.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #11
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

My shock is back together with a new heavier spring.My forks are back on the bike with new seals and bushings.I replaced fuel lines and cooling system hoses.One old hose leaked antifreeze as I grabbed it near the water pump.I raised my front fender.I lowered it before my last trip after reading it would be more stable at higher speeds.

LEI is the freight forwarder that will fly my bike to Korea.Pacific Motorsports motorcycle shop will probably crate my bike for the flight.I will post costs later.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:12 AM   #12
blackcaps
Do it alone

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
.. Then the Russian visa time.I probably could have gotten it in time.But decided not to take the chance.Besides,I couldn't name anything there that I wanted to see.
Don't understand what you are saying here. Without visa you cannot go to Russia. So what?

And please give a clue as why the Netherlands is end point.
Travelled to Ural mountains in 2007. Travelled to Siberia in 2008. Travelled to Baikal and Mongolia in 2009. Travelled to Altai and Mongolia in 2010. Travelled to Russia and Mongolia in 2011. Travelled to Russia and Siberia in 2012. Travelled to Siberia, 'Dalnie Vostok' and Sachalin in 2013.
blackcaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:23 AM   #13
AlpineGuerrilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcaps View Post
Don't understand what you are saying here. Without visa you cannot go to Russia. So what?
I think he was referring to Kazakhstan, not Russia. Read the full text again in context:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
I wanted to go to Kaz but ran out of time.Had to send my PP away to have $82 worth of pages added. Then the Russian visa time.I probably could have gotten it in time.But decided not to take the chance.Besides,I couldn't name anything there that I wanted to see.
AlpineGuerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #14
KiLO
Adventure Cafe

Oddometer: 312
If you haven't yet, do yourself a favor and watch "Long Way Round". Amazing documentary series the BBC aired of Ewan McGregor and his buddy and fellow actor Charley as they travel east across Europe and the US. 20,000 mile trip through the countries you're planning.

Quote:
In 2004 Ewan and Charley embarked on an epic Long Way Round challenge, to bike 20,000-miles, cross 12 countries and 19 time zones in just 115 days. Riding their BMW GS R1200s, they crossed Europe, Ukraine, Russia, Kazakhstan and Mongolia to ride the Road of Bones through Siberia, over to Alaska, through Canada, North America and finished in New York. The Long Way Round journey would challenge their view of the world and also test their physical endurance.
You can find it pretty easily on Amazon, or their website here.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #15
SeanF
-

Oddometer: 2,152
Subscribed.